KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
cnmsales said:
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the info to read.

Without reading it which im getting ready to do let me see if my understanding of trunked systems. Basically I broadcast on x frequency and the other person broadcasts on this x frequency and so on and so on. And the talkgroup would be all of these freqs in a list for you correct?

well kinda sorta...
the master controller at the site tells each radio what RF channel to go to and each radio follows the assignment the master controller so each radio and user stays on the right TGs and frequency.
TGs are kinda like PL/dpl codes.

the master controller assigns the next open channel that is available to each TG. so many users can share a minimal number of RF channels.

hope this helps

sm0ke

mancow

Database Admin
What's up Sm0ke? Maybe NDP and I can catch up with you at the Arrarat fest next month.

As for trunking......

The controller keeps track of everything.

Talkgroups are virtual channels that can be on any voice frequency in the system.

It's simply a way of making the most of fewer frequencies. It operates on the principal that not everyone will be talking at the same time. Otherwise ever single user group (police, fire, ems, etc....) would need a separate frequency. This would either require hundreds of repeaters or sharing.
It is possible that during very heavy use all the frequencies in the system may be in use. If you try to talk during this time the system hears your radio ask for acess to a talk group but doesn't have anything to assign you to talk on. If this happens you get a denied message often in the form of a beep or something similar.

mancow

hkrharry

Database Admin
there you go cnmsales.... ...mancow had the what i was thinking in print..... and that, mancow, should be sent over to the wiki
so it can be added to the trunking primer. that is the simplest description of trunking i have heard yet.... :D

ya i hope to catch some of you all there there at shriner fest.....

i will be there somplace i know.... not sure if i will do a table this year but who knows.....

sm0ke

cnmsales

I see so the idea behind trunking really isnt to make it so its harder for radio enthusiast to listen it so they can do more with less correct?

Im also guessing that on a trunking system ems police and fire all use the same trunk?

hkrharry

Database Admin
cnmsales said:
I see so the idea behind trunking really isnt to make it so its harder for radio enthusiast to listen it so they can do more with less correct?

Im also guessing that on a trunking system ems police and fire all use the same trunk?

yes to make more efficent use of the limited rf resource. and yes they all use the same rf frequencies as a group.

sm0ke

BigC801

sorry i havent it took me so long to respond, i work for the dam railroad and they try to keep me away from home to dam much, i was looking at the file i posted if u still want me to email it i will let me know, for plesent valley and oakview on 50 thats there main dispatch off of 154.9800 i have heard traffic on 51 and 55 i think three times plesent valley units are 700s and oakview is 900s, i have a better updated list where i have corrected some of these and as soon as i get my storage drive back in i will have it

hkrharry

Database Admin
wbigcount said:
sorry i havent it took me so long to respond, i work for the dam railroad and they try to keep me away from home to dam much, i was looking at the file i posted if u still want me to email it i will let me know, for plesent valley and oakview on 50 thats there main dispatch off of 154.9800 i have heard traffic on 51 and 55 i think three times plesent valley units are 700s and oakview is 900s, i have a better updated list where i have corrected some of these and as soon as i get my storage drive back in i will have it

dats ok

mancow opened it and posted it for me and i posted back from my master file to holes in your text file. so read back a couple of messages i have the fill in for you.... you will have to convert to afs if you need in that format...

was a interresting file to say the least...

sm0ke

BTw which RR do you work for?

BigC801

well right now i work for union pacific railroad,I am a conductor on the jeff city run so dont get to see much time at home any more to listen to kc

busaninja

DrSm0ke said:
fmon said:
It opens for me by left click then select either default txt editor or save to disk, using XP

Welcome DrSmoke, hain't heard from you in a while. :)

YA i am still around... been keeping a low profile and updating databases.

just made the move back to kansas city this month so setting up a new radio shack will be fun!!

topeka will still be in our minds as we have family there still.

as for the file, still cant get it,
just email it me or open and post it
it is a pain to try and download a "cant find file, check back later message"
i have checked back later and tried many times today. on 4 diff machines and from work too! still no go.... :( :roll:

SM0ke

http://drsm0ke.net
http://metroscan.net
http://scannercomm.com
http://byrg.net
Which Radio Shack will you be at Smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.