Lubbock

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooten3

In the last few days I can no longer receive any transmissions. I can hear the control frequency "Hiss". I'm wondering if the frequencies have changed or a change in the trunking. I believe the fiscal year started in October so it would make sense if there are changes. However, I haven't seen any posts concerning a change, tower maintenance, ect. Any insights. BTW - I made no changes with my scanner (BCD325P2) - suddenly lost reception even when I would drive around town.

jeffpair

Playing with radio and scanners for 35 years
Premium Subscriber
No sir coming in just fine. I have found it helpful to lockout the site I’m on and unlocking another site. Ex. Lock out East tower and try West. Been a lot of activity on Narcom this week.

jeffpair

Playing with radio and scanners for 35 years
Premium Subscriber
You wouldn’t be the same Hooten that likes to walk in Cotton fields and look at “bugs” would ya?

hooten3

No sir. Thanks for the input. SW Lubbock can be weird at times. But I could always receive when I would get in the car. THe last few days I haven't been able to receive anything.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Their simulcast design was not the best, IMHO. They cut corners by trying leverage higher HAAT sites instead of more sites at lower HAAT. Even with extra down tilt and lowered power on the higher sites the delay spread has significant enough ISI to create symbol/clock recovery problems for lesser receivers. A better quality scanner like a SDSx00 could help, but it all depends where you are and where the delay spread is greater.

hooten3

Their simulcast design was not the best, IMHO. They cut corners by trying leverage higher HAAT sites instead of more sites at lower HAAT. Even with extra down tilt and lowered power on the higher sites the delay spread has significant enough ISI to create symbol/clock recovery problems for lesser receivers. A better quality scanner like a SDSx00 could help, but it all depends where you are and where the delay spread is greater.
I continue to have reception issues. And when I am able to receive, the multipath or decoding issues with the BCD325p2 make it almost unusable. Folks are suggesting the SDS100 for mobile use. I hate to be out another $700, but that may be the best solution. Any suggestions? I think Uniden has a trade in program that may help.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
A true I/Q receiver handles the inter-symbol interference much better. That's why the subscriber radios are designed that way and when lives are on the line a necessity.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I continue to have reception issues. And when I am able to receive, the multipath or decoding issues with the BCD325p2 make it almost unusable. Folks are suggesting the SDS100 for mobile use. I hate to be out another $700, but that may be the best solution. Any suggestions? I think Uniden has a trade in program that may help.
Uniden itself does not do trade-ins. However, some of the dealers. such as Bearcat Warehouse, do. Based on the experience what someone I've corresponded with had with that dealer, he did not get near what the scanner would have sold for, had he handled it himself.

If you were only using your 325P2 at home, you might be able to have success with a directional antenna, to minimize the out of synch signals from multiple towers. But, of course, that is not something that would work for use while mobile.

You might take a look at this receiver:
At $259.00, it's much less than an SDS100, but it only does P25 (Phase I & Phase II), and I believe now supports DMR. If you retained your 325P2 as well, that would cover the numerous other agencies that are still using conventional channels.

There is a very long discussion thread on this unit. The designer is on the forums a lot, answering questions & taking suggestions. I have zero experience with it, but it does sound like a possible solution to simulcast problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.