Latest Uniden Service Woes

DDFiler

Uniden still seems to be having problems with their customer service. I ordered an SDS100 scanner direct from Uniden on January 15 and this has been my miserable experience. I know there are other means for purchasing a scanner (I’ve owned many since my first scanner in the late 70’s), but this is the rocky path I wandered down. Needless to say, I won’t be doing that again…..
  • Jan14 - scanner ordered
  • Jan16 - scanner shipped by Uniden, via FedEx express shipping. No tracking number provided so I had to call and get the number. It sat at a FedEx warehouse 20 miles from my house for 9 days for no apparent reason. It took a call to Uniden and a case number filed with FedEx to locate and deliver the scanner.
  • Jan28 - scanner received in the afternoon.
  • Jan29 - opened the box in the morning to discover the scanner had a loud rattling sound inside like there is a loose screw rolling around. I called Uniden customer service and was told to return the scanner with the necessary documentation, but the return shipment costs are on me ($35). 😡 I packaged up the scanner and sent it via UPS.
  • Feb02 - Uniden receives the scanner verified from tracking number.
  • Feb08 - I called Uniden since I’ve heard nothing and it turns out the previous customer service rep did not assign the scanner return a case number so it’s just been sitting. All the info was included for them to contact me, but they just didn’t. Case number generated.
  • Feb22 - I called Uniden and they indicated the decision was made to consider this a warranty repair, even though I never actually used the scanner and it was either broken before shipment or damaged during shipment. Since the box had no apparent damage, I think it was rattling before shipment and QC missed it. The scanner went into repair today, and it will be 3 weeks to a month before it is shipped back. Coincidentally by the time I receive it, it should be April Fools Day. I think I’m the fool.
So, by the time I get the scanner back from being repaired, which I’ve never actually had a chance to use, it will be 2.5 months after I placed the order. This is NOT a good example of customer service.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Uniden still seems to be having problems with their customer service. I ordered an SDS100 scanner direct from Uniden on January 15 and this has been my miserable experience. I know there are other means for purchasing a scanner (I’ve owned many since my first scanner in the late 70’s), but this is the rocky path I wandered down. Needless to say, I won’t be doing that again…..
  • Jan16 - scanner shipped by Uniden, via FedEx express shipping. No tracking number provided so I had to call and get the number. It sat at a FedEx warehouse 20 miles from my house for 9 days for no apparent reason. It took a call to Uniden and a case number filed with FedEx to locate and deliver the scanner.
  • Jan29 - opened the box in the morning to discover the scanner had a loud rattling sound inside like there is a loose screw rolling around. I called Uniden customer service and was told to return the scanner with the necessary documentation, but the return shipment costs are on me ($35). 😡 I packaged up the scanner and sent it via UPS.
  • Feb08 - I called Uniden since I’ve heard nothing and it turns out the previous customer service rep did not assign the scanner return a case number so it’s just been sitting. All the info was included for them to contact me, but they just didn’t. Case number generated.
  • Feb22 - I called Uniden and they indicated the decision was made to consider this a warranty repair, even though I never actually used the scanner and it was either broken before shipment or damaged during shipment. Since the box had no apparent damage, I think it was rattling before shipment and QC missed it. The scanner went into repair today, and it will be 3 weeks to a month before it is shipped back. Coincidentally by the time I receive it, it should be April Fools Day. I think I’m the fool.
So, by the time I get the scanner back from being repaired, which I’ve never actually had a chance to use, it will be 2.5 months after I placed the order. This is NOT a good example of customer service.
Agree, not good at all.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is NOT a good example of customer service.

**** happens. It sucks when you're the one it happens to.
Not saying it's OK for Uniden to do that. It's not. But like you said, QC missed it.

And it would be very, very easy for Uniden to make this right, pull one out of stock and overnight it to you.

