• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Let's go low

WQ2H

Life below 138 kHz
Premium Subscriber
.1374-.1376 would probably be 4-FSK (WSPR2) - hard to know what's outside of that. Could be arcing power lines or solar panels, but who knows. There may be a little JT9 slow modes activity just below that, but conditions haven't been all that good and most LF ops in New England are in Rx mode.

This is what a decent 2200m JT9-1 signal looks like here through a Motion Sensors TVTR2.

First_2200m_QSO.jpg

Right now - we're waiting for the leaves to fall and the air to dry out here. Happy hunting ! :)

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I understand that slow and low power modes like FT4, FT8 and WSPR are all popular down here...a loop is going to be a help here; even indoors, it's going to be less responsive to noise than an active whip....Mike

WQ2H

Life below 138 kHz
Premium Subscriber
It's a tough time of year to be digging out 137. :) FT4/FT8 is great for HF but tough on LF because the Tx time is simply too short. I think you need at least a minute or better yet two or five. I've only made 2200m QSOs with JT9 so far. I'm guessing N1BUG (Milo, ME) will do more experimenting with JT9 slow (JT9-5 and JT9-10) come fall. That's always a good resource for Rx testing.

Just an FYI on my experiences: I actually have a few antennas that I've used for LF One is a 160m full wave horizontal loop, and the other a short Marconi vertical with a hat. Both do well for Tx through a variometer, but are plagued with wandering noise on Rx from power company transmission apparatus.

I started using the CCW active vertical dipole, with the LF/HF pre_selector, and the perceived noise has been greatly reduced. It also does great with NDBs which I find intriguing. I also choke down the Rx bandwidth to 400Hz or less. I highly recommend this website for regularly updated information. Anyway, good luck - and we'll have our beacon on .137475 back up come fall.

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH