• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank67

I see there’s an APX7000XE on sale on eBay by seller gallad2000. I have a few concerns, is the seller legit and my main concern with the radio itself is with tags due to the description stating the radio was upgraded from a 7000 to a 7000XE. If I buy this radio it will be used for PS/personal use, and I wanted to check with the people here who know way more than me when it comes to things like this especially with Motorola.

If anyone needs me to link to the item I will do so, I did not want to put it in the post because I did not want to inadvertently break any forum rules.

Thanks,
Tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC2GSP

I have purchased from gallad2000 in the past without any issues but it was also a lower tier used radio (Kenwood tk890). I assume that he is a dealer or affiliated with a dealer based on the type of items he routinely sells. Lots of new or slightly used commercial equipment. Hope it helps

allend

Premium Subscriber
If you are buying on EBAY or what's called FLEE BAY be careful. APX radios are known to have fake tags. Just be very careful.

People that sell on EBAY and are trying to sell APX radios are in the business to make money.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Any radio hit with depot isn't legit. End of story. Send it to MSI for service and it will return with what it left the factory with UNLESS a legit aftermarket Flashport upgrade sold by MSI was attached to said radio, if it ever WAS a legit radio, that went away if one modifies the radio's operating system/software with stolen software. Not saying the seller in question is/has done this, but any radio represented as "legit" is not unless said seller can produce an invoice from MSI showing the purchased upgrades/features. Buyer beware.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The words "on sale on eBay" and "it will be used for PS" do not belong in the same thought. Seriously, don't chance your own safety or those around you with a radio whose origin is suspect, even if it's low risk and the radio operates just fine. Strictly for personal use/buffing/ham? Knock yourself out.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
I know it’s much easier said than done, but if you have the money for an “EBay” APX- Series radio, then just save a bit more and get one directly from a dealer. It’s a whole lot of money to risk, and there is no money that can bring someone back from death if the radio fails in the field of Public Safety. For a hobbyist, it’s fine. For a Public Safety member... NO

allend

Premium Subscriber
Lets just say its not worth to buy a used legit APX radio from EBAY. You just don't know where this radio has been.

I bought an APX 8000 radio on EBAY from a guy that was seller boat loads of these radios a couple of years ago. The radio ended up be an okay radio and it worked but it ended up having FAKE tags and by the naked eye you could not tell.

Also, the radios MACE for the secure part of the radio for encryption was corrupted. I did not even realize it. I ended up selling the radio and I took a hit on the radio. So just beware. I agree with the rest of the people. Just wait and save more money and buy a new one and a legit radio with a warranty from Motorola. If you are already going to spend 4 to 5K then just wait and buy a new one.

XTS3000

Scan the 2 barcodes (Serial & Tracking number) with a barcode scanner. Do they match?

Then use a raw code scanner and scan the “QR” looking bar code in the far upper right corner. This will reveal the model number, serial number and some other number I have no clue what it is. Do these numbers match what it should?

Most people don’t bother to change the 2 barcodes to match the printed serial, let alone the QR code.

On Tapatalk, so not sure if the image I’m posting will show up, but it shows a true legit radio scan of the QR. I use RawCodeScan to scan the weird QR code shown below

IMG_7864.jpg

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I can't get a clean shot of the barcodes due to pixelation, but the QR code matches. Oops. I was reading the tag of the supposed fake tag. At least on that fake tag, the QR code matches what the tag says.

ME801

I have bought a tagged APX from Gallad on ebay, great to deal with and have upgraded the firmware to R19 via my MOL account with no problems. The radio has been used daily and no problems what so ever. He was upfront that the radio had a different flashcode than was on the tag. He emailed me a copy of the CPS screenshot before I paid for it, he was upfront about the upgrade....and no it wasn't hit with depot.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
He was upfront that the radio had a different flashcode than was on the tag. He emailed me a copy of the CPS screenshot before I paid for it, he was upfront about the upgrade....and no it wasn't hit with depot.
So the radio was upgraded by a third party- just because the radio doesn't show "Depot" in CPS doesn't mean it wasn't jacked up. Like it or not, you send your radio to the depot for service, it will come back with whatever it was sold with, and the "aftermarket" upgrades that these Ebay sellers slam into radios (e.g. FPP, legacy system key, TDMA, etc) without paying MSI will get taken away. I've seen it happen.

So long as the buyer understands these are "grey market" upgrades performed by third parties (using tools and methods unauthorized by the manufacturer) and they are NOT using them in non-IDLH/public safety settings, than so be it. Buyer's risk/reward. But using such a radio in an IDLH/public safety application is foolish and a risk for all involved.

ME801

I was under the impression that R19 will brick a APX hit with depot. Am I mistaken?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I was under the impression that R19 will brick a APX hit with depot. Am I mistaken?

There is a few out there I hear keeping their shenanigans tight lipped about it. So it wouldn't surprise me.

I recall running into a couple of a astro 25 radios in past that did not have the depot showing and were in fact illegally upgraded.

They did it a certain way to mask it form showing but once it was sent in to M there is ways they can tell the history of a radio besides model and serial number and long story short they were brothel specials.

allend

Premium Subscriber

I heard after firmware 17 or 18 you can't use the Depot software out thats running around the streets anymore. I believe Motorola put a hault to it as this was getting out of control. Plus with the APX 8000 moving forward there is no reason why if the radio is legit that you would even need to depot the radio anymore. Those radios come fully equipped with a full flashcode and encryption algo's.

ME801

I heard after firmware 17 or 18 you can't use the Depot software out thats running around the streets anymore. I believe Motorola put a hault to it as this was getting out of control. Plus with the APX 8000 moving forward there is no reason why if the radio is legit that you would even need to depot the radio anymore. Those radios come fully equipped with a full flashcode and encryption algo's.

If you read the release notes from /\/\ firmware 18 and 19 will brick a APX that has been hit with Depot software that's out in the wild.

GTR is correct that if you purchase a 8k they only come with the options/bands that you spec and pay for.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you read the release notes from /\/\ firmware 18 and 19 will brick a APX that has been hit with Depot software that's out in the wild.

GTR is correct that if you purchase a 8k they only come with the options/bands that you spec and pay for.
That's not what the firmware release notes say. Starting with R18 firmware, the use of Depot CPS is blocked; it says nothing about "bricking" radios that were previously hit with Depot CPS. Let's leave the discussion regarding forbidden software/tools at that.

The APX 8000 comes configured by default with all bands enabled, with the ability to delete up to two of them, saving $800 MSRP per deleted band. Every other option needs to be configured just as with any other APX model; they are certainly not shipped "fully equipped with a full flashcode and encryption algo's" as @allend claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.