• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KCH19 5700/5800 dual deck - new problem

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
5700 is deck A, 5800 is deck B. I have a startup pin setup to control access. I've had no major issues, just trying to fix 2 minor issues. I made 2 changes Sunday when I reprogrammed:
1) Added a startup tone (400hz or 10ms). This did fix the powerup mute issue I have experienced.
2) I finally located a good spot to plug the ignition sense into, so I connected it, clicked the checkmark for ignition sense, and left on "Ignition & Switch".
No other programming changes made, codeplugs have been working flawlessly for 6months or more.

Now the problem. I started the car this morning, radio came on as expected. It asked for the pin, I put it in with the DTMF keypad. Then I get the "Deck Not Found" error. If I touch the power button, it power cycles, same error. If I hold the power button for 2 seconds, It power cycles, but the 2nd deck comes on and operates normally. This exact problem repeated itself this evening when I left to go home.

I can't seem to find it in the common function manual (I may have missed it), but do all decks have to connect to the ignition sense source? Currently I only have the 5700 (Deck A) connected. I'm wondering if that's my problem.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
That was my suspicion, so I built a little wye harness to get ignition sense to both decks. Popped it in this morning and that fixed my problem.

Follow up question. Is it a problem if both decks ignition sense are run off the 1 3A fuse, and are not fused independently?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I measured ignition switch current on some radios many years ago and it was under 1 amp. In fact, I think I ran a Kenwood NX series radio off a 1 amp fuse for ignition sense.

I think you are fine with a 3 amp fuse, and if it's working for you, I think that's your proof.

Splitting it after the fuse isn't a problem. The fuse is still there and will do its job.

If it makes you feel better, place a 5 amp fuse in there.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Splitting it after the fuse isn't a problem. The fuse is still there and will do its job.
That's what I was concerned about, I wasn't sure if there was any concern about one deck shorting the other somehow. Though each deck is fused individually, so I think I'm good. Just too expensive of an investment, worries me.
If it makes you feel better, place a 5 amp fuse in there.
KCT-46 comes with a 3A fuse. I'm not necessarily concerned with overdraw based on the above comment. I'm going to be installing another dual deck in another car soon, and based on this and past experience, I think I'm going to take my ignition sense wire to a buss block for everything.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Or use a KCT-72 interface cable on your KCH-19 for ignition sense. I've ran into issues with the ignition sense on multiple deck configurations not powering up sometimes. Once we moved to the control head single ignition input, never an issue losing heads and "Unit not found"

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Or use a KCT-72 interface cable on your KCH-19 for ignition sense. I've ran into issues with the ignition sense on multiple deck configurations not powering up sometimes. Once we moved to the control head single ignition input, never an issue losing heads and "Unit not found"
I take it that is pin 12:
1704823905081.png
Anything need changed in the programming to do that? I think I have the KCT-72 harness sitting around from the KAP-2 install kits.

retired25

Newbie here. I searched and was unable to find this question answered. I have a triple deck setup with a single control head. I have tried to program with the 3 files. Everything appeared to load, but my control head says unprogram. I loaded 23 channels in my Deck A, but I don't have any channels loaded in Deck B or Deck C yet. I powered the control head off and back on again with the same message. When I turn our squad ignition off the radio doesn't power off as I have set it set to ignition + switch. I have the timer set to 0. My guess is they have the radios ignition wires connected to our charge guard timer. I will see if the channels show up tomorrow morning after the squad has been turned off all night. Any suggestions? TIA.

retired25

I was using the Multi Deck to program the radios. My mistake was that I only built out the channels in deck 1, didn't add channels to my other two decks. Once I put at least one channel in each deck I was able to program via Multi Deck, and everything appeared. I ran into an interesting issue with my 7/800 deck when I tried to add a interop 851.5125 simplex channel , it told me that the TX frequency was not in range. It was automatically trying to put the offset for a repeater pair instead. Slowly I am catching on.