Looking to buy first radio

maxjb6

Hey all,
I'm looking to buy my first (budget) radio but I'm having some trouble figuring out which one is best for me. I'm looking for a CB radio with a scanner that can scan trunked frequencies (Palmetto 800). I'm not too knowledgeable on trunked scanners, but based on what I've researched, the beartracker 885 seems to be a good option. Does anyone have any recommendations or places to find more info? I have also seen the BCT15X which I believe is just a scanner and doesn't have CB. Would it make sense to have two different systems? If anyone in upstate SC has any budget friendly setups to share that would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Just so you know, the Palmetto 800 system is the primary radio communication network on encrypted talkgroups over the entire system in South Carolina as of May 30, 2024. So there won't be any way you can monitor them.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm looking for a CB radio with a scanner that can scan trunked frequencies
Welcome to RR.

"CB radios" are transceivers (two way radios) that operate in the 27 MHz band. "Trunked" frequencies can be anywhere in the radio spectrum. The literal answer to your question is no such radio is available. There are some CB's that include 162 MHz "weather band", and some ham radios that will transmit within the ham bands and receive "from DC to daylight", but none of these will follow a trunking system.

However, there are scanners (receive only radios) available that cover a wide range of frequencies from 27MHx thru 900 MHz (sometimes higher) with a variety of waveforms and operating modes. Examples include (Uniden) SDS 100, SDS 200 and 325P2. If the system you want to monitor is encrypted, then you are totally out of luck since no scanners have crypto modules and, most likely, even if they did, you would not have access to the encryption key(s).

maxjb6

It would help to know your city and county and the agencies you would like to monitor.
I am in the Clemson area so I would like to tune into Clemson PD the University PD and Pickens CO agencies.

Just so you know, the Palmetto 800 system is the primary radio communication network on encrypted talkgroups over the entire system in South Carolina as of May 30, 2024. So there won't be any way you can monitor them.
Based on the RR database, it seems like all Clemson agencies use Palmetto 800 but I could be reading it wrong. Does this mean there are no scanners that would pick up these frequencies?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Pickens County uses a NXDN system for its primary communications. FleetTalk Carolinas Trunking System, Various, Multi-State The 885 is not capable of that. The talkgroups for Muni PD Disp and Easley PD Disp are encrypted part of the time. The Palmetto 800 sites for Pickens County are not simulcast. The database shows that none of the Pickens County talkgroups on the Palmetto 800 are encrypted. Your lowest priced scanners would be the Uniden BCD325P2 handheld and BCD996P2 base/mobile. You will need to purchase the NXDN upgrade for either scanner. It is less expensive to install the upgrade yourself than to have a dealer do it. You will need to purchase software to program either scanner. You will not be able to use the FreeSCAN free software since it does not support NXDN. You will need either ARC XT or ProScan to program the scanner. Both have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC XT Basic to program my BCD325P2 and BCD996P2. I have programming files for Pickens County which I would be happy to share with you.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
"CB radios" are transceivers (two way radios) that operate in the 27 MHz band. "Trunked" frequencies can be anywhere in the radio spectrum. The literal answer to your question is no such radio is available. There are some CB's that include 162 MHz "weather band", and some ham radios that will transmit within the ham bands and receive "from DC to daylight", but none of these will follow a trunking system.
Actually, the Beartracker 885 is a CB radio with a built in digital scanner as part of the package. The digital scanner is limited as far as programming goes, though there have been comments in the forum, and on the unit's Wiki page, about manually editing the memory card to expand what you can hear with it. However, as tvengr pointed out, a number of the agencies in Pickens County are using NXDN, which the 885 cannot decode. So, to cover what you are interested in, you would be better served by using a digital scanner, such as the 996P2 or 325P2, with the optional NXDN upgrade, to monitor the public safety agencies of interest, including those using the Palmetto system, and a separate, well featured CB radio. If you only wanted to be able to monitor the CB channels, but not use them to talk to others on a given channel, then either of those scanners are capable of receiving the frequencies used by CB radios. Of course, if at some point, one or more of your agencies of interest starts using encryption, you would no longer be able to monitor them.

