Kib 511

Status
Not open for further replies.

red8

RadioJonD said:
As Steve said, morse identifiers are in place at some posts now.

To reply to your initial post Bee, you just notice them saying it more now because the Q*C Post went back to a transmitter without morse id. Before, you didn't hear any voice id at all and now you hear it after just about every transmission as was the former custom. The newer folks at the post just don't know how and when to roll it off without sounding (for lack of a better term) silly.

Oh yeah, if I only had a nickle for everytime I said "KIB-511" I could retire!
Hey Jon,
When I worked at the Sheriff's office here in Baton Rouge, we would have to do an Id everytime we wodld key up and at the end of every transmission.(i,e) KKC 654 to K 33,
10-4 K33, 654. this was on the old low band. In the late 80's we went to 800 and the call sign was sent out in some sort of morse code every 30 minutes. 654 was put to rest and we became headquarters, after that.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
As far as the time goes, after we stopped voice id we had to have something to mark the end of a message/com sequence, so the time was it. Again, no one at the QC post now remembers the "the old days" and simply sound awkward giving the time and call sign.

Though FCC rules/regs state (or at least used too) that each letter and number be distinctly pronounced, five eleven rolls off the tongue better than five-one-one. Many agencies before morse id would combine numbers that way. Not one time in any radio room of which I have worked have I ever seen an FCC official.

For the record, I was known to say “King-Ida-Boy – Five-One-One” on occasion! Or, “KIB <slight pause> Five-One-One.” Most of the time it was to show my annoyance or to punctuate the importance of a particular transmission. We had one operator who sometimes dropped the KIB altogether and just said “Five-Eleven.”

For me, hearing KIB-511 sounds nostalgic even if it doesn’t flow as smoothly in the transmissions as it once did. Part of that is because of not hearing it at all for several years. Bee, hopefully the Q*C Post will go back to morse id soon before you go off the deeper end, eh? The bad thing about when that happens is they might be on a system we can't monitor!

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Montgomery PD dispatchers used to try to say their call sign (KIB534) as fast as possible. It came out as "Kibbie 5-3-4.

I've also heard several local PDs and SOs give their call sign at the end of a transmission - about every 30 minutes or so - and give the time as well.

DARRELL

Premium Subscriber
I will give my view on this subject from being out in a patrol car. Troopers are not always able to hear the radio transmissions of other cars when they are communicating with the dispatchers. This is because DPS does not utilize a repeater system like most agencies. The use of the call letters or giving the time at the end of a transmission is a signal that the radio traffic between the dispatcher and trooper is finished and the radio is clear for another unit to transmit. Some dispatchers do not use either at times and it is difficult to know if the radio is clear for further transmissions.

Huntsville and Decatur Posts use the morse code identifier so you do not hear the call signs given as often as many of the other trooper posts.

The practice of giving the time insures consistency between the post radio logs and the times placed on crash reports, arrest reports, DUI arrests, etc. These documents require dispatch, arrival, arrest, in-service times, etc. Many in-depth investigations even contain copies of dispatch logs. It is essential that times match especially during courtroom testimony.

Some departments, Madison PD for example, give the time after every radio transmission. Personally, I think it sounds very professional.

Darrell

delta_p

bee said:
(1) Why do they give the time of day? ...

If you don't know, just say "I don't know"!

EDIT: I should have read the whole thread..I see this is posted above.

They're probably recording the audio traffic....for court purposes??? Madison City PD time stamps there transmissions too, but does not ID the station.

I don't know.

PP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.