• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Jitter Buffer / Network issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4UVJ

I currently run a 2 channel, 3 site (Central, East and South) Kenwood Nexedge conventional voter IP system that is linked via microwave (airmux 400's). The East site has both RX and TX for both Channels, Central is channel 1 TX and South is channel 2 TX. Channel 1 voter is in central site, channel 2 voter is at south site.

The problems I'm having is that the East site is about a 5 mile link, and I'm getting broken/garbled audio, out of that transmitter. Not all the time but most transmissions have some garbling, seems to be more prevalent when they de-key.

The link signal strength to and from the East site is around -64 on both MW antennas, they are the flat panel on both sites. I have already been told that this set up is pretty much at it's threshold, and needs to have parabolic dishes. We are moving or adding another transmit site in the next couple months but need to square this away.

The links are running at around a 5ms latency with no packet loss to the east site, I use PRTG to monitor the network.

About the only setting I see that might help me is the jitter buffer. Can someone help me out with how it works in this situation? (yes I've read the 129 help topics).

I guess my main question is that should the jitter buffer setting be the same across all repeaters? Or can I mix and match to get the best performance? Would increasing the minimum or maximum be best?

I do have complete control over the repeaters, I do not have any access other than observer on the links.

Thanks in advance.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
jitter buffer should be the same across all sites.
I have found 8 is pretty good. I work on a 9 site single channel network and that's what I have
the buffer set to.

KI4UVJ

Hey thanks for the reply. The buffer on the 810's (should have stated this prior) are set in steps of 80ms.. Default for the buffer is 400ms max and 80ms min.

I painstakingly sat and adjusted this until I began to hear improvement over several days and found a happy spot for the EAST TX which is max buffer is set at 160ms and the min is turned off. Finally got rid of the majority of the garbling.

Thanks!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Congrats. Good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.