Lawrence County Radio upgrades 2025?

jshg46

Ran across this today. looks like Lawrence county is planning some radio upgrades in 2025, wonder if they going to go p25?

Attachments

• 459174327_10232792563784863_9072013848070905604_n (1).jpg
    459174327_10232792563784863_9072013848070905604_n (1).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 21

morganAL

I would bet it is for County Fire. They have had coverage issues for several years. I used to know some of the players over there but since retiring from public safety, I don't keep up with that stuff anymore. Some people over there wanted to join AIRS but they don't have the financial resources. $650k won't even build a single P25 trunked site (site prep, tower, building, generator, microwave, UPS, RF equipment). Most likely would be new VHF repeaters, maybe voting receivers and possibly simulcast. Or they're just buying new portables and mobiles for all the departments.

jshg46

From Amard Martins Facebook,
In February 2024, I seized the opportunity to hold discussions with Senator Britt and Senator Tuberville in Washington DC regarding pivotal initiatives for Lawrence County. Despite the commission's decision to abstain from covering my expenditures, I remained steadfast in securing essential upgrades for our public safety infrastructure to benefit our county and citizens, and consequently, I personally bore the incurred costs. I extend my gratitude to Senator Britt and Senator Tuberville for earmarking $650,000 for the Lawrence County Public Safety Infrastructure Upgrade. This enhancement will significantly bolster the capabilities of our county's law enforcement agencies, firefighters, and the Board of Education. I wish to express my appreciation to Representative Ernie Yarbrough for his unwavering endorsement of this endeavor. He has proven to be an invaluable collaborator throughout this process.

jshg46

It certainly sounds like it could be p25, "This enhancement will significantly bolster the capabilities of our county's law enforcement agencies, firefighters, and the Board of Education" I wish him luck, I don't see the county investing 2-3 million dollars in a radio system. I wonder if they might be going to do a Tier 3 DMR system?

morganAL

Now that I think about it more... I'm gonna say NXDN. 2 or 3 sites with 2-3 channels per site and subscriber equipment

jshg46

That would be cheaper by far. The thing that gets me is Morgan County is P25 and Limestone in the process now. Lawrence County does a lot of work with both of these county's. They would only need 2 sites to start with that would cover the county. Those would be Moulton and Courtland. They need more TAC channels for 911 for sure.

morganAL

That would be cheaper by far. The thing that gets me is Morgan County is P25 and Limestone in the process now. Lawrence County does a lot of work with both of these county's. They would only need 2 sites to start with that would cover the county. Those would be Moulton and Courtland. They need more TAC channels for 911 for sure.
$650k might buy subscriber equipment. There's no way they could afford to build 2 700/800MHz P25 sites and then pay the yearly maintenance costs.

jshg46

Greg's has been using inversion for awhile. Lately they been on the 911 repeater with patient info. MorganAl you probably right on the subscriber service. I don't see the county spending a dime on this project.

morganAL

@jshg46 Just knowing some of the players over there and their loyalties to a certain place and manufacturer, I can see them going down the NXDN path. The clue for me was the part about improvement for the Sheriff, Fire Depts, and the School Board. Sounds like a trunking system to me.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
So the rumor was that Lawrence County was planning to build out a single AIRS P25 site in the northern part of the county. From what I heard the thought process was that the new site, along with spillover coverage from Morgan and Limestone sites would provide adequate coverage in the North and Central parts of the county. They planned on simply falling back to VHF in the southern part of the county, including the Bankhead Forest.

Funding was supposed to be a mix of federal money (mentioned above), and from a large corporation who has a presence and vested interest public safety in the North part of the county. However last I heard, Motorola's cost estimates had dramatically increased and the whole project was in question.

morganAL

$650k would probably not build an AIRS site at all. I can about guarantee that Motorola would look at any of their existing sites and tell them "No" on putting an AIRS site there. So... New tower - $300k. Tower shelter - New $120k - Used $25k. Generator - $20k. Grounding for new site - $20k. AIRS site equipment - (Repeaters, UPS, Combiners, Tower Top amp, cabling) We'll say they are being conservative and do a 4 channel site: $400K. Microwave to the next closest AIRS site (Probably Trinity) $90k. Now there's $0 left for subscriber equipment . Even if they went with Kenwood subscriber equipment (which I would about guarantee most would), that's about $2200 per radio. I'm guessing they would need around 500-600 radios.

All of my numbers are from my experience building out with Motorola 12 yrs ago. I adjusted up a little based on today's economy and inflation. (and are likely too low)

jshg46

So I'm guessing that the new site would be sponsored by Lockh**d. They are pumping some money into the county. They also made Courtland fire basically a full time fire department now. It would be crazy for them not to add a second location in Moulton. The only reason that comes to mind is the city of Moulton don't want to buy those radio's and the county wont spend a dollar on it for anything. The Morgan County tower on John Johnson road would cover the east side of Lawrence county at Moulton. The Limestone tower would be good for the Mallard Creek area , that is rumored to fixing to see major development in the next year time frame. More will depend on what Decatur decides to do about the HWY 72 bypass that is being studied. Going to be a very interesting 2025 or so for Lawrence County.

Last edited: