• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for mounting ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfxChris

Database Admin
So I've basically figured out where I'm going to mount my discone. Actually I figured it out over winter, and now that the summer is here it's finally time to get the logistics sorted and actually do it.
I'm using a maybe 10-foot (haven't measured it...) length of fence post mounted to the top of my clothesline pole, which is already about 15 feet high. The part I haven't quite figured out yet is how to mount the fence post to the clothesline pole.
I thought about drilling holes through each and bolting them together, but that seems like a lot of work and I don't have a good enough drill to go through the clothesline poll without burning out the motor.
Then I thought there's got to be a way to use u-bolts, but I don't see how. Somebody has to have some clever solutions I haven't thought of yet!
The clothesline pole is about a 3 inch diameter, and the fence post is just standard, whatever diameter that is...thanks!

SAR923

I don't know why you can't use U-bolts. Unscrew the bottom plate, have someone hold the two poles together, slip the U-bolt in place and screw on the bottom plate. I've also seen this done with radiator hose clamps but I'd go for some beefy U-bolts as my first choice. Make sure you read up on ground here also, since you're erecting a nice lightning rod. :)

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Or even bands- like "tightenable" hose clamps (really large hose clamps)... might look a little jankey...

KC0QNB

So I've basically figured out where I'm going to mount my discone. Actually I figured it out over winter, and now that the summer is here it's finally time to get the logistics sorted and actually do it.
I'm using a maybe 10-foot (haven't measured it...) length of fence post mounted to the top of my clothesline pole, which is already about 15 feet high. The part I haven't quite figured out yet is how to mount the fence post to the clothesline pole.
I thought about drilling holes through each and bolting them together, but that seems like a lot of work and I don't have a good enough drill to go through the clothesline poll without burning out the motor.
Then I thought there's got to be a way to use u-bolts, but I don't see how. Somebody has to have some clever solutions I haven't thought of yet!
The clothesline pole is about a 3 inch diameter, and the fence post is just standard, whatever diameter that is...thanks!
There are some commercial base antenna mounts that use 4 heavy duty "muffler clamp things" (sorry that is the best name I could come up with) and 2 long bolts, if you look over at antenex.com look at the base station antenna section from the home page then scroll way down the page, they are in the same picture at a red/white tower on the righthand side of the page. You may have to look around a bit to find the items I am talking about.

KC0QNB

Here is another idea, what is the diameter of the clothesline pole? whats the diameter of your "mast"? If that is known you can go to powerstrut.com look at the channel "page" some PS200EH, or PS500EH, both would work. go the pipe and conduit clamps page look for PS1300, or PS1100 clamps that will fit both "pipes" the mast and the clothesline pole. get a minimum of two of each clamp from your local electrical supplier and pick up the 10' section of strut, cut two pieces of strut say a fool long (or longer you now have 10' of the stuff to work with) Place them back to back bolt them together using 1/2"x1" short bolts (through the slots) and nuts/flatwashers/lockwashers.
attach your clothesline pole clamps first, tighten the bolt on the clamp set them say 3-4" feet apart. now attach your mast pipe, and antenna to the other side of the strut "bracket" tighten the bolts down on the clamps.
There you go, a mounted mast that will withstand some major wind. A word of caution, if you go higher than 15 feet find a way to guy the mast. Your cost on this will vary by location, we sell the strut for around $15 for 10 feet, the clamps probably under $10 for all four, project cost less than $30 not including labor and my consultation fee (just kidding)

hfxChris

Database Admin
Hey, now there's some excellent ideas, better than what I was coming up with.
I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible, without having to order things from different companies. I would, if possible, like to be able to find everything at my local Home Depot. I think I'll find some heavy duty U bolts and really tighten them; then maybe for good measure I'll use some large hose clamps as well..
Oh, and I'll have a cheque for your consultation fee in the mail :)

Thanks guys!

KC0QNB

You should be able to buy everything at a local electrical supply house, the different clamps that will be available will vary, do some snooping and find a house that supplies the industrial/commercial market, they will more than likely have the widest selection, where are you located at?

hfxChris

Database Admin
About 4 years back. People are still getting used to it; a little old lady fried herself last weekend when she tried to make toast in the bath tub...

Status
Not open for further replies.