Ladder Line wall mounted indoor antenna

I got bored in retirement and started a business. I would like to be able to monitor my scanners from the third floor. I don't have the ability to put an antenna on the roof of this commercial building. I know nothing really about building an antenna. I have done some searching and come up with some ideas and I hope that you can guide me from this point.

I like to monitor CHP using a 996 P2. It's my understanding that the scanner has some kind of tuning where it takes what it's got for an antenna and does its best to make it work.

I was looking at a quarter wave J Pole that could be made from ladder line and then tacked to the wall of my office using push pins. I have no way of knowing where to put the bottom part to match for the lowest SWR but I won't be transmitting anyway. I have the ability to look up the dimensions for a quarter wave based on 42 MHz. But I also want the antenna to work well on VHF and especially on 700/800. I am far enough away from the mountains to pick up the forest service crews on the side of the mountain fighting brush fires as well as being between two major freeways and the ability to monitor CHP. I'm also able to monitor County Fire on 700/800. It's reception across the Inland Empire tends to be scratchy at times and great at other times.

Another idea given to me was basically to take eight feet of ladder line and short it at the top and the bottom and then in the middle attach my coaxial cable with a BNC connector to plug into the scanner. Someone else suggested that since I'm only using it to monitor I could actually lower the feed point on the ladder line. I think this one was called a folded dipole.

Yet another idea given to me was mounting a Mag Mount antenna attached to a square plate as a ground plane on the ceiling of my office building and running the cable out horizontally and then finally down the wall and into the scanner. But I'm not aware of a scanner antenna that has decent 42 MHz reception. I want the simplest solution but I also see that ladder line is a good idea because it can be painted over to match the wall.

Lastly, since I'm using two scanners it was suggested that I use a simple TV coupler using F connectors to share the antenna. All I have to do is put F connectors on the antenna and then on the outputs of the coupler but terminating in a BNC connector. I understand that it's not matched but I guess neither are the $200 couplers found online.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Remember that I'm inside an office building with a view of outside of the windows. I'm not looking for a perfect solution. I think that would be if I could put a discount up on the roof or something.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Here is an inexpensive and easy to put up wideband scanner antenna that can be tacked to your wall or hung in a window. And you can use a simple inexpensive TV antenna cable splitter to feed two or more scanners. The beauty of it is that it will cost $15-$20 dollars and about 15-30 min of your time, so if it it doesn't receive what you want you can put up something more elaborate and costly. Scroll down the page past the copper pipe version to see the all-wire version, which you can hang on the wall -
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

Here is an inexpensive and easy to put up wideband scanner antenna that can be tacked to your wall or hung in a window. And you can use a simple inexpensive TV antenna cable splitter to feed two or more scanners. The beauty of it is that it will cost $15-$20 dollars and about 15-30 min of your time, so if it it doesn't receive what you want you can put up something more elaborate and costly. Scroll down the page past the copper pipe version to see the all-wire version, which you can hang on the wall -
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki
how did it do on VHF low band? A quarter wavelength at 42 MHz is 70.26" so in theory shouldn't I be able to cut the vertical element for 70.26" and the downward vertical 35"? That's a little more than 8 ft in the wall is only 8 ft tall. I guess the 48" trade off might be good especially for VHF High band. Actually, if this is an OCD and a quarter wavelength is 70.26" and that would be my total length wouldn't I would simply have to decrease its length to what? 1/8 quarter wave? From what I've read If This Were a half wave I would divide the lowest frequency by 64% to arrive at the feed point length. I should stop now. I'm trying to maximize the length for CHP. The books I've been reading on ham radio don't really go into this topic.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
how did it do on VHF low band? A quarter wavelength at 42 MHz is 70.26" so in theory shouldn't I be able to cut the vertical element for 70.26" and the downward vertical 35"? That's a little more than 8 ft in the wall is only 8 ft tall. I guess the 48" trade off might be good especially for VHF High band. Actually, if this is an OCD and a quarter wavelength is 70.26" and that would be my total length wouldn't I would simply have to decrease its length to what? 1/8 quarter wave? From what I've read If This Were a half wave I would divide the lowest frequency by 64% to arrive at the feed point length. I should stop now. I'm trying to maximize the length for CHP. The books I've been reading on ham radio don't really go into this topic.
18" and 48" for the two elements gives you frequency coverage from about 27 mHz (CB) all the way up into 800 mHz. It achieves the VHF low band by including the feed line coax as part of the receiving section at those frequencies. And it works quite well... I am about 8 miles south of an interstate highway and have no trouble receiving CB transmissions on my scanner using the wire version of the 18 / 48 OCFD hung in my attic. I also receive low band transmissions from several miles around from utility companies in the area. Works very well on VHF Hi and UHF, as well as both civil and military air. But at 800 mHz its receive coverage is there, but the pattern is mostly upward and away from the horizon. I don't have anything on 800 mHz to listen to, but reports and reviews from others here on RR say it works.
OCFD antennas create several "sweet spots" where they are resonant. The 18 and 48 inch elements give you those resonant ranges in the popular scanner and aircraft frequencies. Much experimentation has been done by others using different lengths... but that changes the resonant range sweet spots. The most successful use of something other than 18 and 48 inches I've read about was someone who only wanted it for UHF... and cut it shorter. But lost the VHF low and high bands, as well as aircraft coverage. I've never read conclusive results from anyone who attempted to lengthen the elements. 18 and 48 work fine for VHF lowband.
Easy and inexpensive to try... if it doesn't do what you want, pull it down and put up something else. Very low $$ and effort involved to try. I had an FM band filter on mine but found it unnecessary... I'm not near any strong FM broadcast transmitters.

