Low Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE6oo installed in my 07 Explorer, I also have a Vertex HiBand Radio as well as BCT-8 scanner. I have noticied from time to time that when I have left all the radios on when I cut my car off and strart it back up, the GRE600 doesn't come, on but says "low power", I cut it off and back on again and it woeks fine---anyone else experienced anthing like that and the possible cause?

Thanks and be safe

Deeke

I've had that happen when using the cig adapter I hardwired it and haven't had it happen since.

I figure the computer shuts down some accessories when cranking the veh with a weakened battery.

Leaving the radios on shouldn't have dropped the voltage much but depending on the length of time could have dropped the amps.

Remember the 500&600 are 99.9% identical and it sensed that it's battery voltage/amperage had dropped below the threshold

I haven't tried it since the hard wiring solve my problem but you can change the low battery threshold maybe to 7v and see if that helps...

RadioDaze

I've seen it posted somewhere around here that it's risky for the radios to be ON when cranking the starter. I would agree that it's inconvenient in practice when a number of radios are installed.

The 600 may be shutting off to protect itself.

Deeke

I've seen it posted somewhere around here that it's risky for the radios to be ON when cranking the starter. I would agree that it's inconvenient in practice when a number of radios are installed.

The 600 may be shutting off to protect itself.

You are 110% correct, it's not good for the radio(s)
I don't usually do it BUT it does happen. I think his main concern was "why" a mobile scanner would show low voltage.

Deeke

It could also mean that your car/truck battery is weak. You should know after this cold/ice front comes through, whether it cranks slow or not all.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.