MBTA Police Radio ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt0691

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to decipher the MBTA Police Department's identifiers that they use on their radio system, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on this? Their ID's are similar to that of the Boston PD, where they will use a letter or two followed by three numbers (ex Alpha 123). So far, I have figured out the following:
Alpha - Central District (Downtown Boston/Back Bay/Longwood Area/Most of Green Line South/North & South Station)
Bravo - North District (North of Boston: Cambridge/Somerville/Malden/Revere, All commuter rail traffic out of North Station)
Charlie - South District (South side of, and South of Boston. All Commuter Rail Traffic out of South Station)
Echo - Possibly their Explosives Detection Team
Kilo - K9 Units (Typically used as the second character, ex Echo Kilo 123)
Sierra - Road Supervisor/Sergeants (Used as second character, ex Alpha Sierra 123)
Tango - Special Operations Division
I've also heard Nora and Zulu, but cannot figure those ones out (LT's or Captains? HQ Staff?)

Following the phonetics there is always a 3 number identifier. This does not seem to follow Boston PD's plan as most Transit cruisers are one officer patrols, and they use numbers from 1-7 to start, ex Alpha 123 or Bravo 319. There also does not appear to be any correlation to shift, though it does seem like Transit Officers work odd hours to complement their untraditional policing mission.

I have also heard the following:
"OCC" - Operations Control Center, appears to be the MBTA's control center staffed with a TPD Officer
"CST" - Appears to be "Crime Suppression Team" Heard serving warrants at South Station.
"North Station #" or "South Station #" - appear to be foot patrols assigned those stations
"Commuter Rail" - Officers Assigned to commuter rail - this is usually led by a phonetic, ex "Bravo Commuter Rail"
"Wagon #" - Prisoner Transport Unit

That's what I have, if anyone has anything further, please post it here. I was looking for a bit more information before I submit the data to the RR Database.

Thanks,
-Matt

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
A question about the old T-Band frequencies that the Red, Blue, Green, and Orange lines used to use, have those frequencies been repurposed by the T?

garys

Premium Subscriber
No. Everything the T does, except "The Ride" is on the Pro Voice trunk. The Ride is contracted out, but I think they use a 472.xxxx frequency for that.

The other frequencies were probably scooped up by public safety agencies.

A question about the old T-Band frequencies that the Red, Blue, Green, and Orange lines used to use, have those frequencies been repurposed by the T?

ecps92

Since there is a HOLD on any T-Band licenses [New or Modification] likely not.
The only thing the FCC has been processing is Renewals, due to the T-Band give-back which is still pending revocation :)
No. Everything the T does, except "The Ride" is on the Pro Voice trunk. The Ride is contracted out, but I think they use a 472.xxxx frequency for that.

The other frequencies were probably scooped up by public safety agencies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Since there is a HOLD on any T-Band licenses [New or Modification] likely not.
The only thing the FCC has been processing is Renewals, due to the T-Band give-back which is still pending revocation :)
That's not accurate. The FCC has processed and granted a number of T-Band new and modification applications over the past few years. They have done so on a case by case basis based on waiver requests filed along with the applications.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention that they've been on the Pro Voice 800 system for at least 15 years. I suppose if I had the interest I could dig up the old UHF frequencies and see if anyone is using them. I don't.

That's not accurate. The FCC has processed and granted a number of T-Band new and modification applications over the past few years. They have done so on a case by case basis based on waiver requests filed along with the applications.

johnrugg

As of mid April 2019, the FCC has stopped processing all T Band applications, even minor modifications within existing contours and renewals. They will all be held in pending status, as T band is due to be auctioned between 2021-2023. If a licensee expires, as long as they have a renewal application pending, they may continue to operate but will not be granted a 10 year license.

John

kennyblues

Found this, now if someone wants to research who uses these now;

Blue Line470.6875
Orange Line470.6125
Red Line: Heavy Rail470.4125
Red Line: Mattapan Trolley470.6375
Green Line470.6375

Not sur how accurate this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.