Lawrence County Radio upgrades 2025?

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
$650k would probably not build an AIRS site at all. I can about guarantee that Motorola would look at any of their existing sites and tell them "No" on putting an AIRS site there. So... New tower - $300k. Tower shelter - New $120k - Used $25k. Generator - $20k. Grounding for new site - $20k. AIRS site equipment - (Repeaters, UPS, Combiners, Tower Top amp, cabling) We'll say they are being conservative and do a 4 channel site: $400K. Microwave to the next closest AIRS site (Probably Trinity) $90k. Now there's $0 left for subscriber equipment . Even if they went with Kenwood subscriber equipment (which I would about guarantee most would), that's about $2200 per radio. I'm guessing they would need around 500-600 radios.

All of my numbers are from my experience building out with Motorola 12 yrs ago. I adjusted up a little based on today's economy and inflation. (and are likely too low)

You are absolutely right. Without going into too much detail, the original pricing I heard was around $1.3 Million for the new AIRS site. Not sure if this was RF/Microwave equipment alone, or also included a new tower and shelter. I believe there was some planned source of funding for subscriber equipment, but I don't remember what it was. Last I heard however, the cost estimates of the site alone had more than doubled.

jshg46

They might want to consider something different. 2.6 million for 1 site is crazy.

morganAL

The tower in Trinity has pretty good coverage all the way to Courtland/N Courtland along Hwy 20 and also into Moulton. The tower listed as Falkville (actually closer to Oden Ridge) has coverage into Winston Co. I've talked on a handheld from Addison.

I have a lot of opinions on what Lawrence will do and why but it's best I just keep those to myself.

jshg46

Wonder how walkies would do indoors that far away from the towers? Thinking about them serving warrants and Domestic calls.

morganAL

Wonder how walkies would do indoors that far away from the towers? Thinking about them serving warrants and Domestic calls.
When the system was designed and built, we never considered anything outside of Morgan Co. From memory... and we designed it in 2012-2013... 95% indoor in Decatur and 85% in the county on a handheld. 95% countywide on a mobile. Like I said, I'm working from memory and that was 12 yrs ago... and I'm retired and don't really care much about it anymore.

Those numbers are very dependent on the environment as well. A standard wood frame house will have a better signal indoors that a metal workshop or light industrial. Heavy construction like multi-story buildings, shopping centers, and schools also attenuate the signals. Even the landscape outdoors. Open fields and spaces will have a better signal that a wooded area. If the area is pine trees, knock it down even further. Fun fact... Pine needles are roughly 1/4 wavelength around 800 MHz. Yes, I know pine needle length varies based on the species but as a general rule of thumb, pine needles are 1/4 wavelength and will impact signal strength.

jshg46

They really need to put a tower in Moulton or on Courtland mountain , for the North part of the county. They should see if them could get a better price if they do the whole county. I wonder if that might be the reason the price has doubled so fast on them, because they wont commit to the complete county coverage.