Edit to add: though ScannerMaster (which is linked in this post) is out of stock, Beartracker 885 radio shows as currently in stock at Amazon as well as direct from Uniden.

shajoe44

Feed Provider
Clemson Fire and EMS use Palmetto 800. Campus and City PD still uses UHF. Every now and then you might hear City on the 800 system. The SCHP in that that area can be heard on the Clemson site. I will say, outside of the State agencies, not many 800 agencies are affliated with the Clemson site.

evan

Database Admin
I have to ask-did you mean 2025? We are past the date you mentioned and there's lots of unencrypted traffic on Palmetto 800. And where did your intel come from?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
That's the first I've seen of the Beartracker 885. It's an interesting looking radio. If you're looking primarily for a CB transceiver radio that also includes some scanning features, I think this is your only option. Keep in mind that, compared to a traditional scanner, this unit lacks some pretty important features related to scanning. I'm glad to see it has separate antenna connections for the scanner and the CB - you'd be hard pressed to find a single antenna that would work decently for both functions.

As far as scanner features, you will lack the ability to see in the display which agency you're hearing at any given time. And I don't see a way that you have much control over what agencies are scanned or not scanned - you can select service types, but you wouldn't, for example, be able to limit your scanning to only the Clemson Univ PD and Clemson City PD. Perhaps I missed the details about having more control over selecting and de-selecting objects that are scanned beyond just GPS control and Service types.

It appears you would also be at the mercy of the accuracy of the RadioReference database. As one of the SC Database admins, of course I think we do a pretty good job of keeping the database up to date. But there are always mistakes, and most importantly, there are things missing in the database. I see that the database on the radio can be updated weekly, which is great. But there are plenty of areas (not necessarily in SC) where the RadioReference database is incomplete or out of date.

You might be better served to purchase separate devices (CB and scanner) to ensure you have the features you're looking for on the scanning side. As far as cost, unfortunately most modern scanners are not what I would consider "budget friendly." The fact is that many areas in South Carolina (not Pickens County, but most other notable population centers) use simulcast towers for Palmetto 800. The only scanners that will reliably scan simulcast systems are the SDS-100 and 200 which I don't consider "budget friendly" (not friendly to my budget, at least). So if you plan to scan outside of Pickens County - say, in Greenville, or Anderson, or Spartanburg, or Greenwood, or Rock Hill - you'll want a scanner that supports simulcast scanning. And as previously noted, this combo radio (the BT 885) doesn't support scanning of NXDN systems, which are now in use by public safety agencies in Pickens, Abbeville, Chester, Edgefield, Fairfield and Cherokee Counties. Nor does it scan DMR systems, which are in use by public safety agencies in Oconee, McCormick and soon in Edgefield Counties.

If you decide to purchase it, I'll be very interested to hear your review of how it works.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,
I'm looking to buy my first (budget) radio but I'm having some trouble figuring out which one is best for me. I'm looking for a CB radio with a scanner that can scan trunked frequencies (Palmetto 800). I'm not too knowledgeable on trunked scanners, but based on what I've researched, the beartracker 885 seems to be a good option. Does anyone have any recommendations or places to find more info? I have also seen the BCT15X which I believe is just a scanner and doesn't have CB. Would it make sense to have two different systems? If anyone in upstate SC has any budget friendly setups to share that would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
I am currently vacationing in Horry County and I brought along my SDS100. When I got down here a week ago I put in the zip code for Murrels Inlet. I hear a lot of traffic on the Palmetto 800 system , I’m getting Georgetown Sherriff Dept , Georgetown County PD , fire depts and hospitals among others. Also listening to the Horry County system which is all in the clear with the exception of I think it was SC dept of natural resources. I know the Myrtle Beach PD is encrypted and possibly North Myrtle Beach PD but there is still a bunch of stuff in the clear. I’m also listening to a bunch of the local resorts and attractions , picking up a dump truck company that’s doing a lot of late night work , so there’s quite a bit to listen to. I would suggest try saving up some more and go for the SDS 100 for maximum listening.