LW listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

greedo24

What is there to listen to on LW? Being a pilot, I'm familiar with aeronautical beacons. But beyond that, what's in this range of the spectrum? I know there's ELF stuff down below 150 (which would require special equipment for most SW sets) but between 150 and 500, other than the Non-Directional Beacons what is there to listen for?

TIA.

-Greedo

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
I'm listening to France Inter right now as I type this on 162 kHz. This is one of a small handful of European and African broadcast stations that can reach across the big pond and provide some interesting and exotic DX. Some of these operate in the megawatt range and really get out. Here's a good reference of active Euro and African longwave broadcast stations:

EMWG - Long Wave

Oh, and my favorite, Medi 1 from Morocco just faded in on 171 kHz right now at 0339 UTC with Arabian music. You won't find more exotic music on longwave, guaranteed!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you want to get into LW seriously, you want to belong to this...they're a club that's been around a long time, and has lots of information on the subject...

Longwave Home Page

Mike

Boombox

There are LowFers in the Longwave spectrum, also. I've never heard one, but then, I don't have a good enough antenna for longwave.

I'm planning on rigging up a large indoor spiral loop for next DX season, and seeing what I can hear. In the late 1980's I was able to log a few beacons from 400 miles away, using a 3.5 ft spiral loop, but didn't stick with LW DXing enough to see what else was out there.

If I were anywhere near the East Coast of the US or Canada, I'd definitely try to hear some of the LW broadcasters from across the Atlantic.

greedo24

kilokat7: Thanks for the info. I also live in West Michigan. What sort of antenna are you using? might I be able to pick some of these stations up on my Sony ICF-SW7000GR?
TIA!

k9rzz- I live In Western lower Michigan.

-Greedo

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
kilokat7: Thanks for the info. I also live in West Michigan. What sort of antenna are you using? might I be able to pick some of these stations up on my Sony ICF-SW7000GR?
TIA!

Ah, cool, a local! :) I admit to using a huge antenna to receive LW broadcast stations, but on rare occasions in the dead of winter I have heard some of these powerhouse broadcasters on a barefoot Realistic DX-440, albeit at low signal levels but readable nonetheless. Given our location, about the most you can expect to hear on LW on a barefoot portable are non directional beacons, DGPS signals, and occasional experimental ham activity just above 500 kHz. The more challenging DX, like the European LW broadcast stations and Lowfers will require more specialized equipment and an antenna tailored for LW reception, such as a beverage or resonant loop.

greedo24

Perhaps I shall try building a wire loop antenna. I've already got a 3' diameter mag loop I built out of copper water tubing, but it's a bit impractical to bring it into the house. The one time I went out into the open to try and use it was in the summer and there were too many mosquitos around. One device that works fantastic without an external antenna is my little Sony SRF59. It has pulled in stations from New Orleans and Florida for me in the past.

Thanks for all your help! Great to meet a fellow Michigander! :)

-Greedo

Boombox

Place that SRF-59 next to a decent AM band tuned loop and it will DX as well as a Superadio.

I have box crate loop (single plastic milk crate with wire & a tuner capacitor) I made that I use with my Superadio and also with my SRF-59 (and a couple other transistor AM radios).

As far as LW goes, I am going to make another, larger box crate loop for longwave this fall, and see how it works. Just hold 4 or 6 plastic milk crates together with zipcords. I have one with 4 crates I don't use much, I'll probably add wire to adapt it to LW and see how that goes first.

greedo24

Cool idea, thanks Boombox! I had noticed that when I held my SRF59 next to the bottom of a lampshade which had a steel hoop inside I suddenly was able to pick up 49m signals from Bonaire. I'll try the larger loop once I get time to make one.

-Greedo

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.122 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Reception of the Eu/nAf LW broadcasters in Aus/NZ is virtually impossible.

Here in sNJ most often heard are 153 and 162. Signals typically peak 30-60 min before local sunset. A second, lesser, peak occurs around sunrise at the transmitter site.

Status
Not open for further replies.