• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M/A-Com radio techs, check in. Got a project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
If you're a radio technician who knows the M/A-Com Jaguar, 5100, or 7100 series radios, check in, please.

I really want you to check in if you're able to repair boards by component level repair rather
than do board swaps.

I'm learning component level repair on these radios, and the manuals do help, of course,
but troubleshooting information is very limited, in part because M/A-Com recommends that
component repairs be done that the factory. They're not exactly encouraging techs to
go in and start swapping out tiny surface-mounted devices. I can see their reasoning,
as it can be pretty nerve wracking even if you've got experience with surface mount rework
and repair.

I DO have surface mount rework and repair skills and I'm not afraid to change ANY part on
the boards, and have done so on numerous occasions. From the tiniest 0105 devices to
the Patti and Hillary chips, I'll change any of them and you'll never know they've been off
the board. No problem there.

What I'd like, though, is to pool knowledge with other techs so that a useful troubleshooting
guide can be put together for these radios.

I plan to start by probing a working radio and recording nominal signal levels and DC and
AC values in various modes, plus waveform captures as well. At many important
junctions in the circuit, of course.

I'd like to get to the point where I can quickly isolate problems correctly based on this
data, saving extra troubleshooting time.

For example, I have two UHF low split 7100s right now that have perfect transmitters but
have receiver problems. One's got a very deaf receiver but it's not completely dead.
But it takes a -55 dBm signal before the green busy LED lights up. But it unsquelches
normally, with good audio, and keypad and button tones all work.

The other one's receiver is TOTALLY dead. No keypad or other tones as well. A max
signal (+19 dBm) doesn't give a busy indication.

I attacked the audio section already as that's apparently a separate problem of its own.
But apparently the driver transistors and JRC audio amp chip were fine as the problem
persists. I'm starting to think that Hillary is whacked out although the transmitter works
just fine.

I have no evidence to support the idea that the RX VCO has any problem. I've swept
the entire band, and beyond, to see if I can stimulate any response out of the receiver,
but no, there's nothing there. And no error codes anyway.

I hope to, in the near future, be able to state "This component fails and reduces your
RX sensitivity by about 50 dB. Or that one fails and the receiver receives nothing at all."
And have it all on paper as an informed troubleshooting guide.

So who's able to participate and interested in helping? I'd suggest a divide and conquer
approach, with one person working on documenting the receiver and another working
on the transmitter, and another on the logic, or audio, etc...

Elroy

flecom

well ive been playing a lot with orion VCO's... gotten them to do some interesting/cool things... but more about that later ;)

i would definately be interested in participating but i dont have any broken P7100's lol

i only have my VHF P7100/M7100

MASTR-V

So....you want to get free help to fix radios? Are you planning on making money doing this?

Why not just go to the class in Lynchburg? A couple of repaired radios sold on eBay could certainly fund that class.

MASTR-V

It's getting to be a greater percentage because of perceived difficulty with the repairs, but not all of them do...no.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
No, frankly I'm NOT planning to make money doing this. To me, learning these radios is
a personal challenge and quest for knowledge. And since throubleshooting guides for
these radios are rudimentary, I'd like to see a detailed guide created, and I'll do my part
to make it happen.

I've got enough radios with assorted problems right now that the process of fixing them
will take me well into troubleshooting every major system on the radios. I'm making
custom test fixtures and aids in order to facilitate probing the board on both sides while
the radio is running, using a skeletonized frame. I am making a control fixture as well,
which is essentially a front keypad and display assembly, with volume and channel controls,
packaged into a Bud enclosure. Cabling is a bit of a challenge but it's not too bad.
Some old flatbed scanners happen to have flex cables in them that are the right lead pitch
to facilitate hookup to a salvaged pair of RF/display board interface connectors. A few
pieces of G10 circuit board material, some epoxy, a little work with a soldering iron,
and you've got a simple but rugged way to hook up the display/keyboard test box to the
radio board.

Elroy

JungleJim

I agree with Elroy, techs should share tips. It benefits us all and most importantly our customers. The majority of my customers are law enforcement, fire and civil service. Our local governments don't always have alot of money to spend and if we can provide them with good, reliable communications so much the better. It's my tax dollars too and besides that, I live here.

