Leaving charger plugged into scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPOWLD

I have a new PRO96 and want to know why I should or shouldn't leave the charging unit ( AC-DC 300 mA adapter ) plugged into the scanner 24/7, using the yellow battery holder and Nickel Metal Hydride rechargerable batteris from Radio Shack. I know I have read some where on RR that this is a problem but I can't find where. I also know of someone that leaves his charger connected to the scanner and has not had a problem. I sure don't want to find out there is a serious problem.

Still learning the ropes using the PRO96. Instructions could be little better.

Thanks.

Shackman

FPOWLD said:
I have a new PRO96 and want to know why I should or shouldn't leave the charging unit ( AC-DC 300 mA adapter ) plugged into the scanner 24/7, using the yellow battery holder and Nickel Metal Hydride rechargerable batteris from Radio Shack. I know I have read some where on RR that this is a problem but I can't find where. I also know of someone that leaves his charger connected to the scanner and has not had a problem. I sure don't want to find out there is a serious problem.

Thanks.

Congradulations you have a great scanner. Not a good idea to leave the scanner plugged in when you have rechargeable batteries in it. Unfortunately with the Pro 96 when the batteries are fully charged it does not stop trying to charge them, not the best thing for the batteries. I have also noticed that when I have mine plugged in and I am using the rechargeable batteries they have a tendency to get very warm especially if I am listening to it at the same time. Heat can shorten the life of your radio. I would reccomend a separate charger for the radio and do not plug it in unless you are using the black battery holder in the radio.

Enjoy your New Radio

hoser147

This one has been kicked around several times in the past, I charge mine in the scanner however the scanner is on and running, it takes more charge time and it is only charged at night and unplugged in the morning and ran off battery till it goes down. If you leave it plugged in for days on end I could see where the batteries could overheat and cause a problem with the radio. Ive done it this way for years and not had a problem. Continued charging cant be good for the radio or batteries..Good Scannin hoser147

rpowley

I personally never charge my batteries in a scanner. The only time I hook up to an outside power source is with the black holders.

Bucko

As hoser147 stated I also have done that way for years ( charge in radio over night ) and do so with the 96 with no heat problem, matter of fact after an over night charge the batteries are not that warm. Leaving them charging all time I have noticed a shorter service time out of the batteries.

bigbluemsp

You should never ever leave any electronic device on constant charge for a long period of time.

I did that to a cell phone and the battery exploded..... So charge it then take it off.

drouse3

After 18 months of leaving my scanner plug in with this same setup, I have had no problems.I use my scanner everyday and remember it takes about 14 hours for a full charge at 300 ma aps. Once the batterey is charge they can stay hook up, thats why your radio will get a little warm around the batterey pack. Your battereys will last about three years, then you will you will need to replace them.

Also Nickel Metal Hydride take a different charger to charge them. I hope you are using ni-cad batteries in this radio because I do not think Nickel Metal Hydride batteries will charge in this radio. I use Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Radio control car and it uses a different kind of charger.

FPOWLD said:

Thanks.

OkRob

I use NIMH batteries in mine with the regular RS charger, and have no problems with that whatsoever. It charges them just fine. The batteries last 2-3 years. I do not leave it on the charger longer than is needed to charge the batteries however. I don't really know how long it takes to charge them, but I leave them on about 12-14 hours. I regularly let them run down until the Low Battery indicator starts flashing as well, but no problems so far.

- Rob

drouse3

Thank you OKROB for your imput on the NIMH batteries, I had no idea since I have Ni-cads in my pro-96.

OkRob said:
I use NIMH batteries in mine with the regular RS charger, and have no problems with that whatsoever. It charges them just fine. The batteries last 2-3 years. I do not leave it on the charger longer than is needed to charge the batteries however. I don't really know how long it takes to charge them, but I leave them on about 12-14 hours. I regularly let them run down until the Low Battery indicator starts flashing as well, but no problems so far.

- Rob

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
drouse3 said:
I hope you are using ni-cad batteries in this radio because I do not think Nickel Metal Hydride batteries will charge in this radio. I use Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Radio control car and it uses a different kind of charger.
According to the Pro-96 manual, and my experience for as long as I've owned my Pro-96, not only do NiMH work, but RS recommends them (albeit their own branded batts, of course)

Attachments

• manualP27.jpg
    manualP27.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 408

k0bzv

I pretty much agree with the posts above. I use Ni-MH in 4 scanners
and charge them and than remove the charger. A set of batteries
was ruined when the user (bride) insisted on using the charger all
the time. She now has the black holder and uses regular batteries
when the scanner is wanted for portable. Works great.
I use 2500ma Ni-MH batteries from Wal-Mart in my scanners and
usually get about 16 or so hours of continuous operation.
Also keep a charger in my "duty bag" as I am a security officer and
use the scanners on post for fire/rescue monitoring. It helps me to
clear entrances for rapid entry for emergency entry of these units.
They needn't stop unless they need info from me. I already got what
I need for paperwork!!
Carl - Security Officer "Giving You The Protection You Deserve"

K9GTJ

I will just say I keep mine plugged in much of the time and had the old PRO-79 retired but plugged in for several years before I started using it again in May. There seem to have no ill effects on battery performance. It is using the old NiCads bought new with the scanner.

exeter1

I was asking this question just a month or two ago, and it all came down to this...

*If* you leave it plugged in, and *if* a battery goes bad and leaks, you'd rather it happen to a battery charger than to your radio. :)

I plug mine in occasionally when I'm on an extended car trip and I want to make sure the batteries are staying fresh, but at home I just pop the batteries into a charger when I go to bed, and the next day I'm set.

Status
Not open for further replies.