The measure of a company is how well they respond to a screwup like this. I think their response to this tells you a lot. Sounds like the people that handle stuff like this are:
-Not empowered to fix the issue. They may be forced to work off a script of "if the customer says this, do that". That's not good customer service, that's pure minimum effort. There should be a way for them to escalate, but that may be discouraged.
or
-Are not understanding what happened, even though it sounds like you are making it clear to them.
or
-They just don't care. Employees with no engagement in the job won't put any effort in. That's a management issue, and all too common.

If you paid with credit card, call your credit card company and see what they can do. Stopping the payment might be an option, and would ~maybe~ get Uniden to pay attention. Get your money back and buy a scanner from a dealer that puts an ounce of effort into their customer service. Uniden doesn't deserve your money, especially since they are the one holding all the cards at this point.

Uniden should make this right.

rpb1762

I would try to climb up the supervisory ladder to someone above the person who answers the phone. If not by phone then
certainly by either snail or email.
As mentioned by others, not the right way to run the railroad and I would think that a competent supervisor would read
your infomation from above and say, "Oh, crap. We gotta fix this."

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Not saying it's OK for Uniden to do that. It's not. But like you said, QC missed it.

And it would be very, very easy for Uniden to make this right, pull one out of stock and overnight it to you.

The measure of a company is how well they respond to a screwup like this. I think their response to this tells you a lot. Sounds like the people that handle stuff like this are:
-Not empowered to fix the issue. They may be forced to work off a script of "if the customer says this, do that". That's not good customer service, that's pure minimum effort. There should be a way for them to escalate, but that may be discouraged.
Unfortunately, if the OP is calling the listed 'customer support" phone number, that (based on past posts) goes to a contracted call center, not to an actual Uniden owned & operated site. The contracted call center reps might not have the ability to do much more than answer the phone, and respond with whatever their "script" tells them to say/

To say that is "OK" is wrong. One would think that they could, at least, generate some sort of case number, or other referral to an actual Uniden group. Whether they do not have that ability, or are discouraged from following that process, is unknown (at least to me).

Perhaps the OP should try & contact someone higher up the 'food chain' at Uniden, trying the contact that KevinC mentioned in another thread. That thread is about another Uniden customer service failure on a different issue. Neither of these threads should have happened. At some point, you'd think that the light bulb would come on, and someone at Uniden, with the authority to fix it, would step in. This is the sort of issue where the late UPMan was invaluable. He knew which strings to pull, and when to do so, and did follow through on multiple occasions. I would suggest that the OP at least send a private message to JoeBearcat. At least try that, and if he cannot directly intervene, maybe he will refer it to someone with the authority to handle this issue.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
As previously stated, if you get zero satisfaction with Uniden, contact your state’s dept of consumer protection. On the surface the issue may sound cut-and-dry. Uniden did not return the radio to the end user with all the features it had when it was returned for repair. And a little help from consumer protection, in the form of a letter on official stationary might get Uniden to reconsider and give the matter the attention it is due. Once a case is opened a file number is asssigned for referral should additional action be required. To manufacturers, that case number means it is being tracked, where the state will follow up when their original letter is ignored. Additionally, some states have more stringent rules that must be met in order to do business within that state… something states include in their letter as a matter of full disclosure, because manufacturers may not be aware. There are 50 states, all with their own understanding of fair business practices.

Solidjake

That really does suck and I'm sure it's frustrating. I agree that them just overnighting another unit to you would have fixed this situation the best.

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber

Tell Uniden they shipped you a defective product, and you want your money refunded.

If you purchased this with a credit card, contact your credit card company and get their assistance getting your money refunded.

rbluesky

Holy crap THEY should have sent you a brand new scanner you should have requested a full refund ! Not accept a repair !
call the Attorney General's office in the state Undin's main offices are located and read your message to them and give the Uniden's phone number you order number and all dates you'll get a new scanner or refund !!!

