Mahwah NJ Police Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2NHL

If you're looking for a NEW scanner, then the link that @Danny37 posted for the WS1040 seems to be the in the reasonably priced entry level range. In the Uniden world, I see that the BCD325P2 in on the higher priced range but may be simpler to program. If you want some simplicity in programming, then you may want to consider the Home Patrol series (again the price is going to be something to consider). Currently, I monitor Mahwah from an original Home Patrol - which has become my "go-to" for local analog and standalone/Phase 1 P25 digital.

Danny37

Ok, so what is the advantage from digital over analog, and is there a way to see when Mahwah switched?

Digital tends to have more features then analog. You'll hear nothing but a loud noise with an analog scanner if you try to scan a P25 signal. The whistler Ws1040 is the cheapest option for a digital scanner for your use--I posted a link to it in my other post.

markjrenna

Spending good money on a Phase 1 scanner and not being able to listen to Phase 2... Doesn't seem like a wise decision to me, especially for a handheld. Save up... Get a better scanner... You will be happy you did.

mahwahcitizen

Hey all

It's been a while but I am starting to research this again and I wanted to come on here and ask, what is the difference between these two frequencies for Mahwah Police. I will attach a photo to this post to show you what I mean.

Also, if I wanted to listen to other Mahwah frequencies, such as EMS and Fire, would that work with the Whistler WS1040 as well?

Attachments

• Mahwah Police.PNG
    Mahwah Police.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 10

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The WS1040 will receive all of Mahwah's UHF channels. The PD 2 channel is simply a secondary channel that they have available, probably not used all that often.

mahwahcitizen

Got it…. So the Whistler 1040 huh. Would that one be compatible with the P25 Phase II or whatever you guys were talking about…

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you only care about listening to Mahwah PD, you don't need a P25 Phase II capable scanner. The person who posted that is in another state and is unfamiliar with Mahwah. Any P25 Phase I scanner will be fine for Mahwah.

mahwahcitizen

Yeah, I know. I’m just saying if Mahwah does decide to go Phase II, then I wouldn’t be able to use the 1040. What are the chances of that happening?

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I know. I’m just saying if Mahwah does decide to go Phase II, then I wouldn’t be able to use the 1040. What are the chances of that happening?
They won't unless they switch to the Bergen County Trunk System. As Long as they are on 460.4625 etc they will only be P25 Conventional. Phase 2 is only for Trunking.

mahwahcitizen

I'm sorry but I have no clue what any of these terms mean. If someone doesn't mind, could they briefly explain what trunking, Phase I and II, P25, Simulcast, etc means.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm sorry but I have no clue what any of these terms mean. If someone doesn't mind, could they briefly explain what trunking, Phase I and II, P25, Simulcast, etc means.
Start here, lots of information, all of those questions have already been answered in various wiki articles.

It is very, very unlikely that Mahwah PD will be migrating to the Bergen County Public Safety Trunked System. This because Mahwah PD currently has multiple satellite receivers in place for their P25 UHF conventional repeater system. The belief is that the Bergen County system would not provide the same in-building coverage Mahwah PD has become accustomed to, despite Bergen County having receivers located in Mahwah and nearby Franklin Lakes. The possible loss of in-building coverage is what may prevent several other local police departments from making the switch (e.g. Glen Rock/Ridgewood).

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
It is very, very unlikely that Mahwah PD will be migrating to the Bergen County Public Safety Trunked System. This because Mahwah PD currently has multiple satellite receivers in place for their P25 UHF conventional repeater system. The belief is that the Bergen County system would not provide the same in-building coverage Mahwah PD has become accustomed to, despite Bergen County having receivers located in Mahwah and nearby Franklin Lakes. The possible loss of in-building coverage is what may prevent several other local police departments from making the switch (e.g. Glen Rock/Ridgewood).
They should just put a site at Wyckoff PD's 175 foot Monopole, that would fix alot of coverage issues in Midland Park/Wyckoff area, tie into the Saddle Ridge site.

radiomanj1

Mahwah has access to the trunk system when or if needed - from time to time their radio ID'ds come up on the inter op TG's

Status
Not open for further replies.