Looking for an HD Radio

KR8MR

I have some cars that Have HD Radios in them. I like some of the content. The HD market here for a small town is really cool some stations go to HD4! I have seen all the negative posts on Compression etc. I have noticed that also on my CC WiFi radio. Depends on the station. The one I have now has superseded the other one. And as far as I know does not tell you the BW in KHz of the station you are selecting like the other CC Radio did before.

I also have a little portable Insignia radio Best Buy. I think they still sell it. Its no fun to operate since the controls are hard to figure out in the dark
Just one long row of buttons with -> ZERO SPACING <-

Talk radio low dynamic range (Compression) is not so bad of a problem...like it is with music. In My Opinion
ON STATIONS that relay ANALOG FM for sister stations there are some talk radio stations that I like that have things like ground zero and art bell type stuff and of course Politics. There is a lot of multi path on 106.3 FM (callsign WORD) from Paris Mountain so I get the talk radio 106.3 on 89.9 HD2. Works great. Sometimes it goes off the air fror long periods cuz engineering doesnt seem to monitor it although they can. I call em and they fix it. They said as far as HD radio and listening at HOME I am an "Outlier". They use a Sangean to monitor their signal he said. I have also complained that the commercials are WAY LOUDER than the actual program. They have tried to fix it for me. Not much success. So the dynamic range is obviously there but I dont like how they use it :cool:. I also suspect that this may mean that MY RADIO itself has better dynamic range than their chosen studio monitor.

I have wanted to get a "Stereo" RECEIVER for home that has HD option. But they all seem to be $$$$$ HIGH END $$$$$. (think Crutchfield)
Does anyone know of a reasonable receiver .......or even a portable that has better ergo controls ?
....like knobs or at least spaces out the buttons so you can find them in the dark?

This is my first post (at least in recent years) I am starting to understand how things are structured here. Its a Great Forum.

N4DJC

We have numerous HD stations in the area. I've heard good things about the Sangean HR-18 but have not owned one. My car picks them up well with a minimum antenna, but have no idea if it would receive well inside the house.

KR8MR

But does anyone make a decent priced HD capable home audio receiver ?

a417

I bought an HD radio to listen to FM HD stations and it meets those needs. Other than that, it's easy to use, has great reception on all bands, has great sound quality, and has good aesthetics. I think it was worth it for its reasonable price and I am very happy with my purchase.
The OP was looking for brand/model suggestions...yours is..?

The OP could also consider an aftermarket car head unit. They are small, usually have dials and buttons that are easily manipulated. Yes, there will be a tad bit of work involved (making a small enclosure for the device, a suitable power source, and then getting speakers for it), but this can be left as an exercize to the reader if they don't want to spend $$$$ on it. On the used market, they are basically given away. I have one in my garage/workshop that fits the bill just fine, and it cost me <$100. If you build a small box with a DIN mount, you can replace it at will if required.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I bought several HD Jump radio kits off Ebay a few years ago NIB for $30 free shipping. These were made by Visteon and are pretty high quality, do AM and FM analog and HD, have a remote, and have aux in/out and the ones I got came with home and car kits so it included an AC power supply, AM and FM antennas, etc. Other than the fact they get pretty hot when operating, the sensitivity on both analog and HD rivals some of the coveted Sony tuners people grossly overlay for, have a nice display, and can be run mobile off 12v.

Sadly though, there are only a couple of HD sub channels in the Atlanta market that have compelling unique programming. A decade ago, it was like SiriusXM with a huge variety of music formats like smooth jazz, B-side classic rock, a throw back easy listening station, and WRAS (Georgia state university) had an HD3 that was non-stop iPod on shuffle.

upstatesc

Premium Subscriber
I rely on HD radio at home some too because many of the sports stations in surrounding markets are AM only, but are carried on HD2 or HD3 subchannels of more popular FM stations here. To me the Sony HDR-F1HD previously mentioned is the "gold standard" so to speak, but if you're OK with the different form factor my understanding is the Sony XDR-S3HD and Sony XDR-S10HDiP have the same quality HD tuner. The Sony XDR-S3HD has a headphone output but the S10HDiP doesn't.

Is the portable radio you have this one?

Insignia NS-HD01A Portable Rechargeable Digital HD Radio Player Brand New
Insignia NS-HD01A

If so it has a really good tuner and you can buy battery replacements for it as well.