Last of the scanners: Are police security measures and new technologies killing an American obsession?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
That's not policing at all. That allows potential unlawful & policy breaking activity that no court will enforce. Judges favor law enforcement and other officials with much more leeway over what they give the public in wrongdoing. Police agencies who go encrypted along with fire and ems have much longer delays in assists due to majority of the time not running the same encryption codes. That's what makes encryption dangerous!
Replied earlier in a different post. Tinfoil hat seems to be sufficient or not.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I'm sure that some, if not most, of us in the radio hobby enjoy other aspects of this great pastime other than monitoring public safety communications. If it were to all bite the dust in that department of the hobby, we will gravitate to others things. Would I miss it? Of course, for the simple reason of being able to be aware of what is going on in my neck of the woods. Would I throw all of my radios up on eBay? Absolutely not. I might not be able to listen in on my county coms anymore, but there are other ways to skin a cat. And, there are other things to listen to. I wouldn't give it up. I listen to much more than public safety coms as it is now.

They'll have to pry my SDS100 from my cold dead fingers. :)

JD
kf4anc

stlouisx50

I'm sure that some, if not most, of us in the radio hobby enjoy other aspects of this great pastime other than monitoring public safety communications. If it were to all bite the dust in that department of the hobby, we will gravitate to others things. Would I miss it? Of course, for the simple reason of being able to be aware of what is going on in my neck of the woods. Would I throw all of my radios up on eBay? Absolutely not. I might not be able to listen in on my county coms anymore, but there are other ways to skin a cat. And, there are other things to listen to. I wouldn't give it up. I listen to much more than public safety coms as it is now.

JD
kf4anc
Exactly

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Depends where you go. We have had the issues here on a couple secure channels. Obviously in house supervisors dealt with those few abusing equipment but it was slap on hand. While it may exist in some places it doesn't everywhere. Some places do need it while others a side channel would do. None the less it is a trend that will eventually like Australia and Canada, Europe be everywhere. However I have never heard of a terrorist monitoring LE or fire in the states but to some solving the issue before having one is the new thing. Cameras, scanners, guns big boogie man and can end someone up in a long list of someone's intelligence and surveillance in some LE departments.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not true, when one agency is on a different system then no, I am infact correct, the other agency can not hear the encryption. Especially if outside agencies are on analog which many areas of Missouri and Florida are still.

Again, the human factor and egos are what the issue is NOT encryption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuit1974

SO, being someone who is about to purchase his first scanner.....would it be stupid for me to do so? I mean if the encryption is there and more in the future...I don't see buying a 400 dollar scanner as any type of investment. I mean I see a few things I could listen to in my Lafayette, La area using the database reference page but would my money be better spent elsewhere...like a radar detector....food...socks and shoes?

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
SO, being someone who is about to purchase his first scanner.....would it be stupid for me to do so? I mean if the encryption is there and more in the future...I don't see buying a 400 dollar scanner as any type of investment. I mean I see a few things I could listen to in my Lafayette, La area using the database reference page but would my money be better spent elsewhere...like a radar detector....food...socks and shoes?
Unless its your housing or vehicle payment, I would still defiantly still purchase one. here in Illinois "back-up" conventional NON encrypted channels pop up every day because StarCom21 is not reliable. and other ways a scanner can get news from NON government sources. and its hit and miss with encryption sometimes the radio user, if equipped doesn't or forgets to "flip switch" and is infact in the clear, I keep known "full encryption" freqs/TGs in my radio, and have heard a few interesting things that maybe I shouldnt have. Still fun for me, and wouldnt give up my radio for the NEW RETAIL price.

Biscuit1974

well this one will be my first and Im shooting for the HP2...then within the month possibly one or two more...one being handheld (436hp) and one for strictly analog

Bob1955

JD
kf4anc
You are 100% right!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.