Khz vs Mhz vs Kc vs Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I'm an old man. I have been a shortwave listener since the early 1960s. My main hobby these days is restoring antique radios. Some of you may know me from the Philco Phorum where I have been active for years. I was reading a thread about Genesis Communications on 4.84 MHZ. Someone made a reply that people don't use Mhz any more, and just use Khz. They should speak for themselves. I actually go back to the days when we used kiloCYCLES, Kc for standard broadcast AM (540-1600 Kc) and megaCYCLES, Mc for shortwave. Then the term HERTZ began to be used instead of cycles per second, so things changed to kilohertz and megahertz. This new shift to using only kilohertz seems to have come about with digital tuning, and reflects the numbers which a person must punch in to the keypad to tune to the station. That's fine. If you like to call it that, I am bright enough to understand you; but please don't impose your own preference on everybody. To call 4.84 Mc "4.84 Mhz" is perfectly understandable to anybody but the most obtuse beginner in shortwave listening, and referring to that frequency as "4840 Khz" , while also technically correct, actually sounds peculiar to those of us who have been around the hobby for much longer than most of you have been alive.

Gads..."megahertz" and "kilohertz" are the accepted terms today. Just like saying that it is the year "2021", "mc" and "kc" are *long" outdated and contrary to current international standards. Back then it was actually "kilocycles per second", or "kc/s", and "megacycles per second", or "Mc/s" with leaving off the "per second" just considered wrong (as it is) in the circles I move in. By the way,- the correct abbreviations are "kHz" and "MHz" not any of the above that you gave ("MHZ" or "KHz") and it does make a difference. "Hz" because it is name after a proper name" and never the capitol "K" for "kilo" because "K" means Kelvin units of temperature. Saying "mhz" as seen often on RR is even worse ("m" stands for ".001" not "1000000", which is 1000000. This is not being picky, it is being right. (By the way, it is wrong to say "degrees Kelvin" as just "Kelvin" is correct.) Arguments to "preference" or "hobby" are not an excuse to be wrong or out-dated and even make it hard to read. And I also started listening in 1960's. I have been an editor of several publications (hobby and technical). Any of those errors above would have led to rejections for re-write. Sorry if this sounds very negative, but being correct is a good thing to be.

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Gads..."megahertz" and "kilohertz" are the accepted terms today. Just like saying that it is the year "2022" "mc" and "kc" are *long" outdated and contrary to current international standards. Back then it was actually "kilocycles per second", or "kc/s", and "megacycles per second", or "Mc/s" with leaving off the "per second" just considered wrong (as it was) in the circles I move in. By the way,- the correct abbreviations are "kHz" and "MHz" not any of the above that you gave ("MHZ" or "KHz") and it does make a difference. "Hz" because it is name after a proper name" and Never "K" for "kilo", because "K" means Kelvin units of temperature. Saying "mhz" as seen often on RR is even worse ("m" stands for ".001" not "1000000", which is 1000000. This is not being picky, it is being right. (By the way, it is wrong to say "degrees Kelvin" as just "Kelvin" is correct.) Arguments to "preference" or "hobby" are not an excuse to be wrong or out-dated and even make it hard to read. And I also started listening in 1960's. I have been an editor of several publications (hobby and technical). And of those error above would have led to rejections for re-write. Sorry if this sounds very negative, but being correct is a good thing to be.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Gads..."megahertz" and "kilohertz" are the accepted terms today. Just like saying that it is the year "2021", "mc" and "kc" are *long" outdated and contrary to current international standards. Back then it was actually "kilocycles per second", or "kc/s", and "megacycles per second", or "Mc/s" with leaving off the "per second" just considered sloppy (as it is) in the circles I move in. By the way,- the correct abbreviations are "kHz" and "MHz" not any of the above that you gave ("MHZ" or "KHz") and it does make a difference. "Hz" because it is name after a proper name" and never the capitol "K" for "kilo" because "K" means Kelvin units of temperature. Saying "mhz" as seen often on RR is even worse ("m" stands for ".001" not "1000000", which is 1000000. This is not being picky, it is being right. (By the way, it is wrong to say "degrees Kelvin" as just "Kelvin" is correct.) Arguments to "preference" or "hobby" are not an excuse to be wrong or out-dated and even make it hard to read. And I also started listening in 1960's. I have been an editor of several publications (hobby and technical). Any of those errors above would have led to rejections for re-write. Sorry if this sounds very negative, but being correct is a good thing to be.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Some more that are pretty much gone:

