Looking for AMTOR contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8krh

Anyone want to try AMTOR on 80 say 7:30 <0030> around 3589 if no RTTY contest on...Using MIXW??
DOCTOR/795...K8LEN/INDIANA...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please note that we have separate amateur radio forums. Thanks for your future cooperation...Mike ka3jjz

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Wow... That's a blast from the past.

I used to do AMTOR back in the 80's using an MFJ-1278 TNC. I haven't heard any on the bands for years. It's become a mostly forgotten digital mode.

Out of curiosity, what interface are you using for AMTOR?

k8krh

I use MULTIPSK it has AMTOR ARQ and it is free.
I made a few contacts on it on an opening last year on 10 meters.

I have heard a bit below 14.109 when the band opens which is rare anymore.

If you ever download MULTIPSK let me know, will keep an eye for you around 14.107.
PAT/K8LEN/DOCTOR 795

AMTOR FREQ..14.079,,,A FEW STNS MONITOR THERE...After this RTTY contest will try cq on this frequency this week.
Any close stations...need a 40 meter frequency also...

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As jwt mentions, AMTOR really has gone the way of the dinosaur. Looking over some of the so-called current, official bandplans out there, I couldn't find a single instance where AMTOR was even mentioned. It is, however, used by some government and diplomatic stations - the Egyptians have been known to use it...

Be careful that you are not mistaking AMTOR for PACTOR - to the ear, they are very nearly identical. . There are at least 3 different variantsl (4 if you count PACTOR-IV which is very controversial because of the bandwidth it takes up, and is only supported by a single manufacturer). The only real way to tell is with a spectrum display or waterfall.

If it were me, and wanted to try my hand at keyboard comms, PSK31 (run at low power, and is a mode that MultiPSK supports) would be my choice on 14107.15. If you got a nice clean signal, call CQ and see what happens...Mike

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I took a peek and see that MultiPSK supports AMTOR'S FEC and ARQ modes.. Hmm. When I have time, I might just load this up, and play some. :)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If it were me, and wanted to try my hand at keyboard comms, PSK31 (run at low power, and is a mode that MultiPSK supports) would be my choice on 14107.15.
Isn't most 20m PSK31 activity at 14.070 MHz?

k8krh

Sounds good, I also run PACTOR , have made a number of contacts on that using a P4 DRAGON, anyhow will keep an eye on 14.107 or near there, to crowded today with the bees everywhere<rtty>
DOCTOR/795/K8LEN

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I took a peek and see that MultiPSK supports AMTOR'S FEC and ARQ modes.. Hmm. When I have time, I might just load this up, and play some. :)

This is a bit OT, but...

AMTOR FEC (also known as SITOR-B, and used in the NAVTEX protocol) is equally ancient technology, and I doubt there are many users in the ham world anymore. It's used by a number of maritime stations for broadcasts; check the links in this page..

Testing Your New Setup - The RadioReference Wiki

Spend some time learning what modes are used where...you'll get lots more contacts that way...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that MultiPSK is as much monitoring digital sigs that are non-ham as it is ham stuff. And not every mode that it supports can be used in the ham world (for example, HFDL, or ARQ-E or E3). It's important to know the difference between the two so that you don't cause unwanted QRM to the legitimate modes and users on the band.

Mike

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
This is a bit OT, but...

AMTOR FEC (also known as SITOR-B, and used in the NAVTEX protocol) is equally ancient technology, and I doubt there are many users in the ham world anymore. It's used by a number of maritime stations for broadcasts; check the links in this page..

In days of old (yea I'm eligible for the QCWA :) ) when establishing an AMTOR contact, you called CQ and transmitted your call using FEC. The receiving station who heard your CQ would program your call into his terminal and would come back and establish a link using ARQ.

Out of interest, the Canadian government still has a couple of questions in their question pool for the basic amateur test that deals with AMTOR. See the bottom of page 79 here --> http://www.kwarc.org/download/quest-bank.PDF

(Our entry level basic amateur test is a bit tougher than your entry level Technician license). But if you get over 80% in the exam (Basic with honors) you're allowed full HF privileges.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Looks like Industry Canada needs to update its question pool - I seem to recall that when I took my General license test, there was a question or two there on PSK31 that I had to answer.

Mike

N0IU

Looks like Industry Canada needs to update its question pool - I seem to recall that when I took my General license test, there was a question or two there on PSK31 that I had to answer.

Mike

But PSK31 is still widely being used today... unlike the TOR modes!

In days of old (yea I'm eligible for the QCWA :) )...

I have 11 months to go!

Out of interest, the Canadian government still has a couple of questions in their question pool for the basic amateur test that deals with AMTOR.

While the US General Class test pool does not have any questions about AMTOR, there are quite a few dealing with PACTOR:

G2E02 How can a PACTOR modem or controller be used to determine if the channel is in use by other PACTOR stations?

G2E03 What symptoms may result from other signals interfering with a PACTOR or WINMOR transmission?

G2E09 How do you join a contact between two stations using the PACTOR protocol?

G8B05 What is the approximate bandwidth of a PACTOR3 signal at maximum data rate?

G8C05 In the PACTOR protocol, what is meant by an NAK response to a transmitted packet?

G8C06 What action results from a failure to exchange information due to excessive transmission attempts when using PACTOR or WINMOR?

And these questions are from the EXTRA test pool:

E2D07 What digital protocol is used by APRS?
A. PACTOR
B. 802.11
C. AX.25
D. AMTOR

E2E09 Which of the following HF digital modes uses variable-length coding for bandwidth efficiency?
A. RTTY
B. PACTOR
C. MT63
D. PSK31

E2D03
Which of the following digital modes is especially useful for EME communications?
A. FSK441
B. PACTOR III
C. Olivia
D. JT65

AMTOR and PACTOR are not the correct answers to any of these, but they are still used as 'distractors".

Status
Not open for further replies.