Lil Wil Wilson Mag Mount Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Why are you having issues with it falling off .i have one and it never fell off my car

Not having issues with it falling off - I just noticed that the screws would loosen once in awhile, although I haven't noticed this happening ever since I got it replaced at RadioShack. Now it is tight as can be and works well.

Where do you keep your mag mount?

N0IU

What would I do? I would go ahead and keep the Radio Shack antenna. I don't know that the $50 antenna from Scanner World would receive any better since it theoretically is designed for the same range of frequencies as the one from Radio Shack. The only reason it might be better for you is because it is physically smaller and you might have fewer issues with branches.

At this point, only time will tell. I would wait until spring time and see if you are still as happy with the Radio Shack antenna. That way you will have had several months to see how it really performs on your vehicle. If it stays in place and the screws stay tight, spend the $50 on something else!

P.S. My birthday is in May and I could use a new mag mount scanner antenna! (Hint Hint)

R1VINCE

Why are you having issues with it falling off .i have one and it never fell off my car

Ive had 3 and they all fell off my cars-
And regardless of what many may think- i dont speed
The radioshack antenna (for me atleast)will stay on the car IF you mount it to the trunk, but for some of us with aluminum parts, the trunk isnt an option. or for many of us with SUV's, theres no trunk available. So i mounted mine to the top of my 2 vehicles(a Chevy Avalnche and Nissan Altima). Each one fell off at around 50-55mph. Scratched the hell out of my Altima. Same with the first one i ever got for my 81 honda accord(way back).
I keep coming back to the RS antenna because to me, its the best one ive ever used as far as "hearing" things. I also own/use a Larsen mag mount-its just not as good-IMO
To combat my bad luck with the RS antenna, I did this.---->http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/104499-bct15-gps-temp-install.html

I dont have the car anymore, but i definately have the antenna. I already had the parts lying around for this. I thought i might share with you my idea since you mentioned getting the LiL Wilson(mine was/is a Wilson1000 mag mount).

---my $.02

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
What would I do? I would go ahead and keep the Radio Shack antenna. I don't know that the $50 antenna from Scanner World would receive any better since it theoretically is designed for the same range of frequencies as the one from Radio Shack. The only reason it might be better for you is because it is physically smaller and you might have fewer issues with branches.

At this point, only time will tell. I would wait until spring time and see if you are still as happy with the Radio Shack antenna. That way you will have had several months to see how it really performs on your vehicle. If it stays in place and the screws stay tight, spend the $50 on something else!

P.S. My birthday is in May and I could use a new mag mount scanner antenna! (Hint Hint)

I think that's what I will do - only branches I really hit (they aren't even branches, they are more like sticks on my trees), are in my driveway, and I have a way of avoiding them. Plus, the ice on them is causing them to be lower then usual. It is a good antenna so I will wait it out but I think I will end up keeping it. You think it's safe to keep the mag mount on the car when taking a car wash? I would of course take the antenna off it...

I will keep that in mind about your birthday ;) lol. Thanks for all your help Scott! :)

Ive had 3 and they all fell off my cars-
And regardless of what many may think- i dont speed
The radioshack antenna (for me atleast)will stay on the car IF you mount it to the trunk, but for some of us with aluminum parts, the trunk isnt an option. or for many of us with SUV's, theres no trunk available. So i mounted mine to the top of my 2 vehicles(a Chevy Avalnche and Nissan Altima). Each one fell off at around 50-55mph. Scratched the hell out of my Altima. Same with the first one i ever got for my 81 honda accord(way back).
I keep coming back to the RS antenna because to me, its the best one ive ever used as far as "hearing" things. I also own/use a Larsen mag mount-its just not as good-IMO
To combat my bad luck with the RS antenna, I did this.---->http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/104499-bct15-gps-temp-install.html

I dont have the car anymore, but i definately have the antenna. I already had the parts lying around for this. I thought i might share with you my idea since you mentioned getting the LiL Wilson(mine was/is a Wilson1000 mag mount).

---my $.02

Thanks for your help! I think I will stay with the RadioShack mag mount I have now. That is an interestineg method you used there! So far, the RadioShack magnet has held up quite well. Thanks for your ideas! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.