Mobile phone
Centigrade
Dungarees
Rolodex
Stewardess
Necking
Icebox
Courting
Percolator
Videotape
Boob tube
Rubbers (Boots, erasers or condoms. You choose.)
Gallivant
Britches
Yuppie

If you're over 70, however, there's a good chance you still use some of these.

mikethedruid

Some more that are pretty much gone:

Mobile phone
Centigrade
Dungarees
Rolodex
Stewardess
Necking
Icebox
Courting
Percolator
Videotape
Boob tube
Rubbers (Boots, erasers or condoms. You choose.)
Gallivant
Britches
Yuppie

If you're over 70, however, there's a good chance you still use some of these.

These really brought back memories. When I was a kid my parents still called the refrigerator an "ice box" although it was not cooled by a big block of ice. When I was a little kid my family lived in Vermont where the snow gets deep in the winter. All us kids wore rubber boots which went on over your shoes and clamped closed with metal clips on the front. They were called "rubbers" by some, or "overshoes" or "galoshes" by others.

N4DJC

iscanvnc2 , Do you remember the early digital clocks, alarm clocks mostly, as I remember, which used flippy digits on little cards that flipped sequentially to show the time? It was purely mechanical. I also remember reading about other electro mechanical systems used for early digital displays, but they were not commonly seen outside of military and scientific gear because of price.

Remember? I probably still have one somewhere :) think maybe a GE.

The only reason I replaced ours was the annoying (in the dead of night) “clicks” when the numbers changed.

WPXS472

Being a senior citizen myself, this is all too familiar. I remember distinctly when cycles per second became Hertz. Things change, and we have to change with them. Like it or not. My mind operates on the imperial system of measurement, and I cannot get it to operate in the metric system. In the resulting arguments about the merits of the metric system, I have yet to hear an argument for it that made any real sense to me. Of course to the adherents of the metric system, it makes perfect sense. I always like it when they talk about how the meter is based on a precise natural, physical entity. If you take time to read the history of the meter, you will find that is not true. it is based on an arbitrary standard, as is the imperial system. Actually, the imperial system now uses the metric system as a reference. Tomato, tomahto, we are talking about the same thing. The name may change, but it is the same.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Sometime in 1968-69 during my cram course in Advanced Electronic, courtesy U.S. Navy the switch was on from cycle to hertz. I still trip myself up from time to time in radio discussions using cycles. Most don't seem to notice or being polite not to correct me. :)

Token

I'm an old man. I have been a shortwave listener since the early 1960s. My main hobby these days is restoring antique radios. Some of you may know me from the Philco Phorum where I have been active for years. I was reading a thread about Genesis Communications on 4.84 MHZ. Someone made a reply that people don't use Mhz any more, and just use Khz. They should speak for themselves. I actually go back to the days when we used kiloCYCLES, Kc for standard broadcast AM (540-1600 Kc) and megaCYCLES, Mc for shortwave.

Sort of. There is no "official" standard (within a hobby community) for when to switch from kc (or kHz) to mc (or MHz), but the general rule I was taught in the 1960's was that (assuming you knew the frequency with enough precision) it was expressed in kHz (or kc) below 30 MHz, and MHz (or Mc) above 30 MHz, until you got up to 1000 MHz when you shifted to GHz (or kMc). Some people will say kHz (or kc) up to 3000 kHz, then MHz above that. It was very common, because of indicator limitations, to not know your frequency down to the kHz level, and so you might want to express the frequency in MHz instead of kHz if you did not know exactly what it was.

So to me shortwave has always (since my introduction, it sounds like around the same time as you) been expressed in kHz or kcs. My ham logs from the 60's all have the freq in kHz if I knew it.

However, most shortwave receiver main dials were in Mhz (or Mc). The bandspread dial (if it was so equipped) might be in kcs or in Mcs, depending on the brand or model. For example, if you look at a Hallicrafters SX-28 bandspread dial you will see that 80, 40, and 20 meters are all in kcs, while 10 and above are in Mcs. But the Hammarlund HQ-129X (roughly the same vintage) is all in Mcs.

The fact that someone chooses to use MHz vs kHz below 30 MHz does not bother me. But I will sometimes comment that the prevailing "convention" today is kHz below 30 MHz.

Then the term HERTZ began to be used instead of cycles per second, so things changed to kilohertz and megahertz. This new shift to using only kilohertz seems to have come about with digital tuning, and reflects the numbers which a person must punch in to the keypad to tune to the station.

Re the shift to kHz being a digital tuning derived thing, I don't think so, I think it predates that.

Sometime take a look at a BC-221 or an LM series frequency meter calibration book (these WW II surplus freq meters were commonly used with SW receivers to get accurate frequency indications). You will find all the frequencies, up to 20 MHz (were the books stop), listed in kcs.

Read a period book like the "ABC's of Short-wave Listening" (1962) and you will see it specifically say some SW station schedules are listed in kc, and others are listed in mc, so the ability to freely shift back and forth is a necessity. After that this book goes on to list all SW station schedules in kc, and defines the common shortwave band edges in kc. It uses kc far more than mc when discussing shortwave frequencies.

Or we can go on to find hundreds of further examples, if needed. But the end result is, the use of kHz (or kc) at SW frequencies far predates the ready availability of digital readouts in the hobby. And without a real driving "standard" it probably varied from region to region.

That's fine. If you like to call it that, I am bright enough to understand you; but please don't impose your own preference on everybody. To call 4.84 Mc "4.84 Mhz" is perfectly understandable to anybody but the most obtuse beginner in shortwave listening, and referring to that frequency as "4840 Khz" , while also technically correct, actually sounds peculiar to those of us who have been around the hobby for much longer than most of you have been alive.

Times change. Sometimes you must adapt. At this point there are more people in the hobby that have never heard the term kc or mc in common use than have heard those. If you insisted on staying with the "old" standard of mc or kc you would appear to be uniformed, because that is no longer the way it is done. The fact of the matter is that the use of kHz instead of MHz, in your example the use of 4840 kHz vs 4.84 MHz, is common today. Arguably more common, but I am not sure a study has been done. And it is not wrong, technically or otherwise.

T!

mikethedruid

Sort of. There is no "official" standard (within a hobby community) for when to switch from kc (or kHz) to mc (or MHz), but the general rule I was taught in the 1960's was that (assuming you knew the frequency with enough precision) it was expressed in kHz (or kc) below 30 MHz, and MHz (or Mc) above 30 MHz, until you got up to 1000 MHz when you shifted to GHz (or kMc). Some people will say kHz (or kc) up to 3000 kHz, then MHz above that. It was very common, because of indicator limitations, to not know your frequency down to the kHz level, and so you might want to express the frequency in MHz instead of kHz if you did not know exactly what it was.

So to me shortwave has always (since my introduction, it sounds like around the same time as you) been expressed in kHz or kcs. My ham logs from the 60's all have the freq in kHz if I knew it.

However, most shortwave receiver main dials were in Mhz (or Mc). The bandspread dial (if it was so equipped) might be in kcs or in Mcs, depending on the brand or model. For example, if you look at a Hallicrafters SX-28 bandspread dial you will see that 80, 40, and 20 meters are all in kcs, while 10 and above are in Mcs. But the Hammarlund HQ-129X (roughly the same vintage) is all in Mcs.

The fact that someone chooses to use MHz vs kHz below 30 MHz does not bother me. But I will sometimes comment that the prevailing "convention" today is kHz below 30 MHz.

Re the shift to kHz being a digital tuning derived thing, I don't think so, I think it predates that.

Sometime take a look at a BC-221 or an LM series frequency meter calibration book (these WW II surplus freq meters were commonly used with SW receivers to get accurate frequency indications). You will find all the frequencies, up to 20 MHz (were the books stop), listed in kcs.

Read a period book like the "ABC's of Short-wave Listening" (1962) and you will see it specifically say some SW station schedules are listed in kc, and others are listed in mc, so the ability to freely shift back and forth is a necessity. After that this book goes on to list all SW station schedules in kc, and defines the common shortwave band edges in kc. It uses kc far more than mc when discussing shortwave frequencies.

Or we can go on to find hundreds of further examples, if needed. But the end result is, the use of kHz (or kc) at SW frequencies far predates the ready availability of digital readouts in the hobby. And without a real driving "standard" it probably varied from region to region.

