Let us find out once and for all (SDS100) battery issue per % of users.

Have you ever had a genuine Uniden battery swell on your SDS 100?

• Yes

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 76 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
In an effort to get a handle on the actual percentage of users who've had an issue, or have not, I felt this poll was necessary as potential purchasers reading a hype thread could be scared out of a purchase without some perspective on the odds of it happening to them.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Approaching sixth year of ownership with my SDS100. Purchased June 2018, thin battery originally sent, later sent the larger battery and cover free of charge. Never had either battery swell, charge nightly in the scanner, still getting 7-8 hours of usage. I have run it down on a few occasions, recharged overnight without issues.

Computrguy

Never had a Uniden battery swell. But I don't leave mine plugged in. Once charged I remove from charge.
I HAVE had a number of jetpack lithium battery packs swell in units over the same period of time. Those cellular units are plugged in 27/4 and IMO why those units well. My Uniden would probably swell if I left it being charged 24/7. Plus, where it is left matters as to sunlight and temperature. These simplified results of this poll are not very relevant IMO.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Need another poll for the antenna issue. Between the battery issue and the antenna issue, I won’t buy a SDS100. Would consider one though.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Never had a Uniden battery swell. But I don't leave mine plugged in. Once charged I remove from charge.
I HAVE had a number of jetpack lithium battery packs swell in units over the same period of time. Those cellular units are plugged in 27/4 and IMO why those units well. My Uniden would probably swell if I left it being charged 24/7. Plus, where it is left matters as to sunlight and temperature. These simplified results of this poll are not very relevant IMO.

Actually "simplified" results, as you put it can cover "average" usage patterns, as not everyone uses their radio, or charges their battery in exactly the same way. The intent was simply to see what percentage of users have actually had an issue without drilling down to minutiae. One often hears about complaints, but seldom hears anything when perfect.

I'm man enough to admit the only problems I had early on was operator error as it was a totally different way of doing things from the old days. I'd hate to see people discouraged over a few posts.

ddoppke

Premium Subscriber
I got my SDS100 in 2020 with 3 batteries. I have one on the radio, one in the charger, and one ready to go and I rotate them through the cycle, charger, ready, radio. The radio is on almost all day and so far have not had any issues.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that the pole will only reflect percentages based upon Radio Reference users as whole, who answered the pole, and will not reflect swelling that has occurred globally for obvious reasons.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that the pole will only reflect percentages based upon Radio Reference users as whole, who answered the pole, and will not reflect swelling that has occurred globally for obvious reasons.

Naturally, all polls political or otherwise are a sample of the whole. Hopefully we'll get more participants.