Let us find out once and for all (SDS100) battery issue per % of users.

Have you ever had a genuine Uniden battery swell on your SDS 100?

• Yes

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 76 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I had three, two of them from 2018 when the newer batteries came out. Two were somewhat tight in the radio and I had to really clamp down on the door to get it to lock. I got rid of those two batteries recently when I noticed the starting of swelling and cracks in the batteries. Six years, not bad. I’m about to can the third one as it is starting to expand a little and not set right in the charger.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I bought two SDS-100s. The battery swelled on one of them. I'm not sure why I didn't see this poll earlier, before it closed.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
In an effort to get a handle on the actual percentage of users who've had an issue, or have not, I felt this poll was necessary as potential purchasers reading a hype thread could be scared out of a purchase without some perspective on the odds of it happening to them.
Actually, it isn't anything close to whatever the reality of the battery situation is. It's a sample of a few people on a single message board (albeit the leading one) who chose to vote, regardless of actually having a battery or not. So, it's at best, a facetious poll.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Actually, it isn't anything close to whatever the reality of the battery situation is. It's a sample of a few people on a single message board (albeit the leading one) who chose to vote, regardless of actually having a battery or not. So, it's at best, a facetious poll.

Facetious? Opinions vary. Polls do have margins of error, for various reasons and polls are ALWAYS a sampling of a larger group. If it's not an opinion poll (like a political one), but a simple yes/no fact based poll with no leading questions, a smaller sample can still be statistically valid.

Those who scream the loudest are not necessarily in the majority, but can give a false impression with no contrasting data to support their claims. So, the poll was conducted in good faith, among those who actually use the product, and even if it has larger margin of error, say 5% we can still glean some usable data from it.

Now you say, "...it isn't anything close to whatever the reality of the battery situation is" What do you use to support your "whatever" claim? At this point I'll have to treat your post as unsupported opinion until you can supply proof to back it up.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
At minimum, this poll should have not been over a few short days and should be open. Someone who originally voted they had no issue may have since had one.

swatpup102

Premium Subscriber
Never had an issue, bought my SDS100 in 2019 and got a first batch of larger batteries. Bought a second large battery as a just in case back up, and I've never installed it once so far because the original has done everything I've needed. Running while plugged in, running on battery, hasn't mattered and it runs for hours almost daily.