L.A. County EDACS System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, sometimes when I'm monitoring the L.A. County EDACS System it will stop on a TG and blink but I won't hear the transmission then I'll hear the next transmission. So basically I can monitor a conversation but then the scanner will blink on a TG and I won't hear the transmission but then I'll hear the next one. Is there any specific reason for that?

brandon

Database Admin
Sounds like the LCN order isn't valid in your scanner. I would double check the order and frequencies.

Well I can hear the TGs its just that sometimes I'll miss a transmission, also I get a weak signal sometimes. I have to hold the scanner up or move it to a particular location to get decent reception. I put an 800mhz antenna on the scanner 2 days ago.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
If that particular LCN frequency is too weak to break the squelch, it will blink on that talkgroup, then move on. (Depending on the scanner.) I bet you notice that some of the frequencies come in loud and clear, while others are scratchy sometimes, correct?

If that particular LCN frequency is too weak to break the squelch, it will blink on that talkgroup, then move on. (Depending on the scanner.) I bet you notice that some of the frequencies come in loud and clear, while others are scratchy sometimes, correct?

Yes!! Exactly! Anything I can do about it? Also, if I hold the scanner ina particular spot in my room it will have decent reception. I live in City Terrace, theres lots of hilly streets here, may that be a problem? I note that the field units in Lancaster come in much clearer than the dispatchers at the call center in Downey.

Okay, I put the LA County EDACS system in my scanner about 2 years ago, however, I noted they have changed on the RR site, when I originally programmed the trunking system there were only 18 frequencies, I now see there are 20 frequencies. So whenever the County Animal Control TGs would stop on the last frequencies I wouldn't hear the transmission, so which do I put in my scanner?
Los Angeles, County of (CWIRS - Municipal Services) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies County Wide or this one:
L.A. County Animal Control « bryanherbert.com
I noticed some differences in the LCN 6 on both pages, so which is the correct one.

Also on a similar topic, does anybody hear animal control on talk groups other than 1064 and 1058? those seem to be the only 2 talk groups animal control has traffic on. So far, I have been able to understand that 1064 is the channel for Baldwin Park/Lancaster Units and 1058 is the channel for Downey/ Carson units.

Thanks Bryan! I fixed the glitch I had in the LCNs so I am no longer having the problem of the scanner skipping transmissions. However, I still have the problem with staticky reception even with 800 mhz antenna. I find when I hold the scanner in a particular angle it will get better reception but in another angle worse reception. Where is the best location to monitor the County EDACs system? As stated before I live in the hills of East L.A. so I am wondering if this is a problem for reception from the EDACS system.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
I've tried listening to it from the West San Fernando Valley, and it sounds horrible. Same for Downtown LA, but that may be from heavy interference on 800.

I can only hear the Malibu system out here and that seems to only have Road Dept talk groups running on it.

cousinkix1953

Remember to turn off the DELAY in each channel; so it does NOT wait two seconds, before going to the next frequency. I don't miss many transmissions on my scanner any more.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Have you guys tried the attenuator function? With all the intermod in the city, it *could* help. Or make it worse. Would be worth a shot though.

If it makes it worse, just turn it off and start thinking about 800 MHz antennas. :)

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have to run the attentuator downtown, even then...UGH.

I dont hear the control channel mentioned in Byran's webpage (Oat Mtn). But the LA City systems are loud and clear.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Dont feel bad about not receiving the Countywide cell clearly, if you program the ISD talkgroups into your radio you will hear all the crap the techs go through to keep the system up and running. It really is a ****ty system.

I discovered the Oat Mtn system last year and made a post about it on SoCalScan, the system is apparently aimed at Santa Clarita for LA COPS units working Hart Park and Castaic. If you were to come here to Newhall you would hear the CC loud and clear, too bad the site is hardly ever used.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Bryan, can you confirm the channels for the Oat Mtn. system? I can't hear anything where it should be...the only control channels I hear in the range are the CWIRS Malibu system, and the LACITY EDACS system(s). I live in the west valley, and can see Oat.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
I have confirmed the site and the LCNs. The crazy thing is the FCC license expires in two weeks so it will be interesting to see what happens.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Me...ortstring=,+lic_name,+file_num&limit_select=4

I logged LA COPS and the DA using the site between November 08-March 09, other than that it has been quiet.

If you have the free time come up to Santa Clarita and listen for yourself. The CC is there and your scanner will track it, if youre lucky you might even hear some traffic. But you have to be in Santa Clarita to hear it as the system is utilizing a directional antenna pointed towards Castaic.

Last edited:

jrholm

A bit off topic, but if you haven't heard LACOPS will cease to exist by June. Their duties are being taken over by LASD. No word yet on freqs, but LASD is creating 2 new units a parks unit and a county buildings/services unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.