Last edited:
18" and 48" for the two elements gives you frequency coverage from about 27 mHz (CB) all the way up into 800 mHz. It achieves the VHF low band by including the feed line coax as part of the receiving section at those frequencies. And it works quite well... I am about 8 miles south of an interstate highway and have no trouble receiving CB transmissions on my scanner using the wire version of the 18 / 48 OCFD hung in my attic. I also receive low band transmissions from several miles around from utility companies in the area. Works very well on VHF Hi and UHF, as well as both civil and military air. But at 800 mHz its receive coverage is there, but the pattern is mostly upward and away from the horizon. I don't have anything on 800 mHz to listen to, but reports and reviews from others here on RR say it works.
OCFD antennas create several "sweet spots" where they are resonant. The 18 and 48 inch elements give you those resonant ranges in the popular scanner and aircraft frequencies. Much experimentation has been done by others using different lengths... but that changes the resonant range sweet spots. The most successful use of something other than 18 and 48 inches I've read about was someone who only wanted it for UHF... and cut it shorter. But lost the VHF low and high bands, as well as aircraft coverage. I've never read conclusive results from anyone who attempted to lengthen the elements. 18 and 48 work fine for VHF lowband.
Easy and inexpensive to try... if it doesn't do what you want, pull it down and put up something else. Very low $$ and effort involved to try. I had an FM band filter on mine but found it unnecessary... I'm not near any strong FM broadcast transmitters.
Because of the length necessary of replies I'm not quoting. Thank you for the information. I will try the 48-in version first. I can make it out of simple white colored zip wire and tack it as it should be. I found the formula. It's a half wavelength dipole that is separated 2/3 and 1/3. I have 8 ft of wall to use so I'll have to see what it gives me. CHP is almost exclusively on low band and their stations are about 20 miles apart or so I think. During Pursuits they LeapFrog. They regularly have units to go on Simplex talk around which is why I'm concerned with the best performance on VHF low band. Otherwise they're on a repeater. I'd like to be able to pick up the stations all along the two freeways that I'm in the center of. The County fire department is on 700/800 so I'll have to see what works best for that. They do have VHF patch channels but I've never really been able to hear them. The whip antenna on that scanner may be sufficient. It's only when they go tactical that they switch to VHF where Cal Fire and the National Forest Service are located. At my home I've got elevation and separate antennas for each band which works great. But it doesn't see along these freeways as much. So I'll play around. If I go with 48 in and double it that would be 8 ft exactly and it wouldn't work. I might try making it with the copper tubing. I'd rather conceal it in the wall but I'm worried about insulation throwing it off. We'll see what we find out. I'll report back when I have something to say. I'll report back when I have something to say. This scanner fortunately has the Uniden standard programming codes so I can actually measure the SSI and tell which antenna version works the best.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Because of the length necessary of replies I'm not quoting. Thank you for the information. I will try the 48-in version first. I can make it out of simple white colored zip wire and tack it as it should be. I found the formula. It's a half wavelength dipole that is separated 2/3 and 1/3. I have 8 ft of wall to use so I'll have to see what it gives me. CHP is almost exclusively on low band and their stations are about 20 miles apart or so I think. During Pursuits they LeapFrog. They regularly have units to go on Simplex talk around which is why I'm concerned with the best performance on VHF low band. Otherwise they're on a repeater. I'd like to be able to pick up the stations all along the two freeways that I'm in the center of. The County fire department is on 700/800 so I'll have to see what works best for that. They do have VHF patch channels but I've never really been able to hear them. The whip antenna on that scanner may be sufficient. It's only when they go tactical that they switch to VHF where Cal Fire and the National Forest Service are located. At my home I've got elevation and separate antennas for each band which works great. But it doesn't see along these freeways as much. So I'll play around. If I go with 48 in and double it that would be 8 ft exactly and it wouldn't work. I might try making it with the copper tubing. I'd rather conceal it in the wall but I'm worried about insulation throwing it off. We'll see what we find out. I'll report back when I have something to say. I'll report back when I have something to say. This scanner fortunately has the Uniden standard programming codes so I can actually measure the SSI and tell which antenna version works the best.
Giving us a report like that in reply would be VERY useful. I've always wondered how well it will work with CHP lowband but haven't read any reports here.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Just curious. The pic of the pipe version shows the 48 inch on top with 18 inch on bottom. Does it matter? Has anyone ever tried 18 on top?

Just curious. The pic of the pipe version shows the 48 inch on top with 18 inch on bottom. Does it matter? Has anyone ever tried 18 on top?
18 in on top would make it a VHF high band antenna. According to what I have read this evening an OCD it's basically a half wave dipole separated as 2/3 by 1/3. That's the HF formula and I don't know if it translates to VHF low band on up. I have read that the 996p2 has something called varactor tuning so that if you just attach a wire to it it will do its best to make it work. It seems to me if you give it something that is already tuned even better.

I have never worked with antennas before. At my home I have pre-built antennas such as my Child's quarter wave coaxial antenna that's like 10 ft tall and really sucks in the CHP stuff. He has made a new batch that he's selling on eBbay. Then I have a VHF antenna and a 700/800 antenna that I feed into one scanner using a Diamond mx3000 triplexer. My wife is ready to divorce me. Lol.

I will give her a report on my experiments as soon as I can.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Doesn’t matter whether the 18 or 48 inch segment is on top. Reception is exactly the same. However, I wouldn’t mount it in such a manner that either element was adjacent to a metal object such as a metal wall stud, chicken wire used in some construction to hold a plaster wall, HVAC pipes, metal window frame, etc.