Linn County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgmaley

LinnCo Rebanding

I would be suprised to see them getting it done by summer. The issue is funding. This one has no federal grant. I understand the need. There will be coverage problems with existing towers. Biggest complaint of the existing VHF system is interference from other PD's using the same PL tone. The city of Marion is currently on an analog 460MHz system. Their tower isn't that tall, but the city isn't that big.
Dave...

K0JWW

Dave,
From what I saw on the license for the new system......there will be only 4 simulcast towers on this one. One out by Bertram, one near Mount Vernon, one on Boyson Road NE between Council St NE and C Avenue NE. The other one would be an existing one near 6th St SW and Wilson Ave SW.

I am skeptical they will be able to make that work. Especally in the far north of the county. We shall see. They were testing the Boyson Road tower on the system before I moved to Missouri.

Jason

IowaGuy1603

^^^^^^^^
The vendor says it will work ---------------but we will see

I also believe they have a tower up North that is "ready" should they need to supplement their coverage

AND the funding is already in place. (in fact most of the equipment is already on scene or installed.)

dgmaley

Linn Co Upgrade

Glad to hear that Linn Co got their funding in order. Last I saw, they were having some problems. Anyone happen to know if Marion will be installing new equipment on their tower? I'm within eyesight of it. Also...will this be linked to the exising Cedar Rapids network? I currently get a good signal off the Lindale Dr tower. It could get busy.

Dave...

IowaGuy1603

The only "funding " problem was determining who was paying for the Ambulances and Fire radios for the small departments.. I think EMA and Linn County found money for that

Marion, Linn county & Cedar Rapids will all be on the same system

The Marion PD tower will probably go away since MPD is moving their station within the next few months AND the new system will take over the radio needs (MPD and MFD won't use UHF/VHF anymore)

dgmaley

LinnCo P25

Thanks for the info. I knew there was a funding problem but not the extent.

Will Kirkwood be involved? I know that EMA is on their campus and will be linked. They have towers and would make an easy upgrade. Would also be easy to microwave P25 to towns like Tipton, Vinton, and Williamsburg or push it on to the ICN and pop up anywhere.
Dave...

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Where there's a will, there's a way!

But some stuff is better left off forums, not everything needs to end up on the internet.

frmboybuck

There are more towers than that....They have installed several. New radios are going in as we speak

dgmaley

Linn Co P25

I just got my GRE GRE800 back from warranty repair and have noticed traffic on the new Linn Co. P25 frequency assignments but wonder if this is why it sounds like beings from another planet?

"that's an interesting way of saying "I have no idea since it's encrypted"

and will it be staying that way?

Dave....

IowaGuy1603

and will it be staying that way?

Dave....

I don't know for sure but my guess is that it will be no more encrypted that the current CRPD system and probably less so than the current JCOM system

Both Marion PD and Linn County have encryption (actually digital modes) available on their current radios and rarely if ever use them.

I am sure they will use encryption for sensitive stuff and/or chit chat channels but main operations will most likely remain P25 in the clear

timkilbride

Database Admin
I don't know for sure but my guess is that it will be no more encrypted that the current CRPD system and probably less so than the current JCOM system

Both Marion PD and Linn County have encryption (actually digital modes) available on their current radios and rarely if ever use them.

I am sure they will use encryption for sensitive stuff and/or chit chat channels but main operations will most likely remain P25 in the clear

Do you know if Linn County has ProVoice on F4?

Tim

IowaGuy1603

Do you know if Linn County has ProVoice on F4?

Tim

I can't remember which frequency they had the "digital mode" active on .....F4 sounds correct but it has been so long since they used it I just can't remember

My HT doesn't have a digital mode for any of the Linn County frequencies I can use.......

Actually I think they can use it on all 4 main frequencies, but don't quote me on that..... The deputies didn't like it and just plain refused to use the mode.............instead they use cell phones.

Until they got their new radios this year you would occasionally hear dispatch tell a deputy "your digital button is on"

Status
Not open for further replies.