Looking for a decent cheap scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

colodak

I've decided to get back into monitoring after about a 15 yr absence, I notice that all the Colorado stuff has gone DTRS or similar. I am looking at Radio Shack PR-2055, 2051, and PRO-433 and a couple of Uniden Bearcat models BC796D and BCD396T. Will these work for me to get restarted.

SCPD

QRT
Colorado DTRS is APCO 25 if I am not mistaken... you are talking $500 at least for a new 1. may find cheaper used ...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If true, the only ones out of your list that might work would be the 796 or 396. I'd jump to the Colorado forum and ask what seems the popular choice (my bet would be the new GRE models....) 73 Mike

N8IAA

AlabamaRS said:
and Pro 96

I second that. You don't need the latest and greatest if you are getting back into scanning. Programming with Win96 makes it a breeze. Just pick what site is closest to you and program it in. The first three scanners are analog only. They won't do the P-25 digital.
Larry

BuiltonAsus

Don't forget to look in the classified section of this forum. You can find used Pro-96s for under $300. You can even find a used BCD396T for around $400 if you look hard enough. I would stay away from eBay though, unless it is a seller here that has linked to an eBay auction. People on this forum seem to be a little more trustworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.