Let us find out once and for all (SDS100) battery issue per % of users.

Have you ever had a genuine Uniden battery swell on your SDS 100?

• Yes

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 76 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You could join the sds100 Facebook group but I suspect many of those users may be registered here also which would hamper results.

palmerjrusa

Have the original small battery that came with my early production SDD100 and the free large battery provided by Uniden.
Shortly after purchasing my SDS100 bought the external charging cradle that came with one of the bigger cells.

To date, no issues (swelling etc.) detected.

I have the low voltage warning on my SDS100 set at 3.6V.

I won't mention the faulty rotary controller and broken battery clip that necessitated a return to Uniden for repair.

whooey

3 batteries, all charged externally on the OEM charger, no issues. My mom had her battery swell, she charged hers in the radio hmm.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Have the original small battery that came with my early production SDD100 and the free large battery provided by Uniden.
Shortly after purchasing my SDS100 bought the external charging cradle that came with one of the bigger cells.

To date, no issues (swelling etc.) detected.

I have the low voltage warning on my SDS100 set at 3.6V.

I won't mention the faulty rotary controller and broken battery clip that necessitated a return to Uniden for repair.
I've had 4 of the larger batteries from the very beginning (3 plus years of ownership of an SDS100) and I've never actually achieved 6.5 hours of runtime like so many have stated or claimed. HOWEVER, SDR's can't hide the reality that they're notorious battery hogs and I find it analogous to the fuel economy standard(s) of a Cadillac Eldorado with a 501 engine. Unless or until the next generation of somewhat compact batteries appear on the scene, there just aren't going to be many glowing reports of even reasonably long battery life to write home about. Regarding the rotary controller issue: structurally, the encoder on both the SDS 100 & 200 are total crap and considering just how much use they get, (as well as the price point of these two scanners) there's absolutely no excuse for not making this part or component as close to bombproof as is mechanically possible in this day and age. No, I don't expect commercial grade build quality in a consumer electronics device but again, why a bare minimum cannot be achieved on the part of Uniden defies any and all logic.

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

I've had 4 of the larger batteries from the very beginning (3 plus years of ownership of an SDS100) and I've never actually achieved 6.5 hours of runtime like so many have stated or claimed. HOWEVER, SDR's can't hide the reality that they're notorious battery hogs and I find it analogous to the fuel economy standard(s) of a Cadillac Eldorado with a 501 engine. Unless or until the next generation of somewhat compact batteries appear on the scene, there just aren't going to be many glowing reports of even reasonably long battery life to write home about. Regarding the rotary controller issue: structurally, the encoder on both the SDS 100 & 200 are total crap and considering just how much use they get, (as well as the price point of these two scanners) there's absolutely no excuse for not making this part or component as close to bombproof as is mechanically possible in this day and age. No, I don't expect commercial grade build quality in a consumer electronics device but again, why a bare minimum cannot be achieved on the part of Uniden defies any and all logic.

I evaluated battery life re the SDS100 (small and large cells) at the time of purchase and recently, will refer to my notes and get back to you.

Totally agree on the rotary encoder issue...

VoicesInMyHead

Premium Subscriber
Two-year-old SDS100, here. Purchased brand-new. Is literally being charged 24/7 through the radio via an Anker USB-A-to-mini-USB cable connected to an Intel NUC 11 desktop computer, not on an external charger. Option to charge while listening is enabled. Battery isn't swollen.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
It seems most do not have the battery swelling issues. Need to pin point what’s causing this issue. Once identified, may buy one.

Ubbe

It seems most do not have the battery swelling issues. Need to pin point what’s causing this issue. Once identified, may buy one.
It's a quality issues at the manufacturing plant, or actually what Uniden have specified as adequate. And in later years Uniden have allowed lower quality hardware to be used in their scanners to cut costs. It's a balance between cost and the failure rate you can accept and the number of unhappy buyers you get. These are the cheapest cells Uniden use and have an expected life span of 2-3 years of normal use and up to 300-500 charge cycles that typically equals to 3 years for a normal user. My battery failed after 2 years and falls into that time frame.

/Ubbe

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
No problems with original small battery, original replacement large battery, or with additional purchased large battery.

GadgetGeek

Never had a Uniden battery swell. But I don't leave mine plugged in. Once charged I remove from charge.
I HAVE had a number of jetpack lithium battery packs swell in units over the same period of time. Those cellular units are plugged in 27/4 and IMO why those units well. My Uniden would probably swell if I left it being charged 24/7. Plus, where it is left matters as to sunlight and temperature. These simplified results of this poll are not very relevant IMO.
My original large battery is from 2018. Always on charge, no swelling.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I have mine in my car always on charge. I get the "low usb bus voltage" often and it seems it takes a very long time for it to get to a full charge. There have been days I have had it charge for over an hour, site unused and charge again unused for over an hour and never get to full. When I first got it, it would charege to full ever time I had it on charge.