Lee County Question

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone familiar with the East Alabama Health EMS radio system in Lee County explain to me how they are set up? I have noticed that when monitoring 154.025 (Salem site) I can hear both dispatch and units going out over the repeater. However, on 155.895 (Opelika Site), only the dispatcher is repeated, so the only time I can hear the units is when they are close enough that I can copy them simplex. I have also noticed that it seems that not all traffic is carried on both sites as I heard the dispatcher transmitting on 155.895 while 154.025 was silent. From the little listening I have done, it appears that Lee FD does something similar where traffic is not simulcasted over both of their sites.

If anyone could shed some light on how EAH EMS handles their traffic, that would be greatly appreciated.

One other thing I have noticed is that it seems that the AHP's 155.445 frequency is no longer simulcasted on the MMCCD system. As I have been monitoring the system for a few hours today, I have not heard a single unencrypted transmission. Last year, I could at least hear the AHP patch in the clear. The same goes for the Lee County Sheriff patch on MMCCD which I heard last year as well... perhaps that was just a test for Auburn Gameday.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
Do you know if this information for Valley in Chambers county is correct? I receive other agencies in the area but have never heard anything on this frequency.

155.1225154.9875WQEV691RM88.5 PLEast Alabama FDEast Alabama Fire Department

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Do you know if this information for Valley in Chambers county is correct? I receive other agencies in the area but have never heard anything on this frequency.

155.1225154.9875WQEV691RM88.5 PLEast Alabama FDEast Alabama Fire Department
Unfortunately I do not know anything about Chambers County. I am not from this area, hence why I am trying to get a handle on the scanning situation here. Sorry I couldn’t be of more assistance!

RadShackFan

I live in Lee County and monitor EAMC using the frequencies you listed. The county is divided into the East and West sectors. I'm told by an EMT that the ambulances are posted in their assigned sector for a quicker response. When the East units are being dispatched, the East tower and frequency is used. Ditto for the West.

I haven't heard the dispatcher on both frequencies at the same time. I always hear both sides of a conversation regardless of which sector is being dispatched, so I cannot explain why you can't.

The Volunteer Fire Departments are set up the same way, Eastern & Western sectors. I don't hear the dispatcher on both frequencies for the VFDs either.

As far as the Trooper patch to the 800MHZ side, RadioJon (a member here) is a retired state radio technician. He might be able to confirm what I am about to tell you.

I was told, by a current radio tech who is not in this board, that unless the dispatcher activates the patch it remains silent until an ALEA Unit* initiates the call on an 800MHZ radio. Basically, the 800 radio is then patched over to the VHF side and those on VHF can hear the call. Makes sense. There's really no reason to have the patch active all the time when the primary channel is VHF. Now whether or not this is a true description I do not know. I only repeat it because it came from a current radio tech.

* ALEA Unit: Besides the Troopers several other units are on the VHF side of their system. DOT Weight Crews are on the VHF side since they work with a MCSU (Motor Carrier Safety Unit) Trooper when weighing trucks. DOT weighs them, the Trooper writes tickets on the overweight ones. The State Fire Marshals are also on the system as well as a few others.

I'm sure someone will chime in to add to this. Hope it helps.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I live in Lee County and monitor EAMC using the frequencies you listed. The county is divided into the East and West sectors. I'm told by an EMT that the ambulances are posted in their assigned sector for a quicker response. When the East units are being dispatched, the East tower and frequency is used. Ditto for the West.

I haven't heard the dispatcher on both frequencies at the same time. I always hear both sides of a conversation regardless of which sector is being dispatched, so I cannot explain why you can't.
That is indeed rather odd. I have never once heard an EMS unit come over the repeater on 155.895; they are always simplex so I cannot hear the unit unless they are very close to me.

I was told, by a current radio tech who is not in this board, that unless the dispatcher activates the patch it remains silent until an ALEA Unit* initiates the call on an 800MHZ radio. Basically, the 800 radio is then patched over to the VHF side and those on VHF can hear the call. Makes sense. There's really no reason to have the patch active all the time when the primary channel is VHF. Now whether or not this is a true description I do not know. I only repeat it because it came from a current radio tech.
That does make a lot of sense. There is no reason to run the patch if no units are listening to the 800 MHz side of things. That could indeed explain why it is silent at the moment.

EDIT: I think you are correct because the patch just became active when a unit called in via MMCCD.

I really appreciate you taking the time to lay out how the various systems work here in Lee County. Your explanations definitely helped!

Last edited:

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I just heard the dispatcher on both frequencies simultaneously, but again only heard the unit on 154.025. It's a shame I can't hear the units on 155.895 as that frequency is a good deal stronger.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Have been listening to both EMS frequencies simultaneously this evening and here is what I am seeing:

*Dispatch is consistently heard on both frequencies simultaneously
*Both dispatch and units are repeated on 154.025
*Only dispatch is repeated on 155.895
*Units are simplex on 155.895
*Units that are coming in simplex on 155.895 are not heard on 154.025

RadShackFan

Have been listening to both EMS frequencies simultaneously this evening and here is what I am seeing:

*Dispatch is consistently heard on both frequencies simultaneously
*Both dispatch and units are repeated on 154.025
*Only dispatch is repeated on 155.895
*Units are simplex on 155.895
*Units that are coming in simplex on 155.895 are not heard on 154.025
I didn't hear them both at the same time because I only had 1 scanner monitoring those frequencies. Now that I have 2 scanners monitoring, I hear them both like you do.

Duh! My bad.