LA County Fire - Simplex channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

xilix

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
184
Reaction score
116
Location
Pasadena, CA
This may not be news to most of you, but it was news to me:

I had the opportunity to go on a ride along a few weeks ago. This is in the battalion 4 area of the San Gabriel Valley. The rig had two radios. One was on Blue-5, as expected. The other was on V-6 Direct (153.83 / PL 151.4). Basically, when approaching the scene, the engine would call the other fire units on this freq.

This was not part of a major incident where a comm plan would be generated. But it happened several times so it appears most/all of the battalion 4 units maintain a monitor on this channel when getting close to the scene.

I just never saw this listed anywhere other than being a generic tac channel.

Does anyone know if this tac channel is Battalion 4 specific, or do other battalion's have their own channel ?
 

LZJSR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 5, 2003
Messages
644
Reaction score
50
Location
California
Battalion 5/6/22 also use V-6-D for routine unit-to-unit radio traffic when a comm plan is not issued
 

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Moderator
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
1,932
Reaction score
470
Location
SoCal
Each Battalion assignment has a designated simplex VHF. I can't find my list at the moment, but they have been posted here before.
 

Eng74

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,154
Reaction score
388
Location
Kern County, CA
I am guessing when LACoFD switches to their new UHF radio plan they are keeping the VHF radios also? Being able to communicate with Kern, USFS and everyone else on VHF and for the state VFire channels.
 

avascan522

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 28, 2013
Messages
283
Reaction score
128
Location
Los Angeles County, CA
I am guessing when LACoFD switches to their new UHF radio plan they are keeping the VHF radios also? Being able to communicate with Kern, USFS and everyone else on VHF and for the state VFire channels.
I don't know for certain, but it seems like a logical plan. UHF for non-wildfire incidents and VHF for wildfire (command/tacs). Since they'll mostly be carrying the tri-band (or at least dualband) radios, they can easily switch between VHF and UHF. The mobile radio situation will take more time to sort out, as I don't know if they have touched any of the mobiles, yet. I'm not even sure if any of the APX radios out there have he new UHF configuration in them, and if they do, why no one with insider info hasn't spoken up to share.
 

f40ph

CC actual
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
764
Reaction score
245
Location
Largest County, USA
I am guessing when LACoFD switches to their new UHF radio plan they are keeping the VHF radios also? Being able to communicate with Kern, USFS and everyone else on VHF and for the state VFire channels.

Yes, they'll continue to use VHF for fireground tactics even after the switch to the new UHF plan. Not an issue since they have APX multi-band portables now.
 

Kingscup

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
704
Reaction score
175
I don’t follow LACoFD too closely. Why are they wanting/needing to move UHF frequencies?
 

monitor142

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
367
Reaction score
130
Location
California
I don’t follow LACoFD too closely. Why are they wanting/needing to move UHF frequencies?
Long story short, with the implementation of the LA-RICS trunking system, a conventional simulcast sub-system has been built out for LACFD adding numerous repeated tacs for different geographic areas of the County. Spectrum refarming is the best description and this will provide them with double if not triple the channels including new direct tacs in UHF.

Check out the db and you'll see the future channel line up. LACFD will not be using the trunking system for day-to-day operations. Trunked traffic will be admin and other special ops.
 

EMTJD

Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2018
Messages
128
Reaction score
8
Location
Simi Valley, CA
Long story short, with the implementation of the LA-RICS trunking system, a conventional simulcast sub-system has been built out for LACFD adding numerous repeated tacs for different geographic areas of the County. Spectrum refarming is the best description and this will provide them with double if not triple the channels including new direct tacs in UHF.

Check out the db and you'll see the future channel line up. LACFD will not be using the trunking system for day-to-day operations. Trunked traffic will be admin and other special ops.
Maybe I don't have LA-RICS configured properly in my 536, but whenever I've scanned it, I never hear anything.
 

EMTJD

Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2018
Messages
128
Reaction score
8
Location
Simi Valley, CA
I am guessing when LACoFD switches to their new UHF radio plan they are keeping the VHF radios also? Being able to communicate with Kern, USFS and everyone else on VHF and for the state VFire channels.
What "new UHF radio plan"? I presume this is in the RR database? When does this go into operation?
 

f40ph

CC actual
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
764
Reaction score
245
Location
Largest County, USA
What "new UHF radio plan"? I presume this is in the RR database? When does this go into operation?
1. The new UHF plan are the new conventional frequencies that LACoFD will be using.
2. Yep it's in the database under "Future use".
3. Later this year.
 

E5911

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
647
Reaction score
82
Location
the lower desert
This may help some with the system. apparently you cant play the video directly

This is a LAcofd trainingvideo



 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top