looking for the scanner antenna to use on uhf

Status
Not open for further replies.

david1975au

dear forum, im located in australia i have good reception on vhf hi and lo vhf but when i go to uhf using a discone the uhf reception is crap im usinga discone .ve tried radioshack dicones, benelec discones, diamond discone worth$200 nearly ive tried an icom ah7000 dicone antenna , 8an anyone tell me why there not much good for 400mhz and up im using rg213 cable and ntype connection but still isnt very good anyone tell me why if theres a reason, david nsw austrealia . :( 8) :x :)

LarrySC

What you need is a Commerical Grade two-way antenna. MAXRAD here in US makes more antennas than you can count. They make several GAIN UHF and some dual band VHF/UHF. These are mobiles using Motorola NMO mounts. There is a base adp for these mobiles and they work good as a base antenna without dumping $200-$500. Total for mobile with base adp should be about $75 US. Check to see what Co supplies antennas for your Fire/EMS etc. Could be there is a dealer in AU. Try maxrad.com

N

N_Jay

david1975au said:
dear forum, im located in australia i have good reception on vhf hi and lo vhf but when i go to uhf using a discone the uhf reception is crap im usinga discone .ve tried radioshack dicones, benelec discones, diamond discone worth$200 nearly ive tried an icom ah7000 dicone antenna , 8an anyone tell me why there not much good for 400mhz and up im using rg213 cable and ntype connection but still isnt very good anyone tell me why if theres a reason, david nsw austrealia . :( 8) :x :)

1) How many feet of cable. New it is over 4dB per hundred feet.

2) How old is it? How much is exposed to the sun?

3) what are you trying to hear? (are you sure its the antenna, and not the location?)

4) Is it well supported? (It will streach over time).

Status
Not open for further replies.