Learning CW (Continuous Wave) which is Morse Code...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
For those that would like to learn CW or for those wanting to improve their CW speed, there is a new application on the Internet that is FREE to all. The application was written by Scott Davis, N3FJP who writes software for general and contest logging. His website can be found here.

The new application is called "CW Teacher" and can be found here.

I used to teach CW within an organization as well as privately on a one-on-one basis. Having downloaded CW Teacher and taken it for a test drive, I like what I see. CW Teacher is easy to use and is what I consider an excellent tool for learning CW. I especially like the contesting feature with the "Field Day Exchange" option. Scott N3FJP mentions that in CW contesting, you can copy code at a higher speed than what you would use for a nice rag chew session. That is because you know what is coming; a callsign, a two character alphanumeric operating class and finally a two character abbreviation of the U.S. state that they are in. I have actually found that when one focuses on learning CW in a contest scenario, they learn CW faster and end up receiving and sending CW faster as a result. Since one is learning to associate a group sound of dots and dashes to a letter, they automatically tend to learn the art of "head copy" while they type on the keyboard to enter the received Field Day exchange. And once a person starts to head copy CW, their CW speed will inherently be faster. From there, the sky's the limit, especially when you start to recognize complete words as a group of dots and dashes! Once you begin to hear words rather than individual letters in the received CW transmission, very high speed CW becomes possible at 30 words per minute (WPM), 40 WPM, even 50 WPM and higher!

So if you are looking for a CW learning tool, give CW Teacher a try. It was just released and is currently at Version 1.1 as of the date of this post. It wouldn't surprise me to see future revisions that fine-tune what has been written already as well as to add more features. Scott N3FJP is a fine individual with excellent software coding skills. His entire suite of software is not only used by yours truly but by many multiple thousands and thousands of hams worldwide.

If anyone has any questions or comments about this post, let me know either in this thread or by Private Message (PM). Have a GREAT and blessed day!

73, Dave K4EET

K9DWB

QRT
Ya know, something like this may get me interested in CW. I'll read the info while on my continual coffee break. From one Dave to another, thanks.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Some folks find CW to be great fun. If a person is constrained by property or administrative reasons to using crummy antennas on HF, CW can get a lot farther than voice modes (usually). Yeah, I know, there are digital modes that do as well or better than CW too.

As the saying used to go - "Try it, maybe you'll like it".

VA3TFC

Thanks for the link! I'm also learning morse code too. This looks like a great way to practice!

Blackink

I learned Morse code back when I was in high school! There was a group that gathered here once a week for learning, test taking, and advice.
It was great, i learned a lot though I haven't ever used it.
I'm gonna take a look and see if this old dog can learn some new tricks!!!!

VA3TFC

I'm learning the code because I want to work portable HF QRP using CW out in the field. I haven't been of HF before (just 2 meters & 70cm) so I am looking forward to knowing it for the summer time DXepeditions.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
20201201-153430.jpg
20201202-032141.jpg

Got this last night, missing one ceramic capacitor, added headers where the Crystal's go so I can use different ones. Now to get that missing 30pf and make a keyer 😉

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Going to give learning it a shot. If the diy kit works I was considering getting a couple more for my niece & nephew next door, keep the radius low. see if we can have some fun, learn a skill that should be in the tool box.

VA3TFC

20201201-153430.jpg
20201202-032141.jpg

Got this last night, missing one ceramic capacitor, added headers where the Crystal's go so I can use different ones. Now to get that missing 30pf and make a keyer 😉

Very cool! What kit is that? What band? I ordered 3 Pixie QRP 40m kits myself. One unassembled with no case, one unassembled with a case and one fully assembled in a case.

The fully assembled kit arrived the other day. I currently have it connected to my SW listening antenna via the BNC connectors center pin for now.
The receiver portion of the radio is quite sensitive and was picking up CW signals quite easily on 40 meters. The transmit crystal is 7.023Mhz and the BFO tunes from 7.023-7.026Mhz from what I understand. This is why I am learning Morse code so I can take these little transceivers out to a park hooked to an antenna and try some portable QRP. Now I need a small key.

IMG-20201203-131604.jpg

IMG-20201203-131536.jpg

Connected to a 9v battery.
IMG-20201203-132027.jpg

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Very cool! What kit is that? What band? I ordered 3 Pixie QRP 40m kits myself. One unassembled with no case, one unassembled with a case and one fully assembled in a case.

The fully assembled kit arrived the other day. I currently have it connected to my SW listening antenna via the BNC connectors center pin for now.
The receiver portion of the radio is quite sensitive and was picking up CW signals quite easily on 40 meters. The transmit crystal is 7.023Mhz and the BFO tunes from 7.023-7.026Mhz from what I understand. This is why I am learning Morse code so I can take these little transceivers out to a park hooked to an antenna and try some portable QRP. Now I need a small key.

