Looking for the right antenna mast.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
So here is what i want to do, i have two antennas that i want to mount one is a discone and the other is a j pole and what i am trying to do is use a piece of pipe that is no bigger than 1' 3/8 in diameter and put the discone ontop of the pipe and midway's down attach the j pole i have already bought the mounts to mount the j pole to the pipe but i'm having trouble with finding the right kind of pipe. If i could get something that is 50 foot and lite that would be nice and i could put it in the ground or something, if i can't get something that big i could use something around 20 feet and mount it ontop of my roof, I found a Video of a guy that has a retractable pole but there isn't any link to it and i'm needing something that is cheap not something that crazy expensive.

But that's my idea of what i'm wanting to do i'm not really smart on some of this antenna stuff so i'm asking some of you guys who has probably already been through this.

I appreciate each and every comment Thanks.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
A 50ft mast usually needs a set of guy wires every 10ft so even if you attach it to the eaves of the roof you still might need two sets of guy wires at 30 and 40ft up. Putting a 20ft mast on the roof is not that bad and for lightweight antennas you should be ok with one set of guy wires at 10ft. Here are instructions for making a 20ft pushup mast which has become very expensive but the parts can be had from Home Depot and a clamp from eBay for much cheaper. Home made 20ft pushup mast

The Discone on top is easy but a VHF or UHF J-pole below has its problems as you want to get a UHF version out from the mast a good 4ft out from the mast and further for a VHF to keep the radiation pattern somewhat omni directional. You would need an arm to hold the antenna away from the mast which is not difficult up to about 4ft but further becomes a problem of strength and how it affects the main mast.

Aluminum right angle and T fittings from Nu-rail or Speed rail make an easy mast arm and are available off eBay and commercial vendors. See post #5 here for a cross arm I made with aluminum fittings. For your project it would be half of the cross arm with one T fitting on the main mast then a length of the same pipe used for the top section of the push up mast then a right angle fitting and maybe 1ft section of mast to hold the J-pole. Seeking Advice on my Antenna Setup for far, and Expanding it

Last edited:

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
A 50ft mast usually needs a set of guy wires every 10ft so even if you attach it to the eaves of the roof you still might need two sets of guy wires at 30 and 40ft up. Putting a 20ft mast on the roof is not that bad and for lightweight antennas you should be ok with one set of guy wires at 10ft. Here are instructions for making a 20ft pushup mast which has become very expensive but the parts can be had from Home Depot and a clamp from eBay for much cheaper. Home made 20ft pushup mast

The Discone on top is easy but a VHF or UHF J-pole below has its problems as you want to get a UHF version out from the mast a good 4ft out from the mast and further for a VHF to keep the radiation pattern somewhat omni directional. You would need an arm to hold the antenna away from the mast which is not difficult up to about 4ft but further becomes a problem of strength and how it affects the main mast.

Aluminum right angle and T fittings from Nu-rail or Speed rail make an easy mast arm and are available off eBay and commercial vendors. See post #5 here for a cross arm I made with aluminum fittings. For your project it would be half of the cross arm with one T fitting on the main mast then a length of the same pipe used for the top section of the push up mast then a right angle fitting and maybe 1ft section of mast to hold the J-pole. Seeking Advice on my Antenna Setup for far, and Expanding it
Ok thanks i have ended up going with a 10ft pole to mount on the roof... halfway down the pole i have put one of those satellite tv arm mount things and i was gonna mount the J pole to it but your saying that will be to close.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you look at your local Public Service Tower what you will see are Antennas 4 to 6 foot off of the tower add the 42 inch tower and your Antennas are sometimes 15 feet apart to keep the Antennas from interfering with each other and to keep their patterns as designed.
This is Antennas at the same height also some Antennas are mounted 60 Feet Vertically apart for Isolation.