Looking for others using Raspberry Pi with Radio Shack Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

I tried the whit circle I mic and no difference. Tried both settings mic and line in and no difference. When I run it on batteries it sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb8zxe

I am at work so I do not have all the info you are requesting at this moment. I am running a feed with a PI and 106 scanner. Brown County Fire and EMS I can post more information tonight if needed. I have had a lot of issues but currently it is sounding good I think.

In the past I had a bad sound card, with the scanner connected it sounded bad but when I would disconnect the audio cable it went away. I swapped the scanner and cables but it ended up being the sound card after all.

I also ran into issues trying to power the pi with a buck converter and scanner from the same 12 volt source. I have an external antenna which is grounded and bonded to the tower which is also connected to the negative of my battery string. This was creating a ground loop so I tried CATV isolation transformers. The isolation transformers messed with the CQPSK simulcast signal making the transmissions funny. I ended up powering the scanner from a ac to dc wall wart on a ups and that issue was solved. The PI is currently powered with a buck converter directly off of a 12 volt battery bank.

I have a homemade audio cable with isolation transformer and some resistors to drop down the audio. These seems to be the biggest help.

Finally, I was picking up the local am station one day very faintly in the back ground of the feed. Bonding the coax to the station ground next to the scanner took care of that.

So yes I have been through a lot but I am happy with audio quality. I also run 2 other feeds with PI's and PRO 197's. Pretty much the same applies to those feeds as well. If you want a sketch of my audio cable let me know. It's nothing special but I found it to be the key to making my feed have very little noise.

Good Luck

Bob

N5JMC

I am at work so I do not have all the info you are requesting at this moment. I am running a feed with a PI and 106 scanner. Brown County Fire and EMS I can post more information tonight if needed. I have had a lot of issues but currently it is sounding good I think.

In the past I had a bad sound card, with the scanner connected it sounded bad but when I would disconnect the audio cable it went away. I swapped the scanner and cables but it ended up being the sound card after all.

I also ran into issues trying to power the pi with a buck converter and scanner from the same 12 volt source. I have an external antenna which is grounded and bonded to the tower which is also connected to the negative of my battery string. This was creating a ground loop so I tried CATV isolation transformers. The isolation transformers messed with the CQPSK simulcast signal making the transmissions funny. I ended up powering the scanner from a ac to dc wall wart on a ups and that issue was solved. The PI is currently powered with a buck converter directly off of a 12 volt battery bank.

I have a homemade audio cable with isolation transformer and some resistors to drop down the audio. These seems to be the biggest help.

Finally, I was picking up the local am station one day very faintly in the back ground of the feed. Bonding the coax to the station ground next to the scanner took care of that.

So yes I have been through a lot but I am happy with audio quality. I also run 2 other feeds with PI's and PRO 197's. Pretty much the same applies to those feeds as well. If you want a sketch of my audio cable let me know. It's nothing special but I found it to be the key to making my feed have very little noise.

Good Luck

Bob

I'd like to get that additional info if you don't mind. Also pics of your setup like how you power the scanner and pi. I would like to get this resolved. Have you listened to my feed to see if it sounds similar with yours?

I sent you a pm on Tapatalk with my email. If you don't get it I'll login to rr.com and send it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiya

Feed Provider
to get rid of this noise you need to ground the scanner to the pi. I hooked a wire on outside of the bnc connector for antenna to the outside of the rca jack on the pi (older pi).

Chronic

a isolation transformer between the scanner and the pi will most likely solve all of your hum noise

Status
Not open for further replies.