Lancaster Co. Police-Not Responding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
A few days ago I spent an afternoon in Lancaster Co. Each time an ambulance was dispatched to a specific location and the police in Lancaster co were advised of it, an officer would say, "No response unless requested." Is this something new? Exactly why are they doing this?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
A few days ago I spent an afternoon in Lancaster Co. Each time an ambulance was dispatched to a specific location and the police in Lancaster co were advised of it, an officer would say, "No response unless requested." Is this something new? Exactly why are they doing this?

Some of the PD's here in Montco do the same thing.

Less work if you just sit in your car driving aimlessly wasting gas.

ctrabs74

That's pretty much typical in Chester County. The major exceptions that I know of is West Chester PD; they respond to every EMS call in the borough and East Bradford except for EMS responses to nursing homes. Typically, unless it's an emotional disorder, assault, shooting, etc., police will not respond unless they are requested to do so either by the reporting party or by EMS. Most of the time, officers will acknowledge the call and tell County to clear it out.

NodrogCop

That's normal in Lancaster County. LCR is required to notify PD if EMS and/or fire are responding to a call within our jurisdiction. A lot of times, those notifications come while we're doing something else, and we can't go. A lot of times, they're of a nature where either we're going to be of no help (medically), or EMS will beat us to the call (Our EMS group is quick to get to calls, especially the serious ones). We get a lot of those calls to doctor's offices, rehab/extended care facilities, etc. No point in clogging up the call when more qualified people are already there and more are on the way.

Honestly, our philosophy is that we have just enough training to be dangerous except at very serious calls, and we try to stay out of EMS/Fire's way. But we're great at carrying bags/equipment and retrieving same from the rigs. :) and if they call for help, we get there in a hurry.

Times when you'll absolutely get a PD response: Unconscious/AED, violent/combative patient; anything moderately serious involving a child. My agency's protocol for EMS is to respond to all class 1 calls unless they're at a medical facility or other situation where a provider is already on the scene. I won't say we go to all of them but we try, especially if it sound serious or there are issues we know about.

As for fire calls, I usually go just because we'll beat Fire and we can give updates if needed or start other responses. I encourage my officers to do the same. A lot of times we end up leaving shortly thereafter.

We are blessed in my area with a great working relationship with EMS and Fire. And they are quality, well-trained folks that I'm glad to have around. Makes all of our jobs a LOT easier.

ocguard

Also standard in York County - all PDs are notified of fire and ambulance calls in their jurisdictions. Even PSP notified for areas they cover, but this notification usually goes no further than the PCO answering the call, unless a trooper's response is indicated.

ctrabs74

Also standard in York County - all PDs are notified of fire and ambulance calls in their jurisdictions. Even PSP notified for areas they cover, but this notification usually goes no further than the PCO answering the call, unless a trooper's response is indicated.

In Chester County, PSP only dispatches when troopers are requested to the scene (ie. MVA, combative patient, assaults, etc). When Skippack was still on VHF, Norristown CDC made "EMS advisories" which usually ended with "no response neccesary".

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Thats interesting. In jersey (at least in Camden, Burlington, or Gloucester Counties) PD goes to every EMS call, that way they can give updates to County (in case they need a medic started, or to ask for an expedite, or to advise the responding EMS/Fire to recall) or at least be onscene to make sure everything is on the up and up. But I also see the reasons why they wouldnt respond.

Septa3371CSX1

Here in Delco the police go to most all EMS and Fire calls. The number of cops on the call often depends on the nature of the call. A sick person would get you 1 or 2 cops while a heart attack or cardiac arrest would get you 3 or more. The Yeadon cops usually go to Manor Care (there are actually 2 in their jurisdiction - 14 Lincoln Avenue and 600 Wycombe) whenever the ambulance goes there. Upper Darby cops often no service many EMS calls. Usually these are calls for a sick person, fall, injured subject, etc. A CVA or a syncable episode will get a police response. This past winter Tinicum cops were advised of an EMS call in town but were unable to respond due to being tied up on I-95. They told Delcomm to advise EMS they would not be making the call and to advise if they needed them. Sometimes the cops will clear the scene before EMS and may have to return. You'll need police when things like this happen. http://www.firegroundaudio.com/funny/stayoffradio.wav

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
:D Thats freakin hilarious but I'd hate to have to be that dispatcher. Who was the woman, though? Was this on the EMS frequency or the PD frequency?

comspec

I don't know, it makes sense to me that PD doesn't respond unless requested.

I do rememer once that a EMS call came in as an injured child and the officer replied " Show me enroute"
I guess you just get tired of all the little old lady calls.

Septa3371CSX1

That particular transmission occured on an EMS Channel (I believe MED B) several years ago. I believe it was on the east side of Chester City but I'm not completely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.