MARCS IP System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
For now it would work, yes
but MARCS-IP will eventually switch to P25 Phase 2, which the PRO-651 is currently not compatible with.

kf8yk

Is this a certainty?

Probably, but not certain.

There is no timetable or schedule to start using TDMA by the State, the only thing looming is the FCC's deadline to achieve 6.25 kHz efficiency in the 700 MHz band by the end of 2016. There has been a lot of effort from the public safety community to push the 2016 deadline out further and some states like Louisiana have been successful in getting waivers to keep using phase 1 to at least 2024.

Another issue is adding TDMA to MARCS-IP is not as simple as programming up the radios. With Motorola systems TDMA is not free, a software license must be purchased to enable the option for each site that will be used for TDMA. The cost to add dual FDMA/TDMA to the Geauga site alone is $ 1.76 million. In addition to the infrastructure costs end users must have the latest generation of portable/mobile radios (APX) and also purchase a TDMA license (about $ 230) for every radio.

Note that seeing phase 2 trunking tables in Unitrunker is not a reliable indication that a system has purchased the phase 2 software license, by default all systems from version 7.11 or newer will send phase 2 tables even if the feature was not purchased. the only sure fire method to confirm if a system is truly phase 2 capable is to observe p2 voice channel grants.

grumpy_hermit

Thanks for the input, kf8yk. With that type of financial overhead, I doubt that phase 2 will happen soon in our area.

i think i seen a post when the type-2 system is turned off the 800 MHZ frequenys will be on the new IP system as voice channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.