LAFD website now has link to RR Scanner Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio_Lady

Has anyone noticed that LAFD's "News and Information Page" contains a link to the privately-provided RadioReference LAFD scanner feed? Upper right icon saying "Click here to LISTEN LIVE." It links to the feed via an intermediate bitly.com link.

Probably not coincidentally, their TOS page says "The LAFD has provided links and pointers to Internet sites maintained by third parties ("Third Party Sites") and may from time to time provide third party materials on the Site. Neither the LAFD, the City of Los Angeles, subsidiary companies, affiliates, or suppliers operate or control in any respect the information, products or services on these Third Party Sites. The content, materials, and products or services available in or accessible through the Site are AS IS and, to the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, the LAFD disclaims all warranties, express or implied..." and other disclaimers.

Who thought we would ever see it? But LAFD has a presence on an ever-increasing number of "social media" type sites, on which they participate in as close to real-time as they can, operating with no, or virtually no, dedicated budget for doing so.

It began with a literally one-man operation, LAFD’s Brian Humphrey, Emergency 2.0 Pioneer, Urges Responder Agencies In Video “To Get In The [Social Media] Pool” — “If It Works In LA, It Can Work In Your Town Too”

Radio_Lady

Reconstituted and less irrelevant reply: I'll let you answer your own question, as I obviously didn't interpret it satisfactorily.

Last edited:

KJ6HCB

Ill say it again. HERE ON THE BOARD.

You linked to his RR profile, which I was able to click through to his forum profile, to see he has 0 posts. So no, he is not.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Brian "LAFD" Humphrey

Has anyone noticed that LAFD's "News and Information Page" contains a link to the privately-provided RadioReference LAFD scanner feed? Upper right icon saying "Click here to LISTEN LIVE." It links to the feed via an intermediate bitly.com link.

<snip>
Who thought we would ever see it? But LAFD has a presence on an ever-increasing number of "social media" type sites, on which they participate in as close to real-time as they can, operating with no, or virtually no, dedicated budget for doing so.

It began with a literally one-man operation, LAFD&#8217;s Brian Humphrey, Emergency 2.0 Pioneer, Urges Responder Agencies In Video &#8220;To Get In The [Social Media] Pool&#8221; &#8212; &#8220;If It Works In LA, It Can Work In Your Town Too&#8221;
No question about it, Brian's long been a great friend to the scanning community both in his official capacity and personally, and I miss the more frequent contributions he used to be able to make on "our" forums over the past 10-15 years. He's been the "face" and "voice" of LAFD to its many stakeholders for probably as long the web's been around, if not longer. In recent years, of course, he's also become the official rep of LAFD to a slew of community, governmental, and NGO boards and groups in L.A. City, in the Southern California area, and nation (if not WORLD) wide. He literally wears many hats for the department, and if I'm not mistaken he still hangs them in his office just steps from the radio floor at OCD. I wonder if that'll still be the case when they move into their new "Metro" digs at the EOC. If Brian has any say in it,it's a safe bet that he will :)

On the page you linked to, RL, I found this interesting Red Cross-sponsored forum he participated in last year, during which he emphasized the necessity of real two-way communication - on all levels - between first-responders and the people they serve: Social Media and Emergency Response - C-SPAN Video Library Besides being approachable, he's also quite an erudite guy.

Did you ever work with him?

KJ6HCB

Was wondering what he would have to say about it.

Apparently he is connected to the dept in other ways, and has more than likely authorized it.

Status
Not open for further replies.