MARCS for Dummies like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
I live in the Youngstown area and have programmed MARCS into my BCD996xt. I programed frequencies from several towers. Campbell, Salem, East Palestine, Leavittsburgh. .. all of which I have logged at one time or another. My scanner is not mobile.It is based between the Campbell and Salem towers.

Should I remove the other towers from my database and only keep one that gets a strong signal? Am I wasting scan time by keeping the other towers programmed, or does it make little difference. Will I continue
recieving MARCS from around the state with even one tower programmed?

W8VFD

Feed Provider
MARCS

It all depends on what you are interested in monitoring, I live and travel in the Ashtabula county area and have all towers for Ashtabula, Geauga, Lake, & Trumbull counties programmed into my scanner. As far as statewide traffic goes, you will only hear traffic from any given agency if one of their radios are affiliated with the tower that you are monitoring.

Nasby

I think you will increase your scan speed by just listening to the two strongest towers. However, you may miss some radio traffic that is assocaited with the towers you remove.

I guess it depends on what your interests are. If you like listening to mainly local stuff, I would just keep the strongest tower or two to speed up the scan speed.

After all, you could miss local radio traffic while your scanner locks onto other radio traffic of less interest to you from a tower that is further away.

OHIOSCAN

Setup

I sold my 996 and use all GRE radios for MARCS but the concept is the same.

What I like to do is set one bank with the strongest tower with all the TG's then use another with all the other towers set to wildcard. Most of the time I just monitor the 1 one main one then once in awhile the wildcard bank to see if anything new is around.

Mike

I live in the Youngstown area and have programmed MARCS into my BCD996xt. I programed frequencies from several towers. Campbell, Salem, East Palestine, Leavittsburgh. .. all of which I have logged at one time or another. My scanner is not mobile.It is based between the Campbell and Salem towers.

Should I remove the other towers from my database and only keep one that gets a strong signal? Am I wasting scan time by keeping the other towers programmed, or does it make little difference. Will I continue
recieving MARCS from around the state with even one tower programmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.