As for your deaf P7100, I haven't had a problem with a UHF model but I have seen a couple of 800 radios come in about 30dB deaf. On these radios the solder joint would break on either the input or output transformer to the 1st IF double balanced mixer. The mixer and both torroidal transformers are in a module with a metal can shield over it. Unsolder one side and the can will bend over and expose the inner components. You'll need a good magnifying glass or microscope to find the fracture. These radios had been dropped and the transformers are glued to the circuitboard with a silicone compund that has the consistency of Jell-o.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
That'd be the little block with six contacts, next to the T/R switch/filter assembly, right?
Z101, the manual says. I'm sure that's it.

Heck, I'm swimming in spare boards so I'll just swap out the module instead. I've only got about eighty (Yes!!!) assorted 7100 and Jaguar boards to work with, some of which
are donors and some of which are recipients.

I tried that....no difference.

The signal strength indicator (FCC menu, conventional mode) is bottomed out at -146 dBm and stays there. I'm starting to suspect the T/R switch/filter assy,
which is a ***** to change out.

This will be easier once I get all of my service aids. M/A-Com's aids cost too much and aren't all that great, so I'm having a small custom run of display board
extenders made up (making the run for about what M/A-Com sells ONE of their version of the extender for, allowing me to have spares and sell a few, too.)
and I've also got a rear casting that's going to be skeletonized so the whole board is accessible from both sides. Plus a custom antenna insert, which provides
a BNC on the casting. Unlike the M/A-Com version that screws into the frame antenna connector, this version replaces the frame antenna connector entirely.

It should be a lot easier when I can just inject the target signal into the receiver and RF probe it all the way to the Hillary chip.

Elroy

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
This is getting more fun all the time. Now I've had a power supply failure on this radio. It's dead. I'm checking the regulator chain out and the failure is near the start of it. But frankly, the manual is a little bit clearer than mud. Only a LITTLE clearer. So I'm making notes as
I go. The darn thing's complex. I need to check out the control signals. And I'm hindered by the fact that the regulators are on
the back side of the board, the side that's not accessible when the board is in the housing
with power connected. I'll be glad when my customized service aids are done!

I've got a few "special" radios that all have problems. They're all direct FM models (179 board) and I've sworn to repair every one of them 100 percent. And every one of them has different problems. Dead, resets, low TX power, off frequency, low or no audio,
no or weak RX, hardware errors, modulation problems, I've got a library of problems to
deal with and every one of them is a learning adventure.

I'm getting experience with every part of the whole radio, and I like that. :)

Elroy

JungleJim

On the resets, if you mean it shows the power up self test screen then shuts off and goes in a continuous cycle, that is a simple problem to solve. The radio tracking data has been corrupted and is failing the power up checksum test. Sometimes the error is in an editable field, look for a max reading (255 or 65535) out of line with the surrounding readings. These can be set back to in line with the adjacent values and reprogrammed. Sometimes the errror is in the framing data and then all you can do is load fresh tracking data into the radio. For a complete fix to keep it from coming back, Macom recommends finishing by flashing the radio with R10B or higher and Programmer R20. I found that this predominantly happens with the R9 series flash codes. R9A is the worst.

Hardware errors could also be flash code problems.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that info. I'll look into it.

I'd hate to discover that I sacrificed a recoverable radio for parts to repair a radio with
more serious problems...but it might have happened once or twice.

There's a lot to learn here. And it's a bit more difficult when you're pretty much doing it by yourself. This is "self-paced study" at its finest. :)

Elroy

JungleJim

If you upgrade to R20/RPM and sign up for FX it is a LOT of money, but it also opens a vast amount information to you.

JungleJim

FX is a subscription to get software updates, flash/DSP , and Tech Service Memos.

Macom, going back to the GE days, was not to reliable in notifying users when problems or tech memos were released. I find that I still have to keep digging around to find out when new info is available.

I will say that they do have one of the better dealer sites that I have seen.

KA2FWN

one of the things i do first before opening up the radio is to flash and program the radio again
fix,s a lot of prob

fx = yup
r20/rpm = yup
send out for boards = no way

Status
Not open for further replies.