BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Just Ordered New 436HP (Newbie Sorta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally broke down and spent the money on a new 436HP. I used to be in to the scanner scene some 25 years ago and my my my has it changed. I got the 436 in hopes to get most police bands within my area. My only fear is I live in the country a few miles out and am hoping I can reach where I want. I am sure I will have questions going forward...

Thank you... I see where some folks are using rechargable batts. Does the unit recharge them if they are installed and its plugged in?

jdcaples

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP: Just Ordered New 436HP (Newbie Sorta) Reply to Thread

Thank you... I see where some folks are using rechargable batts. Does the unit recharge them if they are installed and its plugged in?

My BCD436HP is plugged in, scanning and charging the rechargeable batteries that came in the box.

-Jon

JStemann

Premium Subscriber

The scanner comes with a set of rechargeable batteries. If I remember right, it only charges when off. When the scanner is on, it's just running the scanner without charging.

Jeff.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I also "broke down" and purchased the 436. I have had many scanners throughout the years. My most recent purchase was the HP-2 a little over a year ago. I wanted a true "portable" radio with all the bells and whistles. I also like the ease of programming via sentinel. It's worked great with the HP-2.

Thanks Guys... I am excited to get it and start figuring it out. Funny thing is, I am only really interested in hearing about 10 different frequencies at best. My biggest question now, is the RadioShack RS800 antenna really that much better than the factory one it comes with?

Ok.. so I got this setup today and a little personalized to my likes but it appears everything I'm getting for police is is state and county. No city. I also notice none of my hits are in the 800mhz range. All 150s. Do I have to do something in settings to get 800 range city transmissions?

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
I am also considering a 436

I like you only monitor my county and city (Ada and Boise) LE.only has about 3 unencrypted channels along with IST. and I have had a HP-2 which worked perfect here and while on vacation. But also wanting a bit more portable might get a 436. My HP-2 picked up Payatte (VHF-UHF) county which is about 35 miles from Boise in my car using a 1/4 wave VHF outside whip. Or sometimes a low profile mobile antenna which surprisingly works very well. I always monitor Oregon freqs while heading to the coast a few times each summer going over I-84

I am thinking Amazon seems to have the best price on the 436 and free prime shipping.

mitbr

Ok.. so I got this setup today and a little personalized to my likes but it appears everything I'm getting for police is is state and county. No city. I also notice none of my hits are in the 800mhz range. All 150s. Do I have to do something in settings to get 800 range city transmissions?

Can you hear any of the Polk County 700mhz data freqs?
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8010

Pardon me but I'm learning here... it appears my city is incorpoated in the title of "Polk County" I was educated by someone in the know, LEO friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.