• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maximum Number of Personalities, Zones and Talkgroups in an APX 6000

DdeGrazia

Premium Subscriber
Question up front: Is there any documentaton that lists maximums for the configurable parts of the APX 6000 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5? I have the enviable job of creating a project plan to tune and reprogram about 1,000 APX 6000 radios. As part of the process we are changing a little bit of everything, because... why not? :-(

Some of these updates are mandated changes from other agencies so we could simply go around and update the code plugs. However, several of the updates essentially change dispatch settings so we can't really have radios with mixed settings in same department. Not good if radios cant find dispatch...

People are suggesting we essentially keep the existing codeplug in the radio and "add in" the new personalities, zones, and talkpaths as we call them, then after every radio is done we switch over. I have started doing some preliminary testing on coexistence/use of encryption keys in different zones and talkpaths and that looks like it works. First thing I see is that there are a max of 65 Zones as far as I can tell. I found that by testing.

I am trying to get some maximums for these configurations through documentation and not simply trying to build the worlds largest most complex codeplug just to hit the limits.

Any and all sage advice, witty comments, deep thoughts, pontifications, and especially documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Signed,
Desperately Seeking Documentation

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Take this advice: Give each agency the basic radio profile it NEEDS, not the deluxe profile they think they WANT. Give the mice the smallest maze to run that will get the job done.

Keep it simple for EACH customer. Don't even TRY to make a single codeplug that could be used by everybody, make a stack of them, one per agency, that is what they need, and nothing more. (Which includes all needed interoperability.)

This is something that needs to be planned out by all the "radio men" with all the various departments, in a meeting between all of them. With the radio shop guiding it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I am trying to get some maximums for these configurations
It's actually very simple. Open up a codeplug and navigate to each section, then hover over the box where you can specify how many records to add. It will pop up showing how many of each type are remaining to be added. If you start with a blank codeplug, it's that number + 1.

Note that the maximum varies in the 6000 depending on whether the radios have QA01771 Enhancement Level 2 or not.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I found this list I made a while back. These totals apply to all models of the 6000, both AN and BN. The only difference is QA01771.

Without QA01771
1000 total channels (combined total of conventional channels + trunking talkgroups)
40 Conventional Systems
255 Conventional Personalities
35 Trunking Systems
200 Trunking Personalities
48 Talkgroups per personality
65 Zones
200 Scan Lists

With QA01771
3000 total channels (combined total of conventional channels + trunking talkgroups)
50 Conventional Systems
255 Conventional Personalities
70 Trunking Systems
300 Trunking Personalities
48 Talkgroups per personality
200 Zones
200 Scan Lists