IMG-20201203-131604.jpg

IMG-20201203-131536.jpg

Connected to a 9v battery.
IMG-20201203-132027.jpg
I like the variable resister on yours, I ordered some last night to change the supplied one on mine.

this is the one I purchased
49er-3w.jpg

widely disliked, with poor reviews(lol) obliviously my decision was solely based on quickest delivery :)

Think I may use ebay for the first time in years as the prices are cheaper

merlin

I learned code back in the 70s and seen all the gimmicery to learn code. Hands down, the best is a cumulative system like starting with E-I-S and T-M-O and progress from that.
Find a code generator that does both, random characters AND lines of coherent text.
Enough practice, you learn what words sound like. Get it right, then get it as fast as you like.
you are basically learning a new language.
I got to 21 WPM,25 with some errors, good enough to copy shore>ship code weather in my SWLing.
73s

W5lz

First set a goal.
Do lots and lots of listening.
When you start recognizing characters keep at it till it's almost easy. Then speed up.
It takes time and a lot of that listening.
It really is that simple. (Didn't say easy, or fast, just simple.)

K4EET

Chaplain
Going to give this a shot. Thanks!
Best wishes to you, my friend, on learning the code. There are actually lots of Morse Code tutoring programs out there on the Internet. Some are pretty fancy, some are games, some are simulated real-world QSO receiving scenarios, some are CW contest scenarios, etc. I personally lean towards the straightforward programs like N3FJP's CW Teacher found at:

But regardless of what you use to learn Morse Code, @W5lz has the right idea when they said in Post #15 above:
First set a goal.
Do lots and lots of listening.
When you start recognizing characters keep at it till it's almost easy. Then speed up.
It takes time and a lot of that listening.
It really is that simple. (Didn't say easy, or fast, just simple.)
So for everyone following this thread, feel free to continue posting words of encouragement for our friends and/or posting ways that you found it best to learn the Morse Code characters. And for those just starting to learn Morse Code, check in here every now and then to let us know how you are doing. Ask questions if you are struggling with certain letters or symbols, hit a plateau and cannot seem to break through the speed barrier, or whatever question comes to mind. We will do our best to give you an answer that helps.

Happy CW to all and to all a good night! Dave K4EET (BTW - have a very Merry CHRISTmas and a super Happy New Year!)

WB9YBM

There are actually lots of Morse Code tutoring programs out there on the Internet. Some are pretty fancy, some are games, some are simulated real-world QSO receiving scenarios, some are CW contest scenarios, etc.

There's also a slight debate going on as to which method of code is "right" or "wrong". For example, I learned that the "right" way is where the length of the spaces, dots, and dashes are related to each other (as explained best here: Morse code - Wikipedia). This provides a certain cadence making it easier to hear. Meanwhile groups like the ARRL say their "correct" way is to send characters at 20WPM and change spacing between characters so that the speed averages down to something else, so people will get used to how it sounds when going up to 20WPM (eventually). This not only ruins the cadence, but fails to consider what to do above 20WPM. (as a side-note, no bragging intended, I got up to about 25WPM just by shear practice on the air in "live" contacts using the first method mentioned.)

K4EET

Chaplain
There's also a slight debate going on as to which method of code is "right" or "wrong". For example, I learned that the "right" way is where the length of the spaces, dots, and dashes are related to each other (as explained best here: Morse code - Wikipedia). This provides a certain cadence making it easier to hear. Meanwhile groups like the ARRL say their "correct" way is to send characters at 20WPM and change spacing between characters so that the speed averages down to something else, so people will get used to how it sounds when going up to 20WPM (eventually). This not only ruins the cadence, but fails to consider what to do above 20WPM. (as a side-note, no bragging intended, I got up to about 25WPM just by shear practice on the air in "live" contacts using the first method mentioned.)
Don't know if it's a "slight" debate or not, I guess the magnitude depends on who you ask, LOL! What I've learned in my nearly 50 years of sending Morse Code and perhaps 25 years of Elmering hams in learning Morse Code, I've always taught it this way. Try one method and if that doesn't work, try another and another until one "clicks" and the student starts to grasp the rhythm of Morse Code letters and eventually small words and later longer words. Generally speaking, anybody willing and wanting to learn a new language can be taught a new language. It takes practice and dedication but it can be done. But I have noticed that different folks seem to "latch on" to different approaches of teaching code. It is up to the instructor to recognize that fact and make adjustments accordingly. If the instructor is not willing to make adjustments when a particular method is not "clicking" with the student, their student will probably just give up on learning code when another method would have been the key to unlocking the blockage. So to instructors and students alike, if one method is not working, try another! And I am not talking about just Koch and Farnsworth. I am talking about E, I, S, H, 5 versus A, B, C... and 1, 2, 3... versus character speed versus character spacing versus straight code QSOs versus games. Try anything and everything! I can almost guarantee that if the student is willing to put out the effort, something out there will click with them and they will learn Morse Code. There is a reason people have made so many different "paths" for folks to learn Morse Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.