Laptop Battery Thought It Was A Balloon!

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
A few mornings ago I just about had the "p" scared out of me. I felt the left side of my laptop which somehow opened up. Curiously, I opened it up then saw the battery had ballooned so tightly that I thought it was about to explode. I wasn't going to let that happen. I like my laptop. So then I removed all 4 screws to remove it then disposed of it. Checked PCB for corrosive substance. It was a nice shining blue with all solder joints nice and shiny. That was a relief.

I put all screws back where they belong so that they will not get lost for when I can order a replacement battery. Now I have to press enter at every boot up until then.

So why did the battery balloon?

What place to order from? It's a HP Pavillion cs3075wm. The battery was 3 cell.
I want to order from highly trusted retailer selling good batteries that last.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
So why did the battery balloon?
Laptop batteries can swell due to a number of reasons, including:
  • Lithium-ion polymer batteries: The batteries used in many modern laptops are lithium-ion polymer batteries, which are prone to swelling. This is because the batteries are made of a flexible pouch that can swell due to a number of factors.

• Overcharging: Continuing to charge a battery after it's full can cause it to swell.

• Heat: Exposing a laptop to high temperatures or using it on a surface that doesn't allow heat to dissipate can cause the battery to swell.

• Age: The battery may swell due to its age or the number of charge cycles it's gone through.

• Physical damage: The battery may swell if it's been physically damaged.

RichM

I had a cheap knock off laptop battery do that once. Be sure and buy a factory replacement (expensive) and don’t leave your laptop plugged in perpetually. Best battery health is achieved by cycling, that is to say charge it, run it down and repeat.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Wow, what a story. Well, I hear ya'. My XYL's cellphone started splitting apart on one side. She thought it was because she had dropped it. I used Crazy glue to press it back in place. After a certain amount of time it split again in the same place. She bought a new phone and I did a post-mortem (hihi) on the old one and found the battery to be slightly swollen and under high pressure.

I've ordered replacements for these types of batteries from Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 8