LCD Backlight Difference Between Pro-96 & Pro-2096?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

Hello All:

I wanted to ask a question of those members who have both the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 scanners. Have you noticed a difference in the level of LCD backlight intensity between the Pro-2096 base unit and the Pro-96 handheld?

My Pro-2096 has a much "brighter" LCD backlight than my Pro-96. The pro-96 backlight is still good, but I was surprised to see it was not nearly as bright as the 2096. Not sure if it's my unit or not.

Any comments from the group would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Mike

Pro-2096
Pro-96

rpowley

The PRO 2096 backlight has 3 settings off, dim, and bright - on mine the Pro 96 backlight appears to equal the dim setting of the 2096

NYRHKY94

Thanks for the quick replies and confirmation on what I was observing! I too felt like the LCD backlight on the Pro-96 matched the "dim" setting on the Pro-2096. I really like the bright setiing on the pro-2096........I guess that spoiled me when I saw the Pro-96 backlight.

Oh well, I guess I can't I have everything. I'm glad it wasn't just my unit.

Appreciate the quick feedback guys!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
One reason for the "dimmer" 96 is that it would run down the batteries faster to be brighter.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
quote=Grog "One reason for the "dimmer" 96 is that it would run down the batteries faster to be brighter." Thats for sure.

Both scanners have the same led's. This is the Pro-96 circuit.

Edit: better jpg.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Additionally, the reason the 2096 has the ability is so that you can see it easier when mounted in a vehicle in bright sunlight. The Bright setting is a bit too bright for me at night but of course that depends on the angle it is set to the driver.

John_M

Fmon, 14 LED's 2 for the display and 12 for the keypad. I thought there may be 4 or so for the keypad. Can you order direct replacement led's (FA1112H) from RS?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Is yours a typo? My listing shows them as FY. They're SMD in any case and you can get them from RS. Someone in a Yahoo group changed the color (blue) on a 96 as I recall.

Edit: I just reviewed my jpg, GRE must have a typo, because the parts list has them as FY, while the schematic has them as FA. None the less, the parts order should have the correct number.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.