ka1103

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceMan

I just recently bought a ka1103 thats seems to work fairly well...
Just one quick question does this reciever have the ability to scan the stored frequencies?

SAR923

No. You can manually go through each channel using the M/F but it won't autoscan.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Nice acquisition!

Cant beat the price/performance. I really like the faux-analog ruler dial, but the multi-function wheel is holding me back. If they had put a seperate volume control and tuning control, or better yet, two tuning controls for different steps, they would appeal to a MUCH wider audience. People that are not using newer technology and PCs every day are not likely to take too well to the 1103. If I tried to put one of those in the hands of my father..........no way would he pick it up.

SpaceMan

Thats what I thought...the "memory scan tuning" was throwing me off

It is a nice little radio though im really impressed that i can listen andrews afb with the stock antenna up in northern ontario. The multi-funtion wheel kinda reminds me of the sel/vol/squelch control on my 396t...other then that im happy with the choice for my first HF reciever.

JHVH-1

I have gotten a chance to play a bit with mine, and as a receiver its very nice. The build quality is great, and now that I am used to how it operates I like it. I brought it on a Caribbean cruise last week and was able to pick up a few things that I couldn't up here. The FM reception was really nice, as I got to listen to Jamaican and Cayman radio while waiting for our ship to leave port.

Occasionally I can pick up canadian AM stations with the receiver, different ones than my DX-396 has. I didn't log them so now I forget exactly which, but I think they were in Ontario. Having SSB on a small radio like this is also handy.

There is also a trick to be able to scan frequencies outside of the bands. You have to manually input 29850 and then let it scan down (with the switch on the left side set to local stations) till it reaches between 0-100. Takes like 10-15 minutes I think. Then you store 0 in memory and you can scan up from that. Another usenet post says put in 29850 and let it scan up till it goes beyond 30,000 and store that.

You can search usenet for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.