Mass State Police programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I monitor the Mass State Police Zone 3 (Bristol County). Radio is SDS200. My question is I only use the Bristol County site frequencies, mainly because that site is the only one I can receive from my house. It appears the TALK GROUPS from other areas OVERLAP. In other words I can hear BAPERN talkgroups, Boston tg's, etc. I am wondering how much overlap exists. I am sure I wouldnt hear anything from western Mass or even Worcester County. I live in Cranston RI. I can hear Bourne FD from the Cape on the same Bristol/Plymouth county site. Even Provincetown. But there is another site for upper-mid cape but I can't hear those freqs....too far away. I don't understand how the TG's work as far as should I just program ALL of the Mass state PD TG's. Maybe exclude western mass. I never bothered to try cause when I got the radio I didnt realize how much overlap of TG's there was.

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Where I
I monitor the Mass State Police Zone 3 (Bristol County). Radio is SDS200. My question is I only use the Bristol County site frequencies, mainly because that site is the only one I can receive from my house. It appears the TALK GROUPS from other areas OVERLAP. In other words I can hear BAPERN talkgroups, Boston tg's, etc. I am wondering how much overlap exists. I am sure I wouldnt hear anything from western Mass or even Worcester County. I live in Cranston RI. I can hear Bourne FD from the Cape on the same Bristol/Plymouth county site. Even Provincetown. But there is another site for upper-mid cape but I can't hear those freqs....too far away. I don't understand how the TG's work as far as should I just program ALL of the Mass state PD TG's. Maybe exclude western mass. I never bothered to try cause when I got the radio I didnt realize how much overlap of TG's there was.
Where I am in New Bedford I Get both Zones 3 and 4 just as strong. Troop D runs from Bristol and Plymouth County out to the Cape
so the radios use zone 3 and 4 as wild cards what ever comes in the strongest for the radio in the car. Cape Fire net includes Wareham
Onset and Bourne and provide mutual aid to Barnstable county on the Cape. The Overlays are for Mutual aid.
If i'm Running one of my 996's in the truck zone 3 starts to die in Wareham and 4 bombs in It all is about Location,Location,Location !
Did you Notice no Dukes County on zones 3 or 4 that's because they use a Quit Quirky VHF High band system that is currently being modified
and is posted by KB1UAM.

Pete N1EXA

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I hear both Zones 3 and 4 from my location, and I hear the State PD TG's up in the Boston area only on the Zone 3 zone, so they don't all overlap, but many of the Cape Cod TG's are on both Zones.

KEWB-N1EXA

I hear both Zones 3 and 4 from my location, and I hear the State PD TG's up in the Boston area only on the Zone 3 zone, so they don't all overlap, but many of the Cape Cod TG's are on both Zones.
HI
On Zone 3 you will get Troop H which covers a big area from the RI Border ( Providence) and North of Bristol and Plymouth County.
There is no need to have them on zone 4 because there is no Mutual Aid.

Oh Ive been the the Daniel Street Pub to see the Band Shonen Knife years ago in Milford CT...

Pete N1EXA

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Oh Ive been the the Daniel Street Pub to see the Band Shonen Knife years ago in Milford CT...

Pete N1EXA
HI
On Zone 3 you will get Troop H which covers a big area from the RI Border ( Providence) and North of Bristol and Plymouth County.
There is no need to have them on zone 4 because there is no Mutual Aid.

Pete N1EXA
Great club, yes Pete. Down a mile or so from me. So does Troop H cover the Boston area also? I hear them on Zone 3 and the RR database says Boston for them, so I just assumed it was up that way also.

KEWB-N1EXA

Yes troop H covers Boston on down to the edge of Bristol and Plymouth County and on the Mass Pike out in Framingham and route 95
down to Providence But they dont go as far as Worchester thats C Troop in the P25 World... Digital Land !
The Other group you hear allot on Zone 3 is the HOC the Highway Ops Center in Boston Which is part of the Mass DOT they cover the Tunnels
and inner network in Boston.

Oh the Pez candy factory is down there too ! The Daniel Street Pub had to be around 2010 herd they closed shop years ago.
its called something else now....

1604890525268.png

Pete N1EXA

Last edited:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Yes troop H covers Boston on down to the edge of Bristol and Plymouth County and on the Mass Pike out in Framingham and route 95
down to Providence But they dont go as far as Worchester thats C Troop in the P25 World... Digital Land !
The Other group you hear allot on Zone 3 is the HOC the Highway Ops Center in Boston Which is part of the Mass DOT they cover the Tunnels
and inner network in Boston.

Oh the Pez candy factory is down there too ! The Daniel Street Pub had to be around 2010 herd they closed shop years ago.

View attachment 93847

Pete N1EXA
Nice map Pete. That explains it all. Yes Daniel Street Pub changed hands a few years ago. It is now called Eli's Tavern. There is another Eli's in New Haven and a couple more in Ct.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Troop C is on Zone 8 analog. Because of the built in overlap you'll hear tge three primary C talk groups one Zone 5. In western MA you'll hear them on both the analog and digital sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.