• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Larsen Tri-band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

clanusb

Well, I've been running it the last few weeks here in the Sacramento area. It picks up all the repeaters great on both VHF and UHF. I have not really scanned 7/800 or even 900 on it yet, though I will when I get a new scanner. As expected simplex range greatly diminished. It really is great quality, and I'm sure if I enabled pre-amp on my radios I'd get slight increases. I'll probably switch back to using the 2/70B and toss this one on when I'm on trails or need to use GMRS. Don't be afraid to get it and give it a try.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Just received one. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I did sweep it. Below are the results from the Larsen and a Browning BR-137 (and yes I understand this just tells me how well the antenna is matched to the 50 ohm load I calibrated with ;)).

browning.jpg
larsen.jpg

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
The Browning tested better than I thought it would.

It actually performs quite well. I sealed up the hole on the stud the spring screws onto so I wouldn't have the water intrusion issue. I'm not very rough on antennas so I can't really speak for ruggedness and I only use an APX8000 on it so no high-power going through it. I wouldn't trust it for mission critical use though.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
My tri-band has been a favorite of mine for over two years. It has held up fairly well given my rough treatment.

W5lz

Going only by the graphs presented, there's not 2 cwnts worth of difference between them. Without 'lab' equipment there's no way of telling the difference between them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Going only by the graphs presented, there's not 2 cwnts worth of difference between them. Without 'lab' equipment there's no way of telling the difference between them.

Nope, there isn't.
It's mostly a design change (the base) and a marketing change. When the originals were released, they were marketed as a scanner/monitor antenna and were not sold for transceiver use.
A while later, they started marketing it as a tri-band antenna for transceivers. Around the same time that the multiband LMR radios started hitting the markets.

This new one uses a different base and contact design that may or may not be more reliable (never really been impressed by the center pin "Pogo" contacts, they were disasters on the Motorola 800MHz antennas, but that was due to bad design on the insulator.
Also, the marketing has changed, now sold from the get go as an antenna solution for multiband mobile radios with coverage in the 700MHz LMR band.

For a scanner listener/amateur radio operator, either one will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.