Marine band going digital

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
AIS is a reasonable and affordable solution.
Just what I was thinking. Also solves the issue of people needing to do reprogramming of callsign and/or vessel name in the radio when the vessel changes hands/names; just a phone call or whatever to the maintainers of the central database of MMSIs seems more likely to happen and cheaper if not free. They'd probably need to dedicate some of those newly-created channels to accommodate the increase in traffic.

KC3ECJ

Current marine radios generally are not set up to do APRS and automated morse.

So apparently you think that instead of making everyone buy new digital marine band radios, we should instead make them by new analog marine band radios that can do APRS and auto morse?

No. Not interested in making them do that.
A radio that has a jack for a removable microphone can accommodate an addon box with these capabilities.
Yes there are radios that didn't have such jacks...

prcguy

If the decision was made today to go digital on the International VHF marine band, it would have to be a global decision and not just the US. Seeing how the FCC has handled other major changes bringing in new technology, from the day they decide to go digital it will be at least 5yrs before the deadline to switch over and I suspect the USCG will continue to monitor ch16 in analog FM for some time after that.

So I don't expect anyone is going digital on the VHF marine band anytime in the near future.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No. Not interested in making them do that.
A radio that has a jack for a removable microphone can accommodate an addon box with these capabilities.
Yes there are radios that didn't have such jacks...

A couple of problems with this.

~ As you pointed out, many of the consumer/recreational grade VHF marine radios do not have removable microphones. End users wouldn't be permitted to modify the radio without the correct license (1st Class, 2nd Class, GROL), so replacement of the radio would be required, or having to pay a licensed tech to modify it would be required. Wouldn't want the recreational boaters have to upgrade to a new VHF radio with removable mic, would we?

~ No radio users are going to want to listen to APRS/DTMF/CW/MDC/Whatever bursts every time they talk to someone. Remember, these VHF marine radio don't have CTCSS/DCS squelch, so getting that burst all the time is going to get annoying. Buying new radios with CTCSS/DCS is going to be a show stopper because no one should ever be required to meet new requirements or purchase new radios. And then you have the issue with radio users missing traffic from those with old radios that can't transmit with CTCSS/DCS. Heaven forbid we require them to upgrade radios...

~ ITU would need to approve this. Remember, FCC only has authority over the USA, not the rest of the world.

~ APRS? Cute. The rest of the world has moved on while the amateur radio crowd is stuck in 1982. APRS is fun to play with, but I won't rely on it in a life or death emergency.

~ Current Part 80 rules do not permit DSC on Channel 16. Rule change, radio change, thinking change, technology change, can't have that….

12dbsinad

As an aside, trunking systems are appropriate for high-density business and public safety environments as they more efficiently utilize FNE and spectrum.
Try telling that to the countless PS personnel's family members who have loved ones that perished as a result of using a TRS that directly related to their death. They are appropriate, but to a point. When the stuff hits the fan, falling back on technology that's older than you and I is what's appropriate. Strange, isn't it.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
If the decision was made today to go digital on the International VHF marine band, it would have to be a global decision and not just the US. Seeing how the FCC has handled other major changes bringing in new technology, from the day they decide to go digital it will be at least 5yrs before the deadline to switch over and I suspect the USCG will continue to monitor ch16 in analog FM for some time after that.

So I don't expect anyone is going digital on the VHF marine band anytime in the near future.
It IS an international thing.. ITU not the FCC began all this long ago, and is the LEAD on marine bands changes. They began the narrowband maritime move, not the FCC. ITU is the lead on digital in future, NOT FCC. And thus the wahh wahh gets spanked again. All you folks go stand in the corner where you belong while the adults are the ones actually doing the research and conducting the studies etc.

prcguy

Within the jurisdiction of the United States, the FCC is in control of marine radio. Its licensed by FCC rule in the US and if you were to need a marine base station you would seek a license from the FCC for a shore station, not the ITU. Yes the ITU makes policy and other stuff on a global basis but all radios in the US are controlled by the FCC unless its a US Gov organization then its the NTIA.

It IS an international thing.. ITU not the FCC began all this long ago, and is the LEAD on marine bands changes. They began the narrowband maritime move, not the FCC. ITU is the lead on digital in future, NOT FCC. And thus the wahh wahh gets spanked again. All you folks go stand in the corner where you belong while the adults are the ones actually doing the research and conducting the studies etc.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Within the jurisdiction of the United States, the FCC is in control of marine radio. Its licensed by FCC rule in the US and if you were to need a marine base station you would seek a license from the FCC for a shore station, not the ITU. Yes the ITU makes policy and other stuff on a global basis but all radios in the US are controlled by the FCC unless its a US Gov organization then its the NTIA.
But it is not the NTIA or FCC that is the ones doing this. They are following the REST OF THE WORLD, it is the ITU and others in charge and in the leads on this. Again, go back to the corner, stop crying over milk still in the cow's teats. Not even spilled yet, and you children are crying like momma spanked you. The FCC and NTIA will just follow the trails forged by everyone else, adding their own little stupid twists on things that you will cry about when it happens.

prcguy

I seem to be the only one that pointed out this will take many years to happen and frankly I don't give a dump if VHF marine goes digital or SSB or lightwave or goes away entirely. You must have me mixed up with someone who cares. But whatever does happen will be under the control of the FCC within the US.

But it is not the NTIA or FCC that is the ones doing this. They are following the REST OF THE WORLD, it is the ITU and others in charge and in the leads on this. Again, go back to the corner, stop crying over milk still in the cow's teats. Not even spilled yet, and you children are crying like momma spanked you. The FCC and NTIA will just follow the trails forged by everyone else, adding their own little stupid twists on things that you will cry about when it happens.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The ITU seems to be inclined to use an off the shelf standard that is narrowband compliant and that decision limits them to the current offerings, not some pie in the sky miracle vocoder. This will be designed by committee instead of a straight up new design development. Mediocrity will prevail.

prcguy

And don't forget big under the table payoffs for ITU members taking bribes for going with one standard over another.

The ITU seems to be inclined to use an off the shelf standard that is narrowband compliant and that decision limits them to the current offerings, not some pie in the sky miracle vocoder. This will be designed by committee instead of a straight up new design development. Mediocrity will prevail.

RFI-EMI-GUY

And don't forget big under the table payoffs for ITU members taking bribes for going with one standard over another.
The telecom companies are probably as bad as the MIE. I recall the FCPA actually has a loophole for "tiny bribes". I missed it during a quiz for FCPA compliance and the beltway bandit firm I worked for helpfully reminded me of it though it was not in the instructional materials.

Lavish Wineing and dining is the norm in the industry.

AK_SAR

From reading comments I get the sense that many of those complaining the most about this are not actually boaters who will be impacted by this proposed move to digital on the marine bands.

While I sold my boat some years back, I still spend a good deal of time on the water, on other peoples boats, and in my sea kayak. I do have skin in the game. I think that assuming it is properly done, going digital is probably a good thing. I probably won’t live long enough to see it happen, but if I do I will happily replace my current marine band radio.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Marine band going digital? Sweet. I'm tired of buying their stuff on RCA records and tapes! (age appropriate reference)
That's cause your still paying for those 100 tapes for a dollar from Columbia House right?