Kib 511

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee

After almost every message the "Shoals" dispatchers, for "State Troopers" repeat "KIB 511". As far as I know, this only has to be announced about every 30 mins. They will also announce the time of day. Example "10-4, A 100, 10:53, KIB 511". All of the "State Trrooper dispatchers" in the "Shoals area" do this.

I suppose they think, it makes them sound "OFFICIAL"!

KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, 11:30 AM!

bee

Although, the link you provided is official, your post did not address my "statements"! I will ask it differently, Why at the end of almost every transmission do the "Quad City dispatchers say "KIB 511",and give the "time of day"?

As stated before, as far as I know this only has to be repeated about every 30 min.

These are the only dispatchers I have heard, that do this. Maybe they don't have anything else to do!

Or as stated before, I guess they think, it makes them sound "OFFICIAL"!

KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 51, KIB 511, KIB 511, 12:42

oldranger

Station I.D.

Operators are required to I.D. every transmission and give the time at the end of the transmission.
Trace1 can probably give you a more accurate reply when he gets around to scanning the post again.
I think I am close.

WB4LFC..............13:30

trace1

bee said:
Although, the link you provided is official, your post did not address my "statements"! I will ask it differently, Why at the end of almost every transmission do the "Quad City dispatchers say "KIB 511",and give the "time of day"?

Well, actually in your first post you asked no question, just made a few comments...

bee said:
After almost every message the "Shoals" dispatchers, for "State Troopers" repeat "KIB 511". As far as I know, this only has to be announced about every 30 mins. They will also announce the time of day. Example "10-4, A 100, 10:53, KIB 511". All of the "State Trrooper dispatchers" in the "Shoals area" do this.

I suppose they think, it makes them sound "OFFICIAL"!

KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, 11:30 AM!

If you will reread your post you're sure to see that there wasn't a question there. Mostly just a rambling about the State Trooper post repeating KIB511 over and over and then saying that you supposed it makes them sound "official".

As far as my initial response to you, which you seemed not to understand, I provided you with a link that shows the license KIB511 to be the official call letters (or call sign) as assigned by an "official" Government agency...

bee said:
"kIB 511".

LOL!

Since you find humor in the use of "KIB511 I'm not sure that you'll understand why the dispatchers use it so often, but...

oldranger said:
Operators are required to I.D. every transmission and give the time at the end of the transmission.

That seems to sum it quite nicely...

oldranger said:
Trace1 can probably give you a more accurate reply when he gets around to scanning the post again.

Gee, I hope I wasn't too harsh with my answer... ;)

bee said:
Or as stated before, I guess they think, it makes them sound "OFFICIAL"!

KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 511, KIB 51, KIB 511, KIB 511, 12:42

Yep, like I said before it is "official"!!!

Steve

"Old" DPS communications policy was to ID at the end of a "complete" transmission; example: A-110 to Quad Cities, 10-28 > Quad Cities A-110 > Quad Cities 10-28 is 41A234C > 10-4 A-110 KIB511.
That being said some PCOs give the callsign at the end of every transmission.
All of this "may" in the future since alot the the Posts are now using a CW/Morse Code
ider on a timer.

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087
DPS PCO (Retired) Alexander City & Opelika Post

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
The Mobile, AL post is KIB515 and at the end of every complete transmission, they ID them selves. Sure, it may sound old fasion, and it does get old, but it's in the SOP's and they have been doing it for years.

oldranger

Station I.D.s

I can rember years ago when all the police departments were on the same frequency,state,county and municiple shared the frequency.Back then they really had to I.D.to know who's who.The time was given out at night for the patrolman's benifit.

We dont have to do this in Huntsville....wonder why? I think the sheriffs dept system does it automatically via morse code every few hours

Steve

With the advent of the CW/Morse Code "iders" alot of departments use the "ider" method which is accepted by the FCC. It is just in the last year or so that ALDPS has started using the Iders. The PCOs still give the callsign of the Post because like kingpin said "it's in the SOP's and they have been doing it for years".

toadtraxracing, most trunked system use some form of CW/Morse Code ider.
Sometimes you can hear the callsign ided if you listen to the frequencies in conventional mode on a scanner or if you use Trunker or Unitrunker (and like) you will see "CWid" in the display (I think).

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF90987

bee

oldranger, "operaters are required to id every transmission and give the time of day". Where can I find this information? KIB 511. 12:43, temp. 35%. KIB 511

Last edited:

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
bee said:
oldranger, "operaters are required to id every transmission and give the time of day". Where can I find this information? KIB 511. 12:43, temp. 35%. KIB 511

From the FCC Rule book online or in printed form.

§ 90.425 Station identification.

Stations licensed under this part shall transmit identification in accordance
with the following provisions: (a) Identification procedure. Except as
provided for in paragraph (d) of this section, each station or system shall be
identified by the transmission of the assigned call sign during each transmission
or exchange of transmissions, or once each 15 minutes (30 minutes in
the Public Safety Pool) during periods of continuous operation. The call sign
shall be transmitted by voice in the English language or by International
Morse Code in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section.

oldranger

I.d. Sop

It is more than likely written in the radio operators guides for their departments.
I got my information from the police officers that had been in my family.I used to set around and hear them talking shop.
Give me a little time and I will give you a better answer.The local sheriff is afriend of mine along with several other officers.
Another source may be found in FCC rules and regulations governing what used to be 3rd Class Radio Operaters.
That class of radio operators has been renamed and I don't what is called right now.
I used to hold an FCC 1st Class License but that mostly dealt with with the technical side of radio.
I hope this will help. I found this in one of my old text books(Shrader Electronic Communication,5th Edition,Copyright 1985) regarding The Public Safety Radio Service.Operators will transmit identifying calls at the end of each exchange of transmissions,or at 30 minute intervals,as the licensee prefers.
I don't know if that cleared it up for you or not. It ias clear as mud for me.

bee

Thank you, oldranger! Yes that cleared it up(I think). As I understand your post( and as I stated in my first post) the call sign only has to be repeated every 30 mins for public saftey. According to your post, it can be repeated after every transmission, if a dispatcher, wishes to do that!

But what about announcing the "time of day"!

"KIB 511", 10:30 AM.

Oh, by the way, I believe it should be,"five, one, one" instead of "five eleven" as in ----"nine, one, one", 911!!

KIB, five, one, one. 10:39AM.

Steve

bee,

AL DPS's policy was to give callsign and time (may still be that way). I was always told "that is how it was done in the past and we will do it that way now".
AL DPS always the same and never change.

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

Status
Not open for further replies.