DDFiler

Unfortunately, if the OP is calling the listed 'customer support" phone number, that (based on past posts) goes to a contracted call center, not to an actual Uniden owned & operated site. The contracted call center reps might not have the ability to do much more than answer the phone, and respond with whatever their "script" tells them to say/

To say that is "OK" is wrong. One would think that they could, at least, generate some sort of case number, or other referral to an actual Uniden group. Whether they do not have that ability, or are discouraged from following that process, is unknown (at least to me).

Perhaps the OP should try & contact someone higher up the 'food chain' at Uniden, trying the contact that KevinC mentioned in another thread. That thread is about another Uniden customer service failure on a different issue. Neither of these threads should have happened. At some point, you'd think that the light bulb would come on, and someone at Uniden, with the authority to fix it, would step in. This is the sort of issue where the late UPMan was invaluable. He knew which strings to pull, and when to do so, and did follow through on multiple occasions. I would suggest that the OP at least send a private message to JoeBearcat. At least try that, and if he cannot directly intervene, maybe he will refer it to someone with the authority to handle this issue.
Thanks for the feedback. So how would I go about sending a DM to JoeBearcat? I’ve tried but the forum indicates I don’t have sufficient permissions.

I do have a case number. It is unfortunate that this happens, and the evident lack of customer support care. I’ve enjoyed my SDS200 and was looking forward to have a mobile version.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback. So how would I go about sending a DM to JoeBearcat? I’ve tried but the forum indicates I don’t have sufficient permissions.

I do have a case number. It is unfortunate that this happens, and the evident lack of customer support care. I’ve enjoyed my SDS200 and was looking forward to have a mobile version.
You are still tagged as a “newbie” in the forums, so your posts are delayed until a moderator reviews and approves them. This is to weed out spam from outside sources.

Once you have a few more posts, confirming that you are an actual person not a spam bot, your status will be updated from ‘newbie’ to ‘member’. Once that takes place you should be able to send a DM to JoeBearcat.

In that message, I would include your case number, and a link to this thread. I hope that Uniden will resolve this to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If you bought with a real credit card (not debit card) you may be within your rights to charge back. If the vendor fails to provide a reasonable response (replacement with NEW unit or FULL REFUND), you should pursue that route. Completely unacceptable to ship a broken/defective new item and then tell consumer "tough cookies, send it in AT YOUR EXPENSE to repair".

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
If you bought with a real credit card (not debit card) you may be within your rights to charge back. If the vendor fails to provide a reasonable response (replacement with NEW unit or FULL REFUND), you should pursue that route. Completely unacceptable to ship a broken/defective new item and then tell consumer "tough cookies, send it in AT YOUR EXPENSE to repair".

That's what I tried to tell him, but apparently it was ignored.

He was shipped a defective product.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I must have overlooked information here. Where did you buy the radio in question? There is a list of authorized dealers. I suspect they still support radios purchased at other businesses provided you have a receipt. I am not sure about Ebay.

I have sent my 436HP and SDS 100 into Uniden repair. I have had zero complications with Uniden.

Sorry you are experiencing problems.

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
I must have overlooked information here. Where did you buy the radio in question? There is a list of authorized dealers. I suspect they still support radios purchased at other businesses provided you have a receipt. I am not sure about Ebay.

I have sent my 436HP and SDS 100 into Uniden repair. I have had zero complications with Uniden.

Sorry you are experiencing problems.

Second sentence in his post: "I ordered an SDS100 scanner direct from Uniden"

(Reading is fundamental).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Second sentence in his post: "I ordered an SDS100 scanner direct from Uniden"

(Reading is fundamental).
Reading is fundamental? Hold on, let me tell my wife about this astute observation. I suppose my reading disability might have played a part in this.

By the way, did you notice my statement, "I must have overlooked information here?"

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
Reading is fundamental? Hold on, let me tell my wife about this astute observation. I suppose my reading disability might have played a part in this.

By the way, did you notice my statement, "I must have overlooked information here?"

Yes. Just poking a little fun at you. Don't take it seriously.