Times change. Sometimes you must adapt. At this point there are more people in the hobby that have never heard the term kc or mc in common use than have heard those. If you insisted on staying with the "old" standard of mc or kc you would appear to be uniformed, because that is no longer the way it is done. The fact of the matter is that the use of kHz instead of MHz, in your example the use of 4840 kHz vs 4.84 MHz, is common today. Arguably more common, but I am not sure a study has been done. And it is not wrong, technically or otherwise.

T!

mikethedruid

" The fact of the matter is that the use of kHz instead of MHz, in your example the use of 4840 kHz vs 4.84 MHz, is common today. Arguably more common, but I am not sure a study has been done. And it is not wrong, technically or otherwise. " I never said it was wrong, but neither is kilocycles or megacycles. In terms of where the use of megacycles began, in the old days I remember kilocycles commonly being used for the AM broadcast band, 540 - 1600 kilocycles, or perhaps 1720 kilocycles if you included the old low police band. Above that we used megacycles, well, almost all of us did. As for the young being forgiven for being insolent about the use of the older terms, NO. I don't accept that at all. I have long been an active member of the antique radio collectors community, and contribute on several of the fora. I still call a condenser a condenser, although I am familiar with the more modern term "capacitor". People understand me perfectly well, and don't "correct" me. There, thank goodness, people are willing to learn the old as well as the new, and not act like such self righteous infants; and this controversy about the terms kilocycle, megacycle, kilohertz, and megahertz never seems to come up.

Token

As for the young being forgiven for being insolent about the use of the older terms, NO. I don't accept that at all. I have long been an active member of the antique radio collectors community, and contribute on several of the fora. I still call a condenser a condenser, although I am familiar with the more modern term "capacitor".

The problem with that attitude is simple time. No one should be insolent over such a thing, but possibly a lack of understanding can appear as, or be mistaken for, insolence when none was intended. Sometimes insolence is a two way street that feeds off of itself.

kc and mc have not been the standards of use in the US for almost 60 years, that is just short of 3 generations. While the use of kc and mc is easy enough to understand, even if not current, you are asking some people to know terms that went out of use before their parents were alive. They might have literally never been exposed to them. It is kind of like using jow's and scrupulum's (particularly in abbreviation form), not wrong, but might confuse some otherwise knowledgeable new people. A young person might see you use the term "mc" when you obviously (to them) mean "MHz" and, if they have never been taught what mc means, they might come to a quite logical (if wrong) conclusion that you have made an error.

It is understandable that people within the antique radio community might be more understanding of the use or archaic terms. The radio dials and manuals associated with such radios will make people aware of the terms, even if nothing else does. But you cannot be surprised if a hobbyist today, that has never used a 50 year old radio, is unfamiliar with the term and believes you have made an error.

Yes, I use kc and mc (and kMc) regularly myself, they are the terms I first learned. When I do use them, I typically use them more often in speech than in written text (I am more likely to say "kilocycles" than to write the term "kc"). And I often sue "kMc" to mess with newer guys on my team. But I also realize, in some cases, otherwise knowledgeable people may have no idea what I am saying and it is not their fault if they misunderstand. And if I were to stand up in front of a group of engineers today and give a presentation full of such use they would probably wonder how seriously they should take the rest of what I said, even if many of them are familiar with the terms themselves.

T!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Why was it changed from cycles to Hertz?

Wikipedia covers it pretty well:

The hertz is named after the German physicist Heinrich Hertz (1857–1894), who made important scientific contributions to the study of electromagnetism. The name was established by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) in 1935.[9] It was adopted by the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) (Conférence générale des poids et mesures) in 1960, replacing the previous name for the unit, "cycles per second" (cps), along with its related multiples, primarily "kilocycles per second" (kc/s) and "megacycles per second" (Mc/s), and occasionally "kilomegacycles per second" (kMc/s). The term "cycles per second" was largely replaced by "hertz" by the 1970s.[10][failed verification]​
Sometimes the adjectival form "per second" was omitted, so that "megacycles" (Mc) was used as an abbreviation of "megacycles per second" (that is, megahertz (MHz)).[11]

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Okay, in that case, I propose some changes:
Bifocals to Franklins
Incandescent light bulb to Edison
Printing press to Gutenberg
Calculator to Pascal

And finally,
Retirement to Hopkins (While I didn't invent it, I perfected it back in 2007.)

Status
Not open for further replies.