Kenwood: Kenwood TH-D75, can't get DSTAR to work

mortoma61

if you have not, join the TH-D75 Facebook group, there's plenty of help there. But you do need to be specific as to your settings and PC or Android device. I use BlueDV Connect with a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite via BlueTooth and BlueDV for Widows via USB. The in depth manual mentioned above is very specific on using those two applications.
Well thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't do any social media at all. Don't believe in it, don't need it. Which in-depth manual mentioned above are you referring to? I mentioned a few myself. That YouTube video should have done the trick but he stops at installation when it's all set up properly. Unfortunately, he doesn't go any further, such as how to make contacts or how to troubleshoot possible problems. He assumes it's going to work.

mortoma61

if you have not, join the TH-D75 Facebook group, there's plenty of help there. But you do need to be specific as to your settings and PC or Android device. I use BlueDV Connect with a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite via BlueTooth and BlueDV for Widows via USB. The in depth manual mentioned above is very specific on using those two applications.
I don't do Facebook or any social media at all. So that can't help me.

mortoma61

I don't have a hotspot. I've tried both BlueDV-Connect via Bluetooth and BlueDV for Windows via USB, using very informative YouTube videos and Kenwood's own specific tutorial for using DSTAR. Nothing works. I've meticulously checked every setting, every time. No DSTAR.
Do you have a hotspot? If yes, then use BlueDV for Windows. If no, use BlueDV-Connect on Android with Bluetooth.

mortoma61

Here is a question that I seen no one asked and you haven't said anything about. Have you registered your callsign with DSTAR yet? https://regist.dstargateway.org/instructions/et?
Yep, I did that. Who knows if I did it right because they only have a cursory explanation of what to do. Nothing explicit or detailed as far as crossing your T's and dotting your I's at all. So I may have done something wrong. But I can log in and see my callsign.

And this was discussed already but it's hard to read the whole novel that this thread has become. This is a problem with threads when asking for help, it often gets to the point where someone will come in with great intentions (thank you, BTW) but unless they spend a half hour reading every little nuance they will make a suggestion already suggested or ask a question that's already been asked. I get it, it happens and is expected. And of course I'm already seeing lots of repetition and not much new.

One thing I wonder about is someone wrote that there is no need to register for both DMR and DSTAR. I registered somewhere a few months back for DMR and got my magic number for that. Maybe that is interfering with my DSTAR registration? The place I registered for DMR was strictly only for DMR as I remember it and no mention was made about DSTAR or Fusion or any other digital mode. So that confuses me.

Last edited:

mortoma61

Heres an idea...connect bluetooth from android to kenwood. Then, PTT and talk.
I've already connected via Bluetooth several times to my Android phone with the BlueDV Connect software installed. Also connected via USB cable to the Blue DV for Windows software. When I push the PTT (either software) when connected to any of dozens of reflectors, the BlueDV screen changes colors but nothing other than that happens. Your post doesn't seem specific enough.

dickie757

Wired
BlueDV on Windows does not work with USB<---->Kenwood.

My takeaway from this is no one is on the other end to talk back, or they dont want to talk yet.

mortoma61

BlueDV on Windows does not work with USB<---->Kenwood.

My takeaway from this is no one is on the other end to talk back, or they dont want to talk yet.
BlueDV for Windows does indeed work, I've seen it demonstrated. And there should be hundreds of people on DSTAR all the time. And I should be able to listen to them if it was working correctly. And of course talk to them too. But no joy.

w4kws

I have the exact same issue with the D75 and BlueDV connect. I can RX on a reflect but TX does not pass. All settings are correct as per Kenwood and many many others having checked setup. Any ideas or solutions.

I don't have a hotspot. I've tried both BlueDV-Connect via Bluetooth and BlueDV for Windows via USB, using very informative YouTube videos and Kenwood's own specific tutorial for using DSTAR. Nothing works. I've meticulously checked every setting, every time. No DSTAR.
Did you ever find solution?

w4kws

I have the exact same issue with the D75 and BlueDV connect. I can RX on a reflect but TX does not pass. All settings are correct as per Kenwood and many many others having checked setup. Any ideas or solutions.

Did you ever find solution?
No, the current author of BlueDV connect David has confirmed he found the issue; my guess is an update to the app is in the works. PA7LIM is doing magnificent work. Thank you

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
BlueDV for Windows does indeed work, I've seen it demonstrated. And there should be hundreds of people on DSTAR all the time. And I should be able to listen to them if it was working correctly. And of course talk to them too. But no joy.
Mortomas. Once you connect BlueDV look at the top row of the software, Dstar should be listed in the first drop down box. the next drop down box is where all the reflectors are. Set the box to REF001. The next box are letters. Select letter C (this is the DStar mega reflector) Then press and hold the up arrow on the TH-D75 until the use reflector menu and select that. Then on the software, select the blue box next to the letter C that says link. You should hear your radio announce that you are connected to the reflector and